• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

i am trying to find some old memories for my mother in-law,her name is regina whittaker [maiden name] also sisters,linda,barbara,pat,betty and joy,she lived at haven grove off clifton road,yardley wood, back in the 40s to early 50s,she went to yardley wood secondary school [girls],and was also in the billesley arcadians.anyone with any info or photo's would be really appreciated..thanks

I was born in Hednesford,Staffs. Came to Birmingham in 1953 at Icknield Street.
Then round the corner in Hingestion St
69 Leamington Road,Sparkbrook - Berners St Lozells
Melrose Ave,Woodfield Rd,Balsall Heath
70 Langdale Rd,Hamstead - Manor Tavern Pub,Aston Cross
136 Victoria Rd - 100 Victoria Rd - Rocky Lane, Aston
28A Birchfield Rd
Then, when I was 13 in 1959, 100 Victoria Rd until I got married in 1967.

Bye Eck, Banjo, thou did some moving lad, and all before you were 13, any Gypsy in your background, wink, wink.

Born in Spring Rd /Tyseley then Cateswell Road Hall Green then after 30yrs now live in Clevedon North Somerset.

Hi

Born 35 Douglas Road
51 Cranmore road
Mardon Road
15 Cranmore road
33 Rosemary road
Formans road
Shakespeare drive
Silverbirch road
Hurdis Road
Moorlands Drive

mike Jenks

img013.jpgBorn in Birmingham, on marriage lived in Bromsgrove then bought my favourite home in the sticks near Carmarthen. The picture shows the very Welsh small holding complete with the remains of a mill driven by a race . All neighbours spoke Welsh but were more than ready to speak in English to a Brummie.!As is often the case with life's journey events occurred meaning moving on to Amroth, Angle (Pembs) then to an end of terrace house on a main road in Pembroke town.

Lived at 126 Moat Lane. Yardley, Brum 26 STECHFORD3946 see I even remembered the bloody phone# 22 year's there, before that the Causeway, now long gone with Tesco store off Church Rd, Yardley. Mom shopped down the street every day! shops all gone also. Nice quiet streets. No longer, now they say, not safe to go out at night! Progress HUH! times changed for the worse in most cases. Packwood 's lived one side of us the Eggleston 's the other,
Mr's Eggleston spent hours in the front window watching people go by. #17 bus stopped right outside our house. Hated going on the bus, SMOKE on top and women on bottom, "Get up Johnny give your seat to the poor old lady" Smog so bad in the late 40s early 50s couldn't see a thing at times, walked in front of Dad's car so he could drive home, Coal and coke man came, Nights at home all sitting in front of the fire roasting spuds and listening to the RADIO NO TV then. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

I used to live at 126 green lane castle bromwich next to the shops. And the farm was just down the road. I went to bentley rd junior school the parkhall secondary modern. The time frame was around 1958 till 1963.

bordesley park road ,ada rd , now in coleshill . dad had a cafe in cox st west Balsal Heath in the early 60s l have loads and l mean loads of old school classes from ada rd/ St Andrews J/I school , l will try and see if lm able to upload them onto here , some go back to late 30s , l also have the disaplinary book wher boye and girls got the cane that goes back too , think lm going to need help ,

Dean Road, Erdington, from 1952 till 1966. Others in the same street at that time were Norman Saunders, Brian Grice, Derek Platt, Mrs Wood, Mr & Mrs Tewson, John Thorpe, Liam and Gerald Whelan, Keith Tongue, Tommy Mole, the Campkins. And round the corner in Oliver Road were the Deeming family, and Rudolf Zagurskas.

I was born 1931, back of 54 Allcock St., joined the Scots Guards, went to Eygpt, came back, went to Korea, came back, married went to Hong Kong for 2 years with the guards, toured Australia in 1960s came back, decided to migrate to Aussie in 1965 arrived in Australia April fools day. Married an Aussie girl, still here after 49 years

Born in Byron Rd 108 b10 in 1969, also Meeson family lived around Aston, hockley, summer lane and steward st. Many more places from 1800's far as I've got.

1930-35 Queens Rd Aston
1935-39 Goldthorne Avenue Sheldon
1939-48 Cranmore Boulevard Shirley
!948-56 RAF including 2 years West, East and Central Africa and 2 1/2 years Hong Kong and Singapore (with Wife)
1956-62 1/128 Vicarage Rd Aston
1962-87 Hillside Rd Erdington
1987 to present Conway Rd Chelmsley Wood. Eric

Back