• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

Here is a rather later picture I took in the early 1970s

13B_golden_gloves.jpg

Hi,
This is an attempt to try combining old and new images taken from roughly the same position and then "merged". I quite the end the result although you do lose some detail from each. This is an attempt at the Birds Custard Factory, Deritend.
These are used from found content so if I am infringing anyones copyright from the original images I will take down.
Old & New Birmingham Custard Factory.jpg

Hi mike
Many thanks for your later edition of the golden gloves as that how I recall it when I used to go there and believe me it was habit dog rough
In those days in and outside looking and not looking posh like Phil's pic and Brendan,whom was the owner also owned the old jig saw
Club in Saltley gate which was the old picture house at the gate and of course the Garry Owen in small heath
He his an uncle to my dear old Dutchess and the other half of her family owned a dance hall just out side Dublin
By the corugh race course in Ireland and that's a well known big ballroom through out Ireland
One again thou mike for showing the later version of the golden glothes, I do not surpose you may have one of the cualiflower public house
On Carson street would you it was the British boxing association above with boxers training gym for Birmingham
Many thanks Alan. ,,,,,,, astonian,,,,,,,,,

Another five local views of yesteryear and today, here we have, Ashted Row Nechells, Booths Farm Rd Great Barr, Pershore Rd Cotteridge, Edgbaston Reservoir, and Hagley Rd Five Ways.

Attachments

• Ashted Row.jpg
    Ashted Row.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Booths Farm Rd.jpg
    Booths Farm Rd.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Cotteridge Stores..jpg
    Cotteridge Stores..jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Edgbaston Reservoir.jpg
    Edgbaston Reservoir.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Five Ways Shopping Centre.jpg
    Five Ways Shopping Centre.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 130
I went to the Reservoir at lunchtime. It's very beautiful and peaceful.
My Grandparents lived in Daisy Rd. when they were just married so they would have overlooked the water.
My Dad was in Home Guard (reserved occupation) and he patrolled along the dam.
rosie.

Hi nick
Many thanks indeed for putting that us up for us I will down load a copy whilst I can I remember way back in the fifties
Just how busy it was along with the spotted dog across the road from grands shop and home
Every week end I was up at new canal street staying there and walking name dog up around that quarter and passing it a thousand time
The cauliflower ear I surprise years ago ASD a kid I seen lots of fellas with a thick cauliflower ear around the streets
And its quite often I used to go to rugby matches and it was usual to see a player with one and of course boxers from time to time
There you used be a saying years ago in a slagging match with people.e or even kids that expression if you don't shut up
And scarlet I will give you a thick ear or the wording of a cauliflour ear in fact I have used it myself when I was a nipper
In Aston, Lichfield red up our terrace it was not used often but it was used occasionialy by people
Many thanks again nick for tracking it down and I enjoyed browsing through the additional pages
Thanks a million Alan,,, astonian,,,,,,

In 1947 the Walsall Road in front of Tucker Eyelets factory flooded from the River Tame when all the snow thawed. The now picture still shows the Tucker factory but the land in front of the houses on the right has become the other side of a dual carriageway. Interesting sky in the now picture and the bus stop has a shelter.
Then​
Walsall_Rd_Flood.jpg

Now​
Tuckers.JPG
[/TD]

Last edited:
Good photos Old Mohawk, lets have some more.

What we have here is a photo of the drinking fountain that stood outside the Free Library at the junction of Aston Road and Legge Street, Gosta Green for years. Then when the library was demolished it was relocated to an unnamed location within the newly burgeoning Aston University Campus.

Since then I can find no further mention of the drinking fountain and am beginning to wonder if it has been surreptitiously removed to accommodate the latest round of building works. So if anybody knows of anything different please let us know.

Attachments

• Gosta Green Library Fountain.jpg
    Gosta Green Library Fountain.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 78
#99, great photos "OldMohawk", I was born in January 1947, and my old Dad always told me the snow drifts were horrendous.Paul

With reference to the pics in #99, here are then and now pics looking from the other side of the flood of 1947. Not so easy to compare as the previous pics. In the old pic there are 4 of those round ventilators on the top of a building centre right and I think those ventilators may still be there just about visible to the left of the large 'TYRES' advert. A supplementary small pic below shows a closer look at the ventilators, I think Google's camera 'bent' the lamppost! I like the man testing his wellingtons in the old pic.
Then
1947_Walsall_Rd_Floods.jpg

Now
Walsall_Rd_Now.JPG
[/SIZE]
Are they the same Ventilators ?
Vents.JPG

Last edited:
A few more local views accompanied by the usual more recent views of the same location. I'm sure that these will be instantly recognisable to those that lived in the areas where they were taken. As usual some are easily recognisable, but others will be a little harder.

Here we have,

The Birmingham Airport Hotel Elmdon, The Bulls Head Hall Green, Kellett Grove Shops Nechells, Stockfield Hall Acocks Green, Trinity Terrace Camp Hill.

Attachments

• Birmingham Airport Hotel.jpg
    Birmingham Airport Hotel.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Bulls Head Hall Green.jpg
    Bulls Head Hall Green.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Kellett Grove Nechells.jpg
    Kellett Grove Nechells.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Stockfiel Rd.jpg
    Stockfiel Rd.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Trinity Terrace (2).jpg
    Trinity Terrace (2).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 119
A few more varied locations around the town. Here we have,

Gravelly Lane Nr Somerset Rd
Bristol Street Horse Fair
Great Charles St Tunnel
the Great Stone Inn Northfield
Newhall Street Nr Colmore Row

Attachments

• Gravelly Lane.jpg
    Gravelly Lane.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Bristol Street.jpg
    Bristol Street.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Great Charles St.jpg
    Great Charles St.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Great Stone Inn.jpg
    Great Stone Inn.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Newhall Street.jpg
    Newhall Street.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 135
nice to see not much change with gravelly lane phil..not happy with newhall st though..

The one thing about Bournville is that it has remained practically unchanged over the years and that any changes are hardly noticeable to outsiders. These five scenes demonstrate that fact admirably, but who can say what will happen in the future now that Cadbury's no longer own the major part of it.

I have a Question for Mikejee as I know he worked for Cadbury's and he still has an interest in the company. Mike the experimental houses seen here in Hay Green Lane. The ones that were made with unconventional materials are they still as they were when build or did they have to make alterations to them at a later date. It's the conventional house that was made from metal sheets that interests me, do you know if it is still as it was built?

The other thing is I see that the Old Farm Inn on Linden Rd was soon converted to a hotel after the Cadbury's took over. I often thought it very hypercritical that the only place you could get a drink in Bournville was in Cadbury's Club.

Here we have,

Beech Rd
Hay Green Lane experimental houses.
Maryvale Road shops.
Linden Rd - Bourville Lane Old Farm Inn.
Sycamore Rd shops.

Attachments

• Beech Rd (2).jpg
    Beech Rd (2).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Hay Green Lane (2).jpg
    Hay Green Lane (2).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Maryvale Rd.jpg
    Maryvale Rd.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Old Farm Inn Linden Rd.jpg
    Old Farm Inn Linden Rd.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Sycamore Rd.jpg
    Sycamore Rd.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 119
Phil
the information I have does not mention metal sheeting as such I does say that "Rammed earth " bungalows were built, were built , together with wood, brick and two concrete houses. The "rammed earth" houses had "shutter" fixed to substantial foundations, and red marl earth was rammed down hard between the shutters. Possibly the shutters were matal sheets. In that case the answer to your question is no, as, of the various types of construction, this is the one that does not remain.

Mike I have this photo of what I assume are the same houses as in the other photo. It is titled Bournville Hay Green Lane Experimental Steel House c1930 and I just wondered that if they are still standing if they had ever been altered or rebuilt in any way?

Attachments

• Bournville Hay Green Lane Experimental Steel House c1930 ioe.JPG
    Bournville Hay Green Lane Experimental Steel House c1930 ioe.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 65
Sorry Phil, I haven't come across this before. The only steel house I am familiar with is the one at the Black country Museum. looking at the picture though, could it be thatbit was a forerunner of those houses built after the war with a steel frame , then clad with asbestos or other composition panels?

I suppose the only way for sure to find out if the experimental houses were a success would be to reference the papers at Birmingham Central Library, "Correspondence and Articles regarding Experimental Houses on Hay Green Lane [1920]" Collection Reference MS 1536. So if anybody is calling there in the next few weeks any chance of taking a peek.

Our next little walkabout takes us for a quick jaunt around Hall Green, In this collection we have the junction of Lakey Lane and School Rd, Pradise Lane, Sarehole Mill, the junction of Stratford Rd and Cateswell Rd, the junction of Wake Green Rd and Gracewell Rd.

Attachments

• Lakey Lane School Rd.jpg
    Lakey Lane School Rd.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Paradise Lane.jpg
    Paradise Lane.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Sarehole Mill.jpg
    Sarehole Mill.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Stratford Rd -Cateswell Rd.jpg
    Stratford Rd -Cateswell Rd.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 106
  • Wake Green Rd - Gracewell Rd.jpg
    Wake Green Rd - Gracewell Rd.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 94
In post#109 Sycamore Road behind the horse & cart is what looks like a Reliant van very similar to one that my first husband & I had!! It was a good little van even though it was basic, it took us a baby & pram all the way up to Cumberland & back. Shaken but not stirred in it!!

I don't know for sure "Rowen", but #109 seems to show an old disabled vehicle run on a motor bike engine, you saw these around the 1950's, though it may very well have been built by Reliant. Paul

Back