• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street, Saltley

rupert.thats the shop.the one with the wierd things in the window.a vet.
i remember a junk shop by the cafe

Would anyone have information or pictures of Hereford Square? I know it hardly exists today bar a small patch of land and a street name; however, I appear to have relatives living at No. 27 Hereford Square around the early 1900s so it must have been a fairly big square.

Thanks

Was the "junk" shop the one opposite the newsagents which I think was called Copes, (used to get needles for the wind up gramophone from there). If it was I used to go to school with the son from that shop. Can't remember his name but I am sure he had ginger hair!

There was also Bentleys the gents tailor,the cake shop but the name escapes me and the was also a grocers where my mother worked during and just after the war.And I have a vague recollection of a car sales place.

There was a horse meat butchers on the corner just in Washwood Heath Road.I remember this because one weekend when my grandmother was ill and all her brothers and sisters where visiting for sunday lunch,my grandfather fed them with a joint of meat purchased from that shop.I was not around at the time,but quite a few of them were,shall we say unwell when they discovered what they had eaten.

The horse meat butcher's name was Hacket. Quite appropriate really. I can see his shop now. Enormous joints of meat, and the fat was yellow. He was located on the right-hand side of Washwood Heath Road, several shops down from the bank. Next to alley-way where the home-made sweet shop man used to park his van.

My dad lived in Corfield Terrace with his gran (he later was adopted). Does anyone have any photos of the houses, i understand they have long since been demolished. and whether they were a particular style? Thanks

My dad lived in Corfield Terrace with his gran (he later was adopted). Does anyone have any photos of the houses, i understand they have long since been demolished. and whether they were a particular style? Thanks
The bakers shop next to chaplins was Barnes the baker. I was born above the shop. We were opposite copes? The was a green grocer called Arthur Wallis also opposite and we used to share the cellar during the bombing aimed at the "met"

Hi, My name is Richard Taggart i was born at 8 Coleshill terrace in 1958. We were the last Family to leave the terrace in 1969. I have so many happy memories as a child and a few photos too . I have just joined this forum. so if i can help or find old childhood friends please contact me.

After the war we moved to Great Barr but dad kept the bakery going into the 1970's. We used to have drink in the Tilt Hammer on Saturday lunchtimes after all the baking was finished. There was an off licence on the corner of Adderly Rd and High St.
I can remember Bentleys the Taylor, a watch shop where I was bought my first watch, the vets, Chaplins, Abbots cars, Arthur Wallis the greengrocer, etc.
Around the corner in Adderly road there was a sweet shop, a green grocer and barbers shop near where the number 8 bus stopped. Everyone called the barber Denis because he looked like Denis Compton!

After the war we moved to Great Barr but dad kept the bakery going into the 1970's. We used to have drink in the Tilt Hammer on Saturday lunchtimes after all the baking was finished. There was an off licence on the corner of Adderly Rd and High St.
I can remember Bentleys the Taylor, a watch shop where I was bought my first watch, the vets, Chaplins, Abbots cars, Arthur Wallis the greengrocer, etc.
Around the corner in Adderly road there was a sweet shop, a green grocer and barbers shop near where the number 8 bus stopped. Everyone called the barber Denis because he looked like Denis Compton!

Hi Baker Boy. We lived opposite Barnes. I was born above Strutts the chemist, next to Wallis's the greengrocer. I knew Mr Barnes. I used to buy Russian slices from. He was a really nice bloke, as they all were around there. I knew the Copes and the Wallis's very well, as I did most of the local shopkeepers. Mr Pugh the vet, Jimmy Chaplin, Mr Chalice the seed merchant, Mr Major who worked at Darralls with Doreen and Thelma. My Grandmother and uncle owned the shoe repairers and timber yard at the corner of High Street and Washwood Heath Road. Next to them were Constances the ladies outfitters, the newsagents, the gents hairdresser, and Cells the electrical shop.

Hi bobbygee,
In your post you mention your Grandmother & Uncle owned the shoe repairers and timber yard at Saltley. I lived in Prince Albert Street at no 33, our Landlord was Mr Tommy Gough, who also owned timber yards on Green Lane [ Tel No Vic 1670 ] and the big Saw Mill at Coleshill. I spent so much of my youth as a friend of Peter and Philip, at Green Lane & Coleshill. Now my point is this, I have been to the Saltley Timber yard which if I remember correctly, was to the side and round the back of the shoe repair shop. I also sort of remember Frank & Sheila ? Gough living in Prince Albert Street.

Hi bobbygee,
In your post you mention your Grandmother & Uncle owned the shoe repairers and timber yard at Saltley. I lived in Prince Albert Street at no 33, our Landlord was Mr Tommy Gough, who also owned timber yards on Green Lane [ Tel No Vic 1670 ] and the big Saw Mill at Coleshill. I spent so much of my youth as a friend of Peter and Philip, at Green Lane & Coleshill. Now my point is this, I have been to the Saltley Timber yard which if I remember correctly, was to the side and round the back of the shoe repair shop. I also sort of remember Frank & Sheila ? Gough living in Prince Albert Street.

Hi Smallheathboy. You are correct on every count. My uncle Tom did run the Saltley and Green Lane timber yards. When they closed he moved to Alum Rock Road; opposite the Capital; next to the railway bridge. Peter and Paul are still in Coleshill. They have a place that mainly sells sheds and fencing. Their sister Pat has a guest house in Coleshill. My uncle Frank and aunty Sheila lived in Prince Albert Street. I remember visiting them there, before they moved to Solihull. He had a timber yard in Camp Hill. Tom, Frank, and my father were part of a family of five brothers and three sisters; sadly all now gone.

If there were any photos of the High Street on here at one time it looks as if they were lost. These were probably among them.

Attachments

• High Street Saltley 2[1].JPG
    High Street Saltley 2[1].JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Saltley High St 1960.jpg
    Saltley High St 1960.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Saltley High St 1961.jpg
    Saltley High St 1961.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Saltley High St by Hereford Square 1961.JPG
    Saltley High St by Hereford Square 1961.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Saltley High St.jpg
    Saltley High St.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 99
I Phil,
Morning Phil, its hard to believe that was the high street Saltley going by today's scene
Why did they destroyed the high street I say to myself looking back and of today's state was it with it
One lost community I say and just look at old Crawford street tat yard after tat yard and the state of the road is filled with rubbish
Trying to get down it that street alone had its community in the early years at least up to 1958
I remember the Blackburn family sad I think it is best wishes Alan ,Astonian,,,,,,,,.

Alan

A few more photos of High Street Saltley, a little earlier than the others these were taken in it's heyday.

Attachments

• Saltley High St (2).jpg
    Saltley High St (2).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Saltley High St (3).JPG
    Saltley High St (3).JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Saltley High St (6).jpg
    Saltley High St (6).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Saltley High St 1914.jpg
    Saltley High St 1914.jpg