• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

Lynn I must have got mixed up with my rellies in Bracebridge Street, I have just checked on electoral roll and they lived 49. Old boyfriend lived at 215.

lol carolina dont worry about it my middle name is mixed up especially when it comes to rellies...at least you have it sorted out now

lyn x

Last edited:
BRIAN SKELDINGS VISIT THE BULL 30.8.14 005.JPGBRIAN SKELDINGS VISIT THE BULL 30.8.14 008.JPGBRIAN SKELDINGS VISIT THE BULL 30.8.14 002.JPGhi folks had a lovely couple of hours at the bull today..lovely to see brian and normajean skelding again they really enjoyed seeing us and eric presented them with a painting of the bull to take back to canada they were delighted with it...just a couple of photos here...from left to right..josietrue and her sister eileen..eric..normajean..brian..myself and mikejee..looks like im catching flys on the outside shot lol

Last edited:
just a small impromtu gathering froth although i did post on this thread the other day about it...photos posted.. had trouble with the manage attachments...the next official meet up will be for christmas...

I was going to the Welly today but Brian isn't too well.
Glad you had a good time today.
Where you going for Christmas ?

I was going to the Welly today but Brian isn't too well.
Glad you had a good time today.
Where you going for Christmas ?

thanks froth...can you tell brian i hope he feel better soon please..details of the christmas meet will be on the meet up thread when ive worked it out lol..

cracking painting again eric...i know it will be taking pride of place in canada..
lovely to see you and sis josie...
thanks carol hope to see you at the christmas meet...:encouragement:

lyn

Thanks for the enjoyable afternoon at the Bull. It was wonderful to meet all of you.
Thank you Eric for the painting of the Bull.
We were concerned about the painting during the flight but the crossing on the ferry from
Vancouver to Nanaimo was rougher than the flight and the painting arrived perfectly safe.
Brian

hi bri it was lovely to see you and normajean again..really enjoyed it and it was good for me in the fact that i actually got to talk to everyone lol..
glad you arrived home safely and hope to see you on your next visit..

lyn x

Hi, not sure if you've already found it but there's a picture of the bandstand just after the war on the Walmer Rec thread.

Hi all, my name is Doug O' Brien. Our entire family lived at 2 back of 212 Bracebridge St from around 1963 to 1966. Our wonderful mother Anne raised six of us single handedly. We have vague memories of the McCormick family as specifically we remember Veronica as she sometimes baby sat for our mom & she was in & out of our house all day long. We also remember her brother Peter too.

Because it was so long ago we are not entirely sure where our house was on Bracebridge St so we would be extremely grateful if someone could provide a map with an exact pinpoint location.

We remember The Woodcock family, the Broome family who we used to tease over the wall whilst they were all taking it in turns to have a bath & the Beatlestones & a lovely lady called Audrey who sadly passed away. We also remember Bowaters Grocery shop, The House that Jack built & the rag & bone man who used to hand out balloons to the kids. We also used to attend William Cowper St Infant School too.

Somewhere nearby was a large concrete park or recreation ground which we seem to remember contained a large old train engine & a bandstand. Again we would be grateful if anybody else can shed any light on this & oncemore pinpoint their location. Again if anybody could provide any photographs that would be truly wonderful.
[/QUOTE]

Doug
I don't know if this will help but go to page one of this thread and look at the messages as there are a couple of maps of Aston with Bracebridge Street shown. I lived at 160 which is opposite the Brass Foundry and if I remember correctly no 71 is shaded in red. You map be able to identify 212 from that otherwise the gentleman that posted the maps may be able to help.
Cheers
Dave Bunford

post 61 gives a map and highlights no 212...it was very near the newtown row end..

penny thank for the reminder...i meant to post map and photo of the walmer rec ground on this thread but completely forgot all about it...so here they are photo of the rec ground which was set in a triangular shape and a map showing the location...sad to say that the whole of that triangle area is now factory units etc and car park...both will enlarge when clicked on twice..good to see you on this thread dave im sure if mike sees this when he has time he will post you a map highlighting your house at no 160..

lyn

Walmer%20Rec.jpgwalmer%20recreation%20ground%201937.jpg

Last edited:
I already have posted a map showing no 2 back 212 Bracebridge somewhere. anyway here it is again. also another with no 160 in red. both are from around 1950

bracebridge_st_c_1950A_showing_no_160.jpg

west_end_bracebridge_st_showing_no_2_back_212_bracebridge_st.jpg

Back