• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

sorry, i was assuming you were using "Durow" in the plural. There are some "Durows" also. Henry & Mary Ann Durows were at 9 Roxton place , shakespeare road 1922-1947 , with joseph Henry durows also in 1930 and George Henry & Annie in 1935, After 1935 it gets very complicated with a number of other addresses, too many to include in the post. you can access them at the MHD site (https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/eRollRan.aspx ).

This postcard is of Queen's Park, Harborne. It looks more like a painting than an actual photograph. There is no written message or stamp on the back of the card. The card was issued by Raphael Tuck & Sons, "Oilette" Postcard 7084, Birmingham Parks. Also printed on the back is "Queen's Park, Harborne. This is a residential suburb in the county of Staffordshire but included within the city of Birmingham. Twenty acres are here laid out in a pretty park where a fountain plays, seats are erected, and well-filled flower beds are provided for the pleasure of residents. The famous artist, David Cox, is buried in Harborne churchyard". Dave

Originally posted by farmerdave on the See Birmingham by Post Cards thread
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15768&page=113&p=535935#post535935

The oilette series of Tuck postcards were paintings and covered most of the beauty spots of the UK. Some of the artists who did these became quite renowned.

Trust you are keeping well, I have discovered one or two bits further about the Durows, including the fact that Francis William died in the mental asyklum at Rubery and is buried in Witton. By the way Joyce is currently very ill in hospital in Nuneaton

Bob

Not sure of the exact date of demolishing but Barclays opened in summer 1974 - late June if I remember rightly. I was one of the original 4 staff who opened it - all of us moved from Barclays, 106 Hagley Road, Edgbaston.

My great grandfather, Mr. Joseph Whitehouse owned 66 and 68 High Street, Harborne in about 1895 if not before. The original two houses were number 46 and 48 but were re-numbered post 1908. They were originally named St. Margaret's and St Winifred's. These houses were extended to become large offices, Solicitors, I think and shown on the photo of High Street in 1963 next to Tonks' Garage. Later these offices were demolished and Barclays Bank and The Open University built. I have photos of the original and the Office building if anyone wishes to view. The family sold the houses in 1922 and 1943. I was born in 1939 and left Harborne in 1961 but vaguely remember the original houses. Regards - KINS

My great grandfather, Mr. Joseph Whitehouse owned 66 and 68 High Street, Harborne in about 1895 if not before. The original two houses were number 46 and 48 but were re-numbered post 1908. They were originally named St. Margaret's and St Winifred's. These houses were extended to become large offices, Solicitors, I think and shown on the photo of High Street in 1963 next to Tonks' Garage. Later these offices were demolished and Barclays Bank and The Open University built. I have photos of the original and the Office building if anyone wishes to view. The family sold the houses in 1922 and 1943. I was born in 1939 and left Harborne in 1961 but vaguely remember the original houses. Regards - KINS

That is interesting, I take it you have heard about the recent demolition works here?

No I didn't know that either but I have heard that the Huntsman (was the Kings Arms) is falling apart !!. So where are people having their pints these days ?
KINS

No I didn't know that either but I have heard that the Huntsman (was the Kings Arms) is falling apart !!. So where are people having their pints these days ?
KINS

Ah that was a whole load of fuss! The Kings Arms had been derelict for a number of years news owner bought it, and did it up as the huntsman. It then suffered a fire about a year ago and lost most of the roof. The gutted remains of the roof were then knocked down by the wind into the High Street a few months ago!

We also lost the Scarlet Pimpernel a few years ago but don't worry there are still plenty of pubs in or just off the High Street.

We also lost the Scarlet Pimpernel a few years ago but don't worry there are still plenty of pubs in or just off the High Street.

I forgot about that one. That leaves us with the Sportsman, the Green man, the Plough, Harborne Stores, the Proverbial, the Junction and the White horse.

Hello again - you certainly have a lot of pubs. Is the Bell Inn still in existence with its bowling green ? I used to live near there many years ago and had a friend who lived at the old vicarage next door when the Rev Harvey Clark was vicar. I believe the Bishops' Croft House is still in use? It was a fairly regular occurrence to see a horse running loose from the field around the big house, one of which was a horse belonging to Mr. Grafton (Graffi) who owned the pet shop at the end of Albert Walk. No doubt all that has changed too. KINS

Hello again - you certainly have a lot of pubs. Is the Bell Inn still in existence with its bowling green ? I used to live near there many years ago and had a friend who lived at the old vicarage next door when the Rev Harvey Clark was vicar. I believe the Bishops' Croft House is still in use? It was a fairly regular occurrence to see a horse running loose from the field around the big house, one of which was a horse belonging to Mr. Grafton (Graffi) who owned the pet shop at the end of Albert Walk. No doubt all that has changed too. KINS

Funny you should say that, I forgot about the Bell! Bishop's croft and Harborne Hall are still in use (the hall providing temp accommodation last year for Harborne primary), as is the Bell Inn. It's still a nice part of Harborne with St Peter's and the other old buildings but I don't go there often. The horses have gone from there, but they are still kept round the back of Knightlow Road.

Wonderful material about W. H. Auden in Harborne! The Auden family moved to Birmingham from York in 1907 (or maybe 1908) just after little Wystan Hugh was born. His family still lived in Birmingham when he left for the US in 1939. I'm interested in the early schooling of W. H. Auden. He was sent off to preparatory school (an older bother already at St Edmund's School, Hindhead, Surrey) in 1915, where he stayed until he went to Gresham's School Norfolk, in 1920. But I'm interested in his very early education, before he went to borading school. Who taught him to read? Mrs Auden doesn't sound like the kind of mother who had the time. There is no mention of governesses, tutors, little local schools--nothing--in any of the biographies of Auden. Can any one help?--with education in Harborne (I guess we assume private education) in the years before the First World War? I can explain why I'm interested if anyone wants to know. It would just take rather a long time here! Carolyn

Back