• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Station Road Secondary Modern School, Harborne.

anthea

master brummie
Is there anyone out there who went to Station Road School in Harborne around 1947 - 1953? I remember Mr Stanton was the Headteacher and Mr Abel was Deputy Head. Also Mr Owen, Miss Bonham, Mrs Heart, Miss Beck and Miss Pallett. Mr Tozer was our music teacher. There were other teachers, but I can't remember their names. I never liked going to school, but on reflection all these years later, it wasn't such a bad experience, and I consider we had a good education (no exams before we left school, just a Certificate). The school dinners were absolutely awful so soon gave them up. The cane was still in use if anyone was late on five consecutive days, and was also used on anyone the Head considered deserved it! Anthea

A very belated reply to this thread. My father attended Station Road and I have found a number of photos of him in the football team there - one is dated 1950 (Nov) it also apprears on teh school website. His name was Michael Draper.

Hello bevflower, Your father was at Station Road School at the same time as myself, but I don't recall his name. You say that the school has a website. I have looked for it on Google but can only find comments about the school on Friends Reunited - is this the website you mean?

There is a picture of the school football team of 1957 on one of the other posts on Station Road School. If you find it, the Head is sitting on the left ie Mr Stanton and the Deputy Head is on the right, Mr Abel.

Anthea

Hi

I have family who attended Station Road School too - Mansell's and Onions and Fosters
If anyone has any memories would love to hear from you as we never knew any of the family on this side and they are since passed.
Sharon

Hi Sharon, I attended Woodhouse Road J&I School prior to attending Station Road SM School and I had a look at the Woodhouse Rd school registers and found the following: Betty Maureen Mansell b.23.7.1927 and Patricia Jean Mansell b.26.6.1929., also Winifred Mary Onions b.24.12.1924 and Florence Gwen Foster b.17.9.1930 and thought perhaps these people may be your relatives. If this is the case then take a look at Quinton Local History Society archives where schools are listed. The registeres contain name of the parent and the address. Hope this information is of use to you.

Anthea

I left Station Road S.M. School in 1953. I have a photo of the school staff and among the teachers not named above were Mr. Wilde, Mr. Stewart (art), Mr. Steeper, Miss Mcray (cookery), Mr. Harker (Woodwork), Miss Day and Miss Stephens (Biology). For some two years I produced a school magazine (more like a comic actually) which sold for 1d for school funds. David Poller did many of the illustrations. I loved the Christmas plays put on by each class in turn on the professional looking stage erected each year specially for them. I remember the following as class mates: David Haddon, John Daniels, Alan Ainsworth, Michael Craven, Fred Thrupp, Peter Evans, Paul Brown (who excelled at gymnastics) and Roy Radbourne. The girls names are on a sheet not to hand. I used to live 4 mins away from the school so often popped home during breaks. Happy days. David Groves

I left Station Road S.M. School in 1953. I have a photo of the school staff and among the teachers not named above were Mr. Wilde, Mr. Stewart (art), Mr. Steeper, Miss Mcray (cookery), Mr. Harker (Woodwork), Miss Day and Miss Stephens (Biology). For some two years I produced a school magazine (more like a comic actually) which sold for 1d for school funds. David Poller did many of the illustrations. I loved the Christmas plays put on by each class in turn on the professional looking stage erected each year specially for them. I remember the following as class mates: David Haddon, John Daniels, Alan Ainsworth, Michael Craven, Fred Thrupp, Peter Evans, Paul Brown (who excelled at gymnastics) and Roy Radbourne. The girls names are on a sheet not to hand. I used to live 4 mins away from the school so often popped home during breaks. Happy days. David Groves

Does anyone have any photos of School members etc? Astoness mentions the School football team photo but I can't locate it.

Back