• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Schools in Small Heath & Bordesley Green

ostrauts

Brummie babby
Dear All,

I'm looking for advice in regards to School registers, logbooks etc. I'm hoping to find which schools my mother and her parents attended. My Grandfather was born in 1916 and resided in Baker Street, Small Heath. My Grandmother was born in 1925 and resided on Blakeland Street, Bordesley Green. And finally my mother was born in 1945 and resided on Baker Street, Small Heath.

Would anyone be able to make any suggestions on names of Schools based near to the suggested street names and years provided?

Regards.

Hello Ostrauts and welcome.,

Your grandfather and mother would almost certainly have attended Somerville Road School as they both lived in Baker Street I am not too sure about Blakeland Street but your grandmothers school was perhaps Bordesley Green. I too attended Somerville Road but after your grandfather and before your mother. If you could supply names it is possible that I knew them

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy,

Thank you for the welcome. And many thanks for the info. My mother's name was Yvonne Woodbridge and she had a brother, Kenneth Woodbridge. My grandfathers name was Douglas Kenneth Woodbridge.

The Baker Street that I knew very well as a schoolboy was in Sparkhill/Sparkbrook....it was (is?) a continuation from the Warwick Road traffic lights of Golden Hillock Road... and a short distance from Golden Hillock Road School, now one of those under scrutiny for the Islam extremist issue. I attended that school myself from 1939 to 1944 and walked up and down that particular Baker street hundreds of times. If I recall correctly it more or less joined the Warwick and the Stratford Roads, though my 81 year old memory is not as good as it used to be !!! Good luck with your research...

Thank you everyone for the replies. That's right, Nick its Small Heath Baker Street.

I have since contacted a relative of mine who has given me the details for my mother primary school as Green Lane, Bordesley Green and Cherrywood Road Senior. But looking at the info on the Birmingham Library Archives site, Cherrywood's building's were damaged in 1940 and the school was housed at Tilton Road.

Her brother, was Green Lane and Alston Road Senior.

Hi Ostrauts,

Sorry I did not know anyone named Woodbridge.I do not know of a school in Green Lane either. Do you mean Little Green Lane? Marlborough Road School is on the corner of Marlborough Road and Green Lane.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy, My Nan went to what is now Marlborough Road School, it was Yardley Road School prior to 1933 as far as I know...took me an age to track it down

Hi Old Boy, My Nan went to what is now Marlborough Road School, it was Yardley Road School prior to 1933 as far as I know...took me an age to track it down

Hi Lindyloo,

People referred to it as Yardley Road School for quite some time after 1933. Many of my friends and neighbours went to Marlborough Road School. What was your Nans' maiden name and where did she live? There is a chance that I might have known her.

I lived in Carlton Road, off Green Lane and was known as Bertie Beresford in those days.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hi Old Boy (Chris) ,

It would be lovely if you had of known my Nan, but she would have been a lot older than you, although she did stay in the area till about 1939. Nan was a Taylor before marriage, she was born at 30 Greenway Street. In 1911 the family lived at 86 Cattell Road. Nan left school in 1919 ..I have a letter that Nan kept from Mr A Flavell, the Headmaster, which gave her a good reference for job hunting. I'm not sure what she did for work after she left but I know she ended up working for Phil Riley at Ashley Garage. He taught her to drive. When she married, she lived in Montgomery Street with the In-Laws and then moved to Oldknow Rd

Apologies If I have gone off topic

Hi Everyone,

I want to update you all on this one. My mother and her brother attended Green Lane Infants School, Bordesley Green. I'm not sure if this school is still there. I did however find a Marlborough J & I School just off Green Lane. Not sure if that is one and the same school. If anyone could enlighten on that I would appreciate it.

Mother's senior school was Cherrywood Road and her brothers was Alston Road.

Regards,
Stuart

I think the school would be Little Green Lane and that is still operating as Wyndcliff Road , Malborough Road school building is still there but I don't know what it's used for .Cherrywood Road closed down several years ago and no longer exists There is still a school building in Alston Road I think it's a J@I school , I went to the senior school at Alston hope that helps. Here's a link to an index of Birmingham schools
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22984

Thanks Bernie for the correct school. And many thanks for the list of Birmingham Schools.

Also, thanks to Old Boy, Shawcross, Brummie Nick and Lindyloo. Your help has proved invaluable on this.

You are welcome ostrauts....

berniew thats a wonderful, link, its how I found out about Yardley Road school

Hi Ostrauts,

Your mom Yvonne and her brother Kenny lived next door but one to us on Bordesley Green, we grew up together and were best friends. They both went to Little Green Lane infants and junior school. The old Victorian school which is where we went to is still there , in fact some of us went on a visit to it a couple of years ago.

Bramcote.

i remember mr jackson head teacher,mr barber deputy.graham my mate who lived in either carlton rd or whitehall rd,sandra hadland lived on coventry road a feew doors away from the malt shovel pub opposite municipal bank which then changed to tsb and now a somali restaurant.jackie sandra's friend lived in eversley rd.if anyone knows wher abouts of any please get in touch.last time isaw sandra was when she attended cherrywood school in 1970.love to get in touch

Back