• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The retreat...aston

Just to say neither of the photos are of the reteat.....shame, I would have like to have seen it again.....it was only a very short street/road, about the length of half a football pitch if that....!!

hi aston lad ive just put the retreat to my growing list of photos to look for when the new library opens in sept..fingers crossed

lyn

There is only one Retreat in my old Wakelin's Guide, which is the one in Aston leading into Sutton Street, but I have found a Warner Street, off 112 High Street, Bordesley, where I guess the wonderful photo of Dowell's Retreat was taken.

hi sylv;
;;; there was another retreat as well in and off the spedwell rd hay mlls and redhill rd and george rd which ran around the back of the houses and into speedwell rd we mentionioned this one i am on about four years ago as yu say the one i thought was only in aston where you said it was as you know i know it very wel indeed because of my mother was born in and around there by john hortons family so did my dads mother my grand mother whom was a jenning ;
sylv; got your message look after your self best wishes alan ;; Astonian;;

Hi sylviasayers there were was one more retreat that I know of whick was off Bordesley Park Road Bolton Road Small Heath though Warner Street was little more than courtThe Retreat Bordesley Park Road  1953.jpgApoor quality pic of the Retreat Bordesley Park Road 1935

The second picture is one of sutton street? it looks like somewhere else to me I just can't think where, and that tower is familiar. Are we sure it is sutton street?
yes, I was thinking the same - it looks like Mary Street Balsall Heath to me (we lived near there for years) - with the Roman Catholic church of St. Martins (back view) on the right - and Highgate in the distance.
Sutton 2.jpg

View attachment 82149thanks sue but im not sure that this is same retreat that i am talking about...it was off high st newtown..here is a map..green dot shows THE RETREAT ..
Yes, that's where I remember it in the 60's - the bomb peck part of it...used to go from Parliament st. via upper Webster St. to take the bottles back to the outdoor (corner, or nr. corner of Clarendon St.?) for pennies, or tuppence(?) and play on the bomb peck which I suppose was on Clarendon St, (I seem to remember on the right as you walked towards Park Lane), but maybe led to the Retreat too.
I also remember it being quiet and like countryside, as Aston Lad wrote.

That is defintley Sutton Street with ST Mary's in the distance, walked that way hundred of times, at the bottom is Lichfield Road ..Brenda

I Hi Maz-beth and brenda
you are both correct indeed i went to upper thomas street school and used to go with kids to play on there also my mother parents lived in
Parliment Street at number 4 and my mother was born there at no, 4 parliment street and my grand parents ran the bussiness just along from thompsons
The green Grocers with coffee shops and around in park lane next to the chemist
Which was number 235 / and 237 ;/ and owned the propertys behind them ;and across the rd from there next to the snooker hall they owned the chip shop
But later sold it to little cyril and i have fetch many a spuds when the thompsons done a special off on the spuds for a penny
lichfield rd rd and surrounding streets of aston cross and all the back streets came armed with shoping bags because they could not believe the offer
All i can say is mr french and mr robinson must have felt the pinch in that year being agaist thompsons
I do not know whether or not i still have the book with this period of thompsoms being over run for the demand of there offer
but i do know some one as got the picture because we had it on this site years ago of the incident
still yes you are both correct and i also went to st marys church and school and i ended up at dyson hall sunday school and the ajoing church
and also the choir boy at aston parish church i got two half crowns for that [ five bob ] best wishes Astonian;

Sylvia correct me if l'm wrong, but l seem to remember the welfare dept was on the left going down to Thompsons...also somewhere on the right l went to piano lessons can'nt remember the teachers name...l was never interested but mom had such hopes on me, Harvey my brother did great could play anything..l never got passed five finger exercises.....Brenda

The view is looking down Upper Sutton Street from about the crossroads with Upper Thomas Street across Aston Rd North looking up Avenue Road towards Oliver Street & Nechells.

it's strange I don't recognise it as Upper Sutton st then, as we walked up there loads on the way to the Park to collect my cousins who lived on Upper Sutton st.
I don't remember the houses having front gardens, and my cousins, aunt and uncle lived in what must have been a back to back with a courtyard on Upper Sutton st.
But I was a child, so things may look different - I don't think I'm getting my bearings - we used to walk up it from Park Lane.

Phil, sorry but you are wrong Upper Sutton Street started across the road from Park Lane, with The Eagle pub on the right hand side and Robbo's Cafe on the left. Sutton Street ran from Park Lane, bent left and went down to Aston Road.

Brenda you are right about the Welfare Centre in Sutton Street, I used to take Michael there to be weighed when he was a baby. Our doctor was Dr. Fitzgerald, later on Dr. Duncan, then a Dr. Smith, then Dr. Murtaza? There was another doctor on the corner of Sutton/Thomas Street, these were all very big detached houses and would have been occupied by well to do people in their heyday. I don't remember a piano teacher though, I was never musical and couldn't even sing in tune, Miss Prescott at Burlington Street humilated me in front of the class, and told me just to mouth the words, and I was never chosen to sing at the Town Hall, with the rest of my friends!

hi sylv;
would you recall the christian names of robbos cafe mr or mrs or both of them
was there a family living there by the name of robinsons or is it short for robert ;
hope yopu are well ; and giving your car abit of tlc ; best wishes alan astonian;

Sorry Alan, I don't know the names of the people at Robbo's Cafe, I never went in as it was so close to home, the only things we bought to eat "on the hoof" were fish & chips, mainly chips, and the occasional baked potato.

.....Brenda you are right about the Welfare Centre in Sutton Street, I used to take Michael there to be weighed when he was a baby. ..

Hi Sylvia, I wonder if that is the one that the midwife Dot May Dunn wrote about - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twelve-Bab...8&qid=1401630032&sr=1-2&keywords=dot+may+dunn (good book, and her other one).
- as that was her patch in the 50's, and Park Lane. I can't remember if she names them or changes the names slightly -
My mom doesn't think that's where she took me (as you know I am close to your Michael's age).
- my younger sister was taken to 'The Welfare' almost opposite the old fire station

Hi Maz, sorry I can't help with the names of anyone at the Welfare, we used to get the thick orange juice and cod liver oil there. I will look for the book later.

yes, it's a good book, and the other one - she gives names, but can't remember if she disguises them - it's been 2 or 3 years since I read it.
But it's fairly easy to work out the locations when you know Aston a bit, and the outskirts into town.
You might even recognise some of the families she mentions (even if names are changed - or not).

The only midwife I can recall was a nurse Johns......this is from the late 50's to the early 60's........

yes, I was thinking the same - it looks like Mary Street Balsall Heath to me (we lived near there for years) - with the Roman Catholic church of St. Martins (back view) on the right - and Highgate in the distance.
View attachment 92342
the church is STMARYS on aston road north looking at the gas holders in the background ex aston STAN>

PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 009.JPGPHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 012.JPGhi folks at long last pics of the retreat aston...only 2 im afraid but its better than none...

pic 1 shows no 9 the retreat the one with the lady standing at the door...wonder who that lad is..

pic 2 shows no 6 the retreat...cant be sure which house is no 6 but i would say the middle one..

lyn

Ta Lyn......Great photo's but I am not sure if its the Retreat in Aston ?, I just cannot place them in my minds eye......I can recall walking down the Retreat towards Sutton Street , the houses on the right had big front walls and long front gardens, which could be these on here, the left hand side had two or three in tacked,again with long front gardens and high walls, the others on the left hand side were destroyed during WW2 bomb raids, there were two garages also on the left which housed one car belonging to Horace Faulkner, these photo's are showing the end of Aston as we knew it, these I would say were taken around late 1968 early to mid 1969, because the Aston Manor School was being built at that time on the old bomb peck and Wilkinson Street, The Retreat were almost none through roads, but after 47 years plus it hard to remember everything..........Don't know if you got these from the Archives in Birmingham new Library, but I was there myself Thursday just gone looking through the medical records of Highcroft Hospital, and I spoke to one of the young ladies behind the counter in there about the photographs they hold, and she told me about how many have gone walkies, and that quite a few are not as index, I would love to spend a few hours or days sorting them out.........!!

hi john on the back of the photos it says the retreat aston..i have shown them to john houghton and he says they are the best hes seen so far so i can only assume they are correct as i never knew the street..

lyn

Well john
I think you can take it as correct because if my memory serves me correct and being a local lad to the retreat and john a d my an esters a d mother
Was born there next to john in parilment street which according to Jon they was in the posher ones
And coming out of school of upper Thomas street and going down the retreat to bracebridge street to my mates house ian. Whom live very
Close to the motor bike manufacture and if I am correct about nine or ten years back Jon put those pictures on. Here
And if my memory is working correct john emigrated many years ago that's why if Lynn says Jon as seen the picture and says yes then that ASD to Bethe retreat
It also I would say I am certain they are from memories of being on there after school best wishes astonian,,,,,

hi sylv;
would you recall the christian names of robbos cafe mr or mrs or both of them
was there a family living there by the name of robinsons or is it short for robert ;
hope yopu are well ; and giving your car abit of tlc ; best wishes alan astonian;

HELLO, I saw your question while trying to search the net for Robbo' s Cafe. My grandparents Henry and Marion Robinson owned this cafe. My mother Elsie Robinson is their daughter. I am particularly interested in finding any photographs of the cafe which was on the corner of Park Lane and Sutton Street.

Hi good morning seven
Nice to hear from you for years I have been trying to track down your an grand parents ,as I have been researching my grand father and mother
Because your grand parents was a very close friends to them right up until the end of my grand father death
They both was close to my grand father's heart and very sincere and trusted friends until his dying days and death bed
He died in 1969 Ernest jelf of park lane Aston cross the coffee house
Both Marion and Elsie also worked for grand father in his shops he had quite area Aston and around Lichfield rd and around the Aston cross
And the crockery hire business as well
And I have to say and asked the question if you do not mind answering my question when did your grand parents die
Marion and elsies death have you got a date you can tell me please my brother will be very pleased to know that your grand parents
Of Marion and Elsie was correct we knew of them but never met them and we learnt at the time that it was Elsie or Marion
Took him to the hospital / in 1969 where he later died as it was Marion , or Elsie was his companion in old age after my grand mother Bertha Hinton
Died in 1953
As I see it they was both coffee house keepers and local kids growing up through out there lives as my mom was the only child she would also would have known your grand parents as they all grew up around the corner in parilment street in / the 1900, s at number 2 ,
I really would like to learn more about your grand
Parents as well if that's okay with you as I have been compiling a book about the life of the jelfs history going back to the 1800.
I have a friend whom is a well known person and a producer at the BBC whom is helping with this book
I would also like to get my hands on a picture of your grand parents coffee shop so I hope some one will be able to find one for us
To add to the book I have most of the jelfs history and all the shops they owned at one given
Point they had thirty three shops across and around brum in those days and provision suppliers yo many shops
So seven , I hope we can keep in touch if you feel you can give me a couple of dates for Marion and elsies death you could contact me through my private email
Which in turn I will give you if you come through my emails on the forum my emails are confidently which I will give to you at my home
Which is not known to forum members
Should yo decide not to contact me it was nice to here from you and you have got my mind thinking of memories
Have a nice day best wishes Alan, astonian,,,,

parklane 1.jpg

This is the only one I know of that shows part of Robinson café .....take around 1969/70 after they had moved away, its the first building on the right of the photo

Hi Aston Lad
many Thanks For The Old Picture Of Old remaining Of Robbo,s. cafe On Park Lane
I Believe It Was Around The Seventy Mark They Started On Aston Cross Demo Firstly And Worked There Way Up
I Wonder If there is one For me Of Park Lane, Knocking Around Which Is 235/ 7. which Was Oppersite THe Snooker Hall
There WAs Two Large Gates And A Drive With A Shop One Side And two Shops The Other Side Of The Gates
And it would Have Read Jelfs Crockery Hire And The Old Telephone Number Read Aston Then The Number
and There Would Have Been Van Outside The Yard
best Wishes Astonian,,,,,

Back