• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finnemore help please

M

margaret sheridan

Hi there,
I would be most interested in any mention of Clara and John ( Jack) Finnemore who I understand were living in Aston near "Six Ways" in 1920
Any help much appreciated :) :) :) :)
Margaret

Hello there,

Don't know if this is of any help, I rember our window cleaner was
a Frank Finnemore. He lived in Finch Road, Handsworth and during
the middle 1960's he owned a fish and chip shop, almost opposite
the Plaza dance hall in Rookery Road, Handsworth.

Some years ago my mum knew a Finnemore.He used to be in charge of a chapel of sorts in Great King Street in Hockley.As far as I remember he was also a judge or magistrate or something like that.My mum passes away sometime ago so I can't find out anything there but I will ask one of my aunts if she knows anything.I also seem to remember he was a Sir.BobS.

Margaret,
The Electoral Register for 1925, shows John and Clara Finnemore living at 17 Great Lister Street, Duddeston & Nechells Ward.
Ann

And Margaret,
The 1930 Register shows John Wesley Finnemore and Clara living at 4 Clifton Place, Kent Street North, All Saints Ward.
So looks like Clara was Clara Binder and they married Birmingham 1918 Jul Sep volume 6d page 503.
Hope this is of some help.
Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a company in the Jewelery Quarter named Finnemore and something. Also there is the genealogist for the BMSGH Joyce Finnemore she is often on Ed Doolans show.

hi i was too young but i lived at judge finnemore address in handsworth my mum used to clean for him and his sister and my dad harry used to be caretaker he had his own room and my two brothers and me used to stay there sometimes i remember his sister more he but my brother got his photo on his wall and his sister allways used to do me a milky coffee and something to eat

Hi there,
I would be most interested in any mention of Clara and John ( Jack) Finnemore who I understand were living in Aston near "Six Ways" in 1920
Any help much appreciated :) :) :) :)
Margaret
My name is Derek Binder, and Clara was I believe was my grandmother, she gave birth to my dad in Ashby del la Zouch, unmarried. Then I believe she came to Birmingham, met John Wesley Finnimore
, and married him. Don't know much else of them, apart from a few addresses, and dates of their deaths.
any info would be appreciated

Clara annie J Binder born Burton on trent 1891

1901 Lichfield street Burton.

Thomas william Binder, age 35 shoemaker b Crich Derbys
Harriet age 40 b birmingham
William C B 17
Charles M 12
Clara A J 10
Alice May 7
Lilian May 4
Joseph L T age 7 months all children born burton

Thomas and Harriet are at 20 Tamworth road Ashby de la Zouch in 1911 with 2 of their children Joseph 10, Arrabella 8
census says 10 childen 8 still living.

Clara annie J Binder born Burton on trent 1891

1901 Lichfield street Burton.

Thomas william Binder, age 35 shoemaker b Crich Derbys
Harriet age 40 b birmingham
William C B 17
Charles M 12
Clara A J 10
Alice May 7
Lilian May 4
Joseph L T age 7 months all children born burton

Thomas and Harriet are at 20 Tamworth road Ashby de la Zouch in 1911 with 2 of their children Joseph 10, Arrabella 8
census says 10 childen 8 still living.
I believe Clara had moved to towards birmingham, by then, became pregnant, moved back to Ashby to have my father, June1912, with her family. My fathers birth was registered in Ashby.
I presume she moved back to Birmingham to work and met & married widower John W Finnemore in 1918.
My main thing I would like to know, is where they were buried. Any information would be appreciated.
Found that Clara died in birmingham in 1970, I didn't know of her, so never met her.

I believe Clara had moved to towards birmingham, by then, became pregnant, moved back to Ashby to have my father, June1912, with her family. My fathers birth was registered in Ashby.
I presume she moved back to Birmingham to work and met & married widower John W Finnemore in 1918.
My main thing I would like to know, is where they were buried. Any information would be appreciated.
Found that Clara died in birmingham in 1970, I didn't know of her, so never met her.

Clara was at 225 Bristol Road,Birmingham in 1911, the home of Israel Belcher, she was a general servant.

About 1960 I played football for the 68th company Boys Brigade at the Baptist church in Great Barr. On a Saturday lunch time a mate and myself had arrived early at playing fields tucked away off Aldridge Road opposite the Boars Head to mark out the pitch.This posh car maybe a roller arrived and a guy got out and walked towards us.After this fellow had said a few words my mate who was not backward in coming forward then asked "Whats your name Mister?" His Reply was Finnemore ....Donald Finnemore.Hearing that I got goosebumps as I had read many reports in the "Mail" and "Post" as a paperkid where he had handed out a death sentence.I said hardly a word with him even asking if "Has the cat got your tongue"

I understand Sir Donald was the last Judge to hang anyone in Birmingham, yet he was a very religious person and involved with the People Chapel in Hockley and helped start off Kingstanding Baptist Church, both with Boys Brigade Companies. he was a legend in our family when I was young, with my elder brothers knowing him in the 1st A and my parents having met him many times.
Brian

No relation , just giving info from records.

Found out that Clara Anne Jane Finnemore died in 1970, and was buried in Witton cemetery in a common grave, with no record of the husband Jonh Wesley Finnemore at the cemetery or eslewhere in Birmingham.
She was buried only about 100yrs from from her son and my father in Witton cemetery. Which I find strange, because I don't think my father had any contact with is mother????? As all is children had any idea they had a grandmother upto 1970.

Re: Finnemore Clara nee Binder please help

Does anyone have any info on Clara AnneJane Binder who married a JW Finnemore.
Are there any relatives, who knew either of them, I think they lived in Ladywood and edgbaston
after they were married.
I would love any photos of my grandmother, her son, my father, and I think she had daughter after
she married JW Finnemore.

Back