• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restoration of KDZ 5805

Glad it arrived safely at Gt Wyrley Tom, excellent photograps too. Look forward to seeing the video. So now the hard work begins....

:)
Brilliant youtube video Tom, you are clearly a man of many talents. One thing that occurs to me is that now the days are becoming short a generator and floodlights would be very useful for evening work :D

Re: help wanted please..

hi i used to work on this bus in 1999 up to may 2000 it was owned by universal buses limited at the time and then when they where taken over by stagecoach they parked it in manchester depot for a while until sold just a bit off history for u we also had 5801 5803 5804

Hi all, does anyone know where I can get hold of some original blinds for 805? (apart from getting some new ones made)

Thanks in advance

Tom

Sadly Tom had to part with 805, but it passed to a couple of keen enthusiasts and now resides at Wythall museum, and is fully operational although not street legal or cosmetically tidy yet. Early days though!
544533_10151701735575787_1834650840_n.jpg
Photo:M Lowry.

Last edited:
oh thats brilliant news lloyd thanks for the update on 805..as you know our tom was gutted having to part with it due to losing his storage yard...so pleased that things are moving on with the old bus...dare say tom will be on later to make a post...

cheers

lyn

hi lloyd tom will be at wythall museum today and hoping to take a look at KDZ 5805

lyn

Didn't see him unfortunately, only the back is visible at the moment but I could have shown him round it - if he comes again tell him to ask for me at the workshops. I am now 1/3 owner of it. The seats have been refitted in their original posiitions, WMT cash vault & ticket machine fitted, some damaged panels replaced and aluminium for others aquired. Original type Walsall garage destination blinds fitted and new rear 'number' box made, ready to fit. Correct pattern seat moquette aquired ready to have seats reupholstered. Hoping to get it up to ready for repaint stage this year, on the road during 2015.

Lloyd.

lloyd toms really chuffed that things are going well with the bus...said he will ask for you next time he is at the museum..

lyn

Latest update - a complete new exhaust system has been acquired and fitted to the bus, it's quiet again now! Still a lot to do though, and don't get as much time on it as I'd like to. Won't be ready for repaint this year but most of the mechanical work will be finished over the winter I hope (if it isn't too cold!).

It was, but other bits hadn't got long to live so I just replaced it all. Might as well do the job properly!

Thanks for the update Lloyd. Time I paid a visit to the Museum.

hi lloyd i know our tom is chuffed that his old bus is being well looked after....he will be online later on...

lyn

Thought I should say thanks to Tom for saving a nice little bus.
Whilst we hear so much negatives about the youth of to-day we do get the odd good news story.
I once gave some good advice to a young man, son of a friend, he was into Rolls Royce cars, mad about them.
I suggested that he should lower his sites a little and go for something more within his reach, maybe a Chevrolet or the like.
I'm pleased to report that he ignored me, is the proud owner of two Rollers and is held in high respect by fellow RR fanatics. He judges at events, was paid to go to the UK to advise a college on his purchase and drove said vehicle round Pommieland for a couple of weeks.
The story goes on and it all started as a dream when he was young and struggling. The other nice spin off is that his father and mother have also been involved in this dream and attend club events in their retirement.
If you are still reading this saga when his parents had The Big Holiday in the UK they popped into the Bentley factory and introduced themselves. To their delight the sales manager( who was waiting on an Arab Prince who was running late) took them on a tour of the factory, and I'm sure he was aware that Terry and Marion were not in the bracket to be buying a new Bentley.

I can only say that my part in all this is that I introduced young Mark to a man who was restoring a RR, who I just happened to meet when walking my dog , whilst taking a break from spending too much money on keeping an old boat afloat, that just wanted to sink.

So Tom just follow your bent and ignore helpful advise from those who don't always know better!
Cheers Tim.

Back