• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Obviously no need of trams or buses here, though it must have been a scorching day as it doesn't seem to be raining so they must parasols on display and not umbrellas in this view of Corporation St which must be pre 1904 as there are no tramways.

Attachments

• City Corporation St.JPG
    City Corporation St.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 107
It reminds me of that post-atomic war film - was it "The Beach"? - where they wanted a shot of empty streets in Manhattan. They filmed at 5:00am on a Sunday when there was virtually no traffic and people and could cordon off vast areas! I remember it like that, but with more traffic and people.

Maurice

Maybe it was before an air raid or very early morning. When I worked at Cov Eve Tel the reps used to say the same when they asked the photographer to take shopping Street pictures for shopping features, there was never any people in them, never! Or inside a shop, there was never anyone inside!

great pic of the bartons bernie...its a new one to me..hope you dont mind but ive also posted it under the bartons arms thread...

lyn

great pics of heathfield and villa road bernie...certainly not seen the heathfield one before

lyn

bernie the villa road photo has hamstead road running across but i have no idea which road the heathfield road photo was taken from...will take a closer look to see if there are any clues..

Back