• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

Hi i was wondering if anyone knew of this team that was called chancellor the area was by garrison lane in the 1930 to 31 my father was in this team his name John Barnes better known as Jack. Acer.IMG_3255.JPGIMG_3254.JPG

Hi All,

This is a photo of Heybarnes Utd who played in one of the Sunday leagues. I am in the photo and played for them in ther late 1940s. Any man who lived in the Haybarnes area may remember the chap in civvies second from the left in front row. He was Billy Stokes the barber whose shop was in Heybarnes Road near Coventry Road. Billy was our chairman.

View attachment 95448

Old Boy

Blimey...that looks like Tom Finney bottom left!!

Blimey...that looks like Tom Finney bottom left!!

Hi Dennis,

No. He is nothing like Tom Finney and he certainly did not play like him. However attached is a photo of 2030 (Yardley) Squadron ATC footballl team. It is a poor photo but you or someone else may recognise the captain, holding the ball. Alternatively old boys of Bordesley Green Technical School may recognise the officer

Old Boy

2030 (Yardley) Sqdn ATC Football X1.jpg

Hi Dennis,

No. He is nothing like Tom Finney and he certainly did not play like him. However attached is a photo of 2030 (Yardley) Squadron ATC footballl team. It is a poor photo but you or someone else may recognise the captain, holding the ball. Alternatively old boys of Bordesley Green Technical School may recognise the officer

Old Boy

View attachment 95705

Well if I am ever accused of something I may have done that's illegal, and they want a witness to pick me out in a line-up PLEASE let it be you Old Boy...pretty please?

Tom F lookalike copy.jpg98-h-s-2-players.jpg

hi dennis yes look like a lot of rufeans my dad middle back row, I would like to know where they played but no response yet from anyone yet . its really an old copy thank you Jenny(Acer)

G G Jean = back on 31 July 2008 you posted a thumbnail of a Handsworth Grammar School football team that showed Johnny Salisbury. As I cannot open that thumbnail, is it possible to post the original photograph. Johnny Salisbury was my House Captain during my H.G.S. years. Regards. willey

..... . Alternatively old boys of Bordesley Green Technical School may recognise the officer

Old Boy

View attachment 95705

Hello there, Old Boy,
I went to Bordesley Green Tech and I think I recognise the officer in the photo you posted. Is it Mr E.C.E. "Eric" Lunn? I have done a fair amount of research into my former school and have come across Mr Lunn in the official school photographs of 1949, 1961 and 1964. Here they are respectively:

ECE Lunn 1949.jpg ECE Lunn 1961.jpg ECE Lunn 1964.jpg

Having been the PE master responsible for the school's football teams, he also appears on umpteen team photos.
Best wishes, David

Hi David,

Yes it is Mr Lunn. He was second in comand of 2030 (Yardley Squadron) ATC during the war years. As you can see he also ran our football team. We were quite sucessful but always got beaten by BSA Sqadron. I found Mr Lunn to be a very nice chap.

No one,as yet, has come up with a suggestion as to who the captain might be. Think of Brummies who became sucessful entertainers.

Regards Chris Beresford(Old Boy)

Hello again, Chris,
I'd like to take you up on your second challenge.
Is the captain Geoffrey Paddison? Geoffrey was probably better known to most people as the opera singer David Hughes (born 11 October 1929 – 19 October 1972), the Birmingham-born (Bournbrook) tenor with Welsh forefathers.
Am I right?
Kind regards, David

Yes Lyn. There are so many of these photos around, with lots of unnamed individuals, but if you know your relation was part of one of these groups, it's a good starting point for an image of the person. When I see young people in photos like the next two, you wonder about their story. Did they make it through WW1?

First is Ladywood United F.C 1913-14, the second is of the Wesleyan Cricket Club - champions 1910 ,1911 and 12. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 102
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Three more sporting group photos, all local football teams; Saltley, Brookvale and Drews Lane. Viv.

Hello again, Chris,
I'd like to take you up on your second challenge.
Is the captain Geoffrey Paddison? Geoffrey was probably better known to most people as the opera singer David Hughes (born 11 October 1929 – 19 October 1972), the Birmingham-born (Bournbrook) tenor with Welsh forefathers.
Am I right?
Kind regards, David
Hello David. Of course you are right. The captain was Geoff Paddison, better known as David Hughes. For the life of me I cannot think why I missed answering your post at the time. I am extremely sorry.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Another proper grown up team from Small Heath area that shook the World just before my prime fooitballing time (1953-54). DIGBY UNITED. Sponsored by the true Brummy Digby family.

My late and much loved Brother in Law Johnny Ellis is third from left back row, and his mate Deakin is third from right, back row. I do not know the others. Both of these men had trials for Pro Clubs, and both represented the National Army side (National Service was rife then of course). Any further info on any of these blokes would be tremendous.

View attachment 82061
Dennis, my Dad Clifford Jones was from Small Heath and often spoke of playing for a team called Digby back in the 50's but he always referred to them as 'Digby Amateurs', would this be the same team as Digby United?

This is a bit of a long shot this but does anybody remember Saltley Spartak? I used to play with them around '65, '66. Used to convene at The Gate, Alum Rock if I remember correctly. Can't remember much about the league we played in or where but players names do come to mind: Roger Deakin, Rob Smith, Dave Miller, Wally Slaughter, Robert Blythe, Melvin Hicks, Reggie Pink, Neil Reynolds, Kevin Kane, Billy Derby. Hoping for a lucky hit! David Quick

From 1956-59 played in the South Bham Sunday Lge for a teamcalled Hayden Rangers.Anyone remember us.We were from Glebe Farm Stechford

Hi Paul,I remember all the names you mention but only Freddie (Jumbo) Clarke in the picture.
You are correct that is Freddie Clarke on the far right and also, the guy to the left of the goalie is Charlie Cooke - I know because Freddie (Jumbo) and Charlie were both my Uncles . I’m also pretty aure the man next to Uncle Fred is Johhny Farmer. This must be a very early Jumbos 11 team - way before Timmy Alsop, Timmy Clarke, Paul & Mark Gardner, Tony Mcabe, Frankie Mceaver etc etc.

Re: South Yardley Amateurs A and B teams. I played in goal for the team that had Graham Lovett, Les Sparkes, Alan Jones, Jeff Mayo, Alan Robinson, Ray Taylor, Jimmy Ravenhill, Mickey Cartwright, Kennt Dixon. We started out as Yardley Stonehouse in the South West Birmingham Boys League when I was 12 years old and then we changed to South Yardley Amateurs. Made the Villa Cup final where Ray South was in the team which means that the A and B teams were combined for this game. Albert Hill was our Manager. I remember an A v B game somewhere. Great set of Mum and Dad supporters.

Here is photo of my father-in-law William Fenton ( Bill ) in the Wood End F.C. team. I am not sure if this is a team in Birmingham or if it is the village near Kingsbury ( which seems unlikely). He played for many teams both before and after the war.
I will post pictures of his medals that we have in a separate post.
Bill is 2nd from the left front row.

006.jpg

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Last edited:
As promised photos of my father-in-laws medals awarded to him for his footballing. He was William Edward Fenton and seems to have played football all over Birmingham. As you can see he had a very successful at football. His school report said not very academic, good at football. He also played football for his squadron whilst in the RAF during the war ( never mind the war there is a football match to play ! They would fly him back from France just to play.)

Titles :- Top left & right & Bottom r Birmingham & district Wednesday League
Bottom L :-Campbell Orr Challenge shield
002.jpg

Reverse of medals
Inscriptions-: T L Finalist 51-52
TR Buttler Cup 54-54
BL Won by Handsworth & Dist League 46-7
BR 2nd Div Winners 54-4
003.jpg

Titles :- TL & R Shirley Charity Cup
BL Templars Midland AFL 1934-5 ( This ties in with the photo In my previous post )
BR Erd Palace FC 37-8
004.jpg

Reverse inscriptions
TL Winner 35-6
TR Runner Up 36-7
BL Wood End FC Champions
BR W E F
005.jpg

Titles TL & R Handsworth & Dist Football L
BL Birmingham Sunday League
BR Birmingham Youth & Old Boys Am FA
No reverse inscriptions on these
006.jpg

Titles L Birmingham Festival League 1951
R No title
007.jpg

I have included all the above info in case you can't see it on the photos.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Back