• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hardy Spicers Ltd

I knew Les Owen when he was in the Buying Office - didn't we all have a lot of hair back in those days !

There was a pub on each corner on the Chester Rd opposite the factory. One by the BIG traffic circle (island). Was it the Norton? can't remember now?

and who remembers Carol Rafferty from Hardy's Dispatch department? Johnny Aston the union rep?

There was a pub on each corner on the Chester Rd opposite the factory. One by the BIG traffic circle (island). Was it the Norton? can't remember now?

and who remembers Carol Rafferty from Hardy's Dispatch department? Johnny Aston the union rep?

The Tyburn House and the Bagot Arms.

Oh yes there was dekkie it was further down the road from the Tyburn pub
And it was a troublesome pub and a young fella got stabbed to death there way back in the seventies
Because it was a regular haunt for trouble at week ends and druggs they gave it the rubber stamp and never open end again for years then it was turned into a super market a well known super market along the Tyburn rd. Passing the Tyburn next junction up I used to meet our kid in there on Friday nights for a tot
Del I am just wondering whether or not this is the johnny Aston I knew for years originated as a kid from king standing road
When young moved to Ladywood in is youth and the last time I seen him living some where around the alum rock area I believe
He had a brother named Vic and and a junior brother called Steve, whim incidencely I save his life twice in his kid days
Should it be the same Johnny Aston I would dearly like to catch up with him area years back in here I tried to make contact with him
Great kid. Best wishes dek. Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,,

i have been looking for a friend by the name of Carol Wintle she worked in the offices at Hardy's in the sixties and married
a guy who also worked at Hardy's can anybody help please, a very long shot
robb128

Last edited:
Hi rob
The last known contact by myself with her brother and father was in king standing operate the deeds leap
And carol lived in bordesley green I will check out the name of the family's address road for you her brother and father are long time friends of mine
And her mother worked at st margretts hospital in the quesslett red get Barr best wishes astonian,,,,

The only Carol i knew was Carol Rafferty & her husband also worked there in the factory. The lived on Castle Vale ( 70's- 90's)

Hi Astonian The Carol i am looking for did not have a brother ,she lived in Wyrley road opp Forgings and Pressworks Witton area
If you could just confirm we have the wrong Carol by checking the address.Thank you for your help
robb

Hi Robb
I will come back to you shortly and confirm the address I know its off the great questlett road
So bear with me on this possible tomorrow by the way dek, you are correct I just could not to. Focus on the Kingsbury road bit
Our kid lived in pype Hayes road for donkey years until he died about 12 months ago. He married into the bell family from around
The Tyburn road area I worked at Bromford rolling mills as a draw bench operator at the time
Our kid was to get married in the Aston parish church all planned and booked but he decided against it he said to me why should I invite them
Meaning relatives and cousins who he had not seen for donkeys years I came home from work one night and him and his future wife was all prepared
To leave late at night he waited for our mother to go to bed he wrote a note starring what he was doing and gave it to me to hand it to her
Next morning when she got up and off they went in the night set off for bonny Scotland gretna green and got married and came back
Mother was heart broken best wishes astonian,,,,

Hi Robb: I knew Carol Wintle as she went to Junior School at Marsh Hill,Erdington same time as I did.. She travelled every day on the No. 11 bus from Wyrely Road to Marsh Hill School I have just looked at a class photo on the Marsh Hill Junior and Infants site that I posted over ten years ago and Carol is on there. I often wonder what happened to Carol as she was a friend of mine back then. I hope that you can find her.

Hi Jenny thank you for your respnse,had a look at Marsh Hill School , picture of a group very small could not make out faces.Went
to Marsh Hill myself but before yourself and Carol.Thanks again Jenny
rob

Last edited:
Hi Astonian
I am still in touch with Johnny Aston. He now lives in Great Barr. He isn't online but I will mention you to him and get back.

Oh yes there was dekkie it was further down the road from the Tyburn pub
And it was a troublesome pub and a young fella got stabbed to death there way back in the seventies
Because it was a regular haunt for trouble at week ends and druggs they gave it the rubber stamp and never open end again for years then it was turned into a super market a well known super market along the Tyburn rd. Passing the Tyburn next junction up I used to meet our kid in there on Friday nights for a tot
Del I am just wondering whether or not this is the johnny Aston I knew for years originated as a kid from king standing road
When young moved to Ladywood in is youth and the last time I seen him living some where around the alum rock area I believe
He had a brother named Vic and and a junior brother called Steve, whim incidencely I save his life twice in his kid days
Should it be the same Johnny Aston I would dearly like to catch up with him area years back in here I tried to make contact with him
Great kid. Best wishes dek. Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hi Astonian. I am still in touch with Johnny Aston. He now lives in Great Barr. He's not online but I will mention you to him and get back.

I am still in regular touch with Johnny Aston and remember Carol Rafferty well - especially from the HS Children's Pantomime in 1980 which she produced, directed and starred in. Carol achieved the incredible feat of persuading Derek Morgan and myself (amongst others) to dress up as fairies and perform the dance of the sugarplum fairy - you have never seen such an ugly bunch. The kids were issued with a bag of hard boiled sweets as they entered the theatre. They ended up pelting us with them we were so revolting. Happy days!

Hi John,
This is quite an old thread but I am a new member so all new to me. I remember our bridge school that ran for years. Say Hi to Fred Jones, has anyone mentioned Joe Russon. You still voting Labour someone has to!

Back