• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

Here is the photo I was looking for. Michael's Dad was a referee and helped a lot with the club.

This was Charnford Mills Southalls 1935.

img057.jpg

I again was sent these photo's a few years ago now, sorry but I forgotten the name of the person(s) who sent them to me, I think that the last two are from the Alum Rock area, and the other is Gooch St Highgate ......I just love the photographs from that era.....gooch.jpegHighfield Rover s1915.JPGHighfield Rovers.JPG

if you look at the last two, the person in the middle row far right in the first photo.....looks like the lad who is sitting behind the ball in the second photograph ?,

Hi All
Another from the past.Marco FC winners of the South Bham Sunday league 1959 or1960. Picture taken at Asells brewery canteen.
Some names i can remember on picture, Les Bishop,Ken Mann, George Mcleary,Graham Willcox, Ron Berry and me Ken Harris.
Some old Bluenoses may spot the old Blues player in photo, Eddie Brown, he presented the shield and medals
KEN

Attachments

• MARCO.jpg
    MARCO.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 61
I wonder if anyone can help a friend of mine.A friend of his celebrates his 70th birthday this year,and he is looking for any information he can get on a Sunday morning team he played for in the early to mid 1960s.
The team were called ROCKWOOD ALBION they were based in Alum Rock/Washwood Heath area.
Some of the names he remembers are.Brian Phillips.Graham Spencer.Graham Baffery.John Wellings.Bobby Heath.David(Ginger)Bryan.? Webb.
The manager was known as Satchmo.
Any information would be much appreciated.Moss

hey moss, hope you are well, i had a few games for rockwood around 68/69 with peter hadland,i think their homeground was the gas
all the best paul.

HI
Sorry i am unable to help on this one. All my junior football was mainly played on the South side of the city,in the South Bham Sunday
league. Iremember the name but that is all.
KEN

Hi Paul,I am well thank you,I hope you are too.
Well fancy you playing for Rockwood,I had never heard of them until my mate set me this task.They must have played at a good level if you played for them.
Thanks to both you and Ken for responding to my question.Moss

hey moss, hope you are well, i had a few games for rockwood around 68/69 with peter hadland,i think their homeground was the gas
all the best paul.

So did I. The manager of Sutton Town youth, who I played for as well, moved to Rockwood around that time. I think his name was Reg Brassington or something like that, and he was a bit short of players for a couple of weeks. Funny how these things stick in your mind, but I remember bumping in to him outside Withers by Snow Hill station and him asking me to play.

moss, on the subject of rose villa, i remember i was too young to go in the stag after the games,and would stand outside
with me glass of pop and packet of nibbets, some of the names i remember, NANA HARRIS,YOUR BILLY,REG WILLIAMS,JNR & SNR,
ZAGGY, BILLY LAKES, JIMMY WATTS, FREDDIE CROMPTON, and last but not least yourself our attacking left full-back. the picture
is the team that came after rose villa, do you recognise anyone. all the best.paul. img110.jpg

hello john, how are you doin, yes along with you and many other good players, regards, paul p.
have you any pics john.

hello paul nice to hear of you sorry have no pics but alot of great memories ithink peter hadland has couple i will ask next time i see him good to hear from you regards jh

Hi All,

This is a photo of Heybarnes Utd who played in one of the Sunday leagues. I am in the photo and played for them in ther late 1940s. Any man who lived in the Haybarnes area may remember the chap in civvies second from the left in front row. He was Billy Stokes the barber whose shop was in Heybarnes Road near Coventry Road. Billy was our chairman.

scan0001 (1280x834) (2) (1268x812).jpg

Old Boy

Hi i was wondering if anyone knew of this team that was called chancellor the area was by garrison lane in the 1930 to 31 my father was in this team his name John Barnes better known as Jack. Acer.IMG_3255.JPGIMG_3254.JPG

Hi All,

This is a photo of Heybarnes Utd who played in one of the Sunday leagues. I am in the photo and played for them in ther late 1940s. Any man who lived in the Haybarnes area may remember the chap in civvies second from the left in front row. He was Billy Stokes the barber whose shop was in Heybarnes Road near Coventry Road. Billy was our chairman.

View attachment 95448

Old Boy

Blimey...that looks like Tom Finney bottom left!!

Blimey...that looks like Tom Finney bottom left!!

Hi Dennis,

No. He is nothing like Tom Finney and he certainly did not play like him. However attached is a photo of 2030 (Yardley) Squadron ATC footballl team. It is a poor photo but you or someone else may recognise the captain, holding the ball. Alternatively old boys of Bordesley Green Technical School may recognise the officer

Old Boy

2030 (Yardley) Sqdn ATC Football X1.jpg

Hi Dennis,

No. He is nothing like Tom Finney and he certainly did not play like him. However attached is a photo of 2030 (Yardley) Squadron ATC footballl team. It is a poor photo but you or someone else may recognise the captain, holding the ball. Alternatively old boys of Bordesley Green Technical School may recognise the officer

Old Boy

View attachment 95705

Well if I am ever accused of something I may have done that's illegal, and they want a witness to pick me out in a line-up PLEASE let it be you Old Boy...pretty please?

Tom F lookalike copy.jpg98-h-s-2-players.jpg

hi dennis yes look like a lot of rufeans my dad middle back row, I would like to know where they played but no response yet from anyone yet . its really an old copy thank you Jenny(Acer)

G G Jean = back on 31 July 2008 you posted a thumbnail of a Handsworth Grammar School football team that showed Johnny Salisbury. As I cannot open that thumbnail, is it possible to post the original photograph. Johnny Salisbury was my House Captain during my H.G.S. years. Regards. willey

..... . Alternatively old boys of Bordesley Green Technical School may recognise the officer

Old Boy

View attachment 95705

Hello there, Old Boy,
I went to Bordesley Green Tech and I think I recognise the officer in the photo you posted. Is it Mr E.C.E. "Eric" Lunn? I have done a fair amount of research into my former school and have come across Mr Lunn in the official school photographs of 1949, 1961 and 1964. Here they are respectively:

ECE Lunn 1949.jpg ECE Lunn 1961.jpg ECE Lunn 1964.jpg

Having been the PE master responsible for the school's football teams, he also appears on umpteen team photos.
Best wishes, David

Hi David,

Yes it is Mr Lunn. He was second in comand of 2030 (Yardley Squadron) ATC during the war years. As you can see he also ran our football team. We were quite sucessful but always got beaten by BSA Sqadron. I found Mr Lunn to be a very nice chap.

No one,as yet, has come up with a suggestion as to who the captain might be. Think of Brummies who became sucessful entertainers.

Regards Chris Beresford(Old Boy)

Hello again, Chris,
I'd like to take you up on your second challenge.
Is the captain Geoffrey Paddison? Geoffrey was probably better known to most people as the opera singer David Hughes (born 11 October 1929 – 19 October 1972), the Birmingham-born (Bournbrook) tenor with Welsh forefathers.
Am I right?
Kind regards, David

Back