• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Washwood Heath bus garage

Hi Wendy,

I have some photo's for Rick Scott, of people at Washwood Heath Depot, which is the best way to send them they are on a PDF.

They are from 1981 when Charlie Court, W Kerr,Ray Houghton, Authur Lovell and myself on our last day at work. They were retiring and I was off to Australia.
Regards, Ric.

Hi Ric I am not great with tech but personally I upload photo's onto the site's immage hosting site above then upload them onto my posts. I am not sure about PDF perhaps someone with more knowledge can help. Michael says hello to Sue as well. He left the buses before I met him so just passing messages..lol

You are right with all those names , I remember hiding from george Phillpots in the breakfast room when he came around with the overtime sheets...we had heaps of overtime in those days. Ric.

Does anyone hear from Roy Hackett from Lea Hall Depot, a friend whoe's company I enjoyed and also a good footballer, although because he played for Lea Hall instead of Washwood Heath he never won any thing....too late now Roy.

Ric Cole.

Hi

If I remember correctly Roy Hackett finished off on medical grounds too. Can't remember what it was for exactly now. Think it was around 2005/2006ish
Hope that helps
Ash

Hi, my name is Colin Cole. I now live in Australia, I have lived here for the last 13 years. Rick is my brother who also lives here as does my younger brother Paul who also worked on the buses. My other brother Rod also worked on the buses. I knew Tony Cole very well but didn't realise that he passed away. Another old friend from those days was Barry Stewart who was known as mousey.

Hi Colin, welcome to the forum
My exhusband is John Altimas (Washwood Heath 1961-1988) and my sister Norma Moore, conductress at Washwood Heath.
John has lunch once a month with Ken McCormack, Chris Kearney, Alan Whalley,Don Turner.etc. all long retired.
I am still in touch with Gerry and Maura Doran.

If you put Washwood Heath Bus garage into search at the top of the page you will find Rics posts and others also.

I am a moderator on the forum and another moderator (Wendy) is married to Michael Partridge who was also a driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Cole was not related to Ric or Colin Cole. Colin and myself are brothers and joined the B.C.T in 1964. I stayed for seventeen years and enjoyed my time there with all the characters working there, including the dreaded Charlie Peel.

I played football for Washwood Heath garage for many years, managed by Ken McCormack. I fondly remember the Morrissey brothers,Gerry Doran. Does anyone hear from any of these people now?

I have been living in Perth Western Australia for the last 33 years. Regards to everyone Ric Cole.

Hi Ric
Do you remember me, Noel Gray, Centurian Joggers.

If you want to catch up then email me on; [email protected].

Regards

Noel

:thumbsdown:Reading thru the threads about the buses,how many Ex-Washwood heath bus drivers are out there.Come on,own up,I was there in the 80's before moning across the city to another garage.Used to be a great company to work for,now totally ruined.

You must have been at Washwood Heath Garage when I was there (1982-1993). I was the Admin Clerk and my office was behind the Garage Engineer's office on the shop floor, then we moved to the into the new block and our offices were on the middle floor between the Traffic Office on the ground floor and the canteen on the top floor.

I knew someone called Tony Cole who worked there, he was a driver then became an inspector. He lived by me one time. Lost touch with him when I moved house.

Terry

When I was at Washwood Heath, Jim Mitchell was the Traffic Manager and Tony Cole was "No. 1", the head Inspector, then he went on to become the Traffic Manager. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

Other inspectors were Les Linnecor, Mark Pollock, (John) Desmond Orr, Brian Morrissey, (Ciaran) Patrick Heney, Cheryl Murtagh, Tony Heywood

thank you,the places brings back some memories,
how times change.i know the flats in herrick road was demolished a long time ago,places we grew up and had great fun as kids not there anymore quite sad really ,time goes on.

Hi Ricky Cole,Roy Hackett here,hope you Susan&family ok.l retired from buses 2007 after doing 42years.l retired at 60 not medically turned down as someone said.Not done nothing since just taking life easy as possible.I'm not too hot on today's technology,and have only just came across your comments from 2013 on Rick Scott's blog.l can see you've done well for yourself and are having nice life.Not many of us left from your time here,Tony Cole,Roger Banks,just two of many who have died.Morrissey brothers ok,Ken Macormac ok but wife died.I have pint with John McNamara once a week whose wife Val who was conductress died 13 yrs ago.Garage is now supermarket now,Cross Guns pub now houses.Thats all for now Ricky,remember me to your brothers and I'll just end by saying I played football for Lea Hall instead of Washwood Heath as I did not want you to feel inferior.Look after yourselves.Roy Hackett

tks for you fotos I haven't been on here for a while,any more recent photos from saltley wood be nice tks
Rob

Does anyone hear from Roy Hackett from Lea Hall Depot, a friend whoe's company I enjoyed and also a good footballer, although because he played for Lea Hall instead of Washwood Heath he never won any thing....too late now Roy.

Ric Cole.

Ric Cole.
Hi Ricky,I'm still breathing,retired 2007 after 42years,doing nothing just trying keep breathing.Glad you and Sue and family over there are well.As I said in blog down below I'm not to good on today's technology so don't expect too much.If this message catches up with you,I fill you in with more information later.Best wishes to you and Sue and brothers.Roy Hackett. PS Going to Wilf Fitzgerald funeral tomorrow 02/12/2016.

Only just found this site, so here goes.I am still alive and kicking but bad on legs now, so don't get about much.Saw Roy Hackett in Tamworth about 18 months ago in Tamworth where I live. Heard from my son Tony, that Tony Heywood is still around. Washwood Heath in 70s, happy days.

When I was at Washwood Heath, Jim Mitchell was the Traffic Manager and Tony Cole was "No. 1", the head Inspector, then he went on to become the Traffic Manager. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

Other inspectors were Les Linnecor, Mark Pollock, (John) Desmond Orr, Brian Morrissey, (Ciaran) Patrick Heney, Cheryl Murtagh, Tony Heywood
Sorry to hear about Tony Cole, I was another of the Inspectors, there was also Jerry Mills as well.

Hi Alan,Roy Hackett here,like your self I not too good on these sites.Sorry to here your legs not so good since we last met,I keep a look out for you when we pop over Tamworth.Quite a few workmates have passed on since your days at Washwood.Tony Cole ,Roger Banks,Will Fitzgerald just to mention a few.My mate John McNamara has had a lung complaint a few years but his treatment has stopped working and he his now seriously ill.Look after yourself.I still remember you booking me for running early when you knew I was suppose to be immune from bookings.Roy

Back