• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cromwell street.

john knight

signman
This is the only photo I know of Cromwell Street, we lived at no.80. next door to the Cromwell Arms, 1939-1953, when we moved to Fosbrooke Road(off the Hobmoor Road.)
I don't remember where I got the photo so cannot give credit.
I went to the school (centre) where the railings are.
Nechells Cromwell St 1935.jpg

John

I thought that you had got these, this one of the Cromwell Arms shows your house I believe, there is one of The Gunmakers Arms and another of a back court with no given location.

Attachments

• Nechells Cromwell Arms Cromwell St .jpg
    Nechells Cromwell Arms Cromwell St .jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Nechells Gunmakers Arms Cromwell St (2).jpg
    Nechells Gunmakers Arms Cromwell St (2).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Nechells Cromwell St .jpg
    Nechells Cromwell St .jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 84
phil ive also got that first one of the cromwell arms...think john must have it as well...also think jims one of cromwell st is milk st...another wrong caption i think..

lyn

Last edited:
my great uncle lived in cromwell st his name was charles concannen and was in the RWR
he died in WWI ee662b8a-da76-41d9-8d34-0aba18650638.jpgJ
josie

Thanks Postie, but never thought that was Cromwell St., Phil, yes got them all,but what I meant was a picture of the street itself, Josie, my father was in the ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS in the first world war
and is mentioned in a book written by my brother, FIGHTING WITH THE ROYAL WELSH (MEN OF THE MIDLANDS IN THE ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS 1900-1919) which also has information on quite a few other men with photographs and mini biographies, over a 100, if anyone would like me to have a look for a relative in the book let me know, will be only too glad to do so.

John

There is of course always this one, but I'm sure you have seen this one many times before.

Attachments

• Nechells Cromwell St 1954.jpg
    Nechells Cromwell St 1954.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 79
phil
would you mind if i copyed the photo please
would like to know where number 60 was in cromwell street
with thanks josie

Josie

Copy away, it's not my photo and it's all over the net anyway so I doubt it's copyrighted.

On the 1881 census my grandad aged 4, his sister aged 11, were living with their widowed father and their grandad at 107 Cromwell Street.

phil in your last pic is cromwell st to the right or running down??

josie if mike sees this thread he maybe able to post you a map showing no 60

lyn

hi lyn
hopefully mike will see it he as put quite a few maps on the furum for me where my relatives lived
josie

thanks john thought it was the one running down..dont give up on more pics being found...they are out there somewhere as proved many times with other streets and roads..

lyn

No 60 is in red on the map c 1913 of Cromwell st

map_c_1913_top_half_cromwell_st_showing_no_60.jpg

Hi john
I have just found the picture you put up of Cromwell street
1935 in a book I have
It states that Cromwell street ,an Irony of history. Cromwell Street bedecked in red white and blue for the silver jubilee
of King George V in 1935.
Royalist Celebrations in a street Named After oliver Cromwell,,
There is also A legend that King Charles 11 his at nonsuch farm,Bartley Green, during his Escape after his defeat at the Battle of worcester
In 1651 ,this could be why Cromwell Lane, Bartley Green is so named, Similarly Spies Lane in near by Quinton is surprised to Allude
To Cromwell Soldiers whom searched for the King who thought to have hidden inHowley grange Farm,
Oliver Street and Cromwell street in duddeston is obviously named after Oliver Cromwell
Whilst close by Rupert Street refers to Prince Rupert whom attacked Birmingham with his royalist ,in 1643.
Hence the naming o . The prince Rupert Pub Aston,,,, best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,

Back