• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New unseen photos of brum

Hi Lyn, Thanks for posting them,it's a great find.
By the way have you any idea where your picture of High street Aston #19 may have been taken from? Moss

hi moss i have just edited post 19 for you...i was right about whitehead road being there...

lyn

great photos lyn
love this one i spent hours in spring hill library i read my first book there about 8years old hiedi

Some great pcs here and I am sure many will revive memories. I did believe some of the captions not quite correct, but preferred not to comment but I notice they have been mentioned and altered I expect. Regarding the Monument Road/Icknield Street/Library pic brought back memories of waiting at the bus stop in the pic after I had visited relatives nearby. I used the service Inner Circle 8 to Stratford Road and then another bus to take me south to home. This was always in the evening and once or twice I varied the journey be going in the other, longer, direction of the Inner Circle 8 route purely as a change to see how others parts of the city looked.
However going to visit the relatives I chose a completely different way. Either to the Bull Ring (note correct spelling lol), Corporation Street or Albert Street by bus or Moor Street by train then to Edmund Street for the Dudley Road services. Again there was a choice of bus here, either BCT or BMMO. This was all part of a youngsters exciting travels in the hustle and bustle of town life which made a change from the rural area where I lived.

josie i remember you telling me about how you spent hours at spring hill library..

alan i also have fond memories of the no 8 bus as i lived on that route...i had to get on it at nursery road to get to the rollar rink...very happy days indeed and please do not worry if you feel any locations made need correcting...i would rather they be right than wrong...thanks for your memories alan along with the photos they are what makes a good thread great..

lyn

Last edited:
THE NEXT 25..

ok folks here we go with the next lot...

the beginning of the rotunda

Attachments

• img881.jpg
    img881.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 147
the end of the old cafe where the rotunda now stands..

Attachments

• img882.jpg
    img882.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 178
top of snow hill and steelhouse lane..taken from boots at the top of bull st..steelhouse lane is to the right..

Attachments

• img884.jpg
    img884.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 160
upper priory taken from the gaumont..

Attachments

• img885.jpg
    img885.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 130
taken from the fire station looking towards stafford street

Attachments

• img887.jpg
    img887.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 120
the stork hotel...lower priory on left

Attachments

• img888.jpg
    img888.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 130
steelhouse lane from upper priory..the george and dragon pub...the gaumont on the left..

Attachments

• img889.jpg
    img889.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 144
snow hill...the bridge..gt charles st and livery st..

Attachments

• img893.jpg
    img893.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 112
old market hall taken from open market..

Attachments

• img894.jpg
    img894.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 138
on the right the old dental hospital bombed during the war

Attachments

• img896.jpg
    img896.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 119
bull st running into hight st..taken from the lewis building

Attachments

• img897.jpg