• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC WITTON WORKS

Worked on the same floor as Terry Doidge When we were with PARSONS PEEBLES I was with Projects dept & Terry Parsons Accounts Great Guy & Happy days.
View attachment 86973View attachment 86974View attachment 86975

I found these three pictures of when I worked at GEC LRPD Wages Office around 1966-1968.

In the first pic I am on far left, then Moira Jennings, and Margaret (Peggy) Wilkinson in the middle on her retirement day.

Second photo from left. Mr Thompson (head of wages office) Herbert Albinson, Theresa Small, Peggy Wilkinson, Moira Jennings, Terry Doidge and myself.

Third photo is Mr Rooke (head of LRPD accounts office) with Peggy Wilkinson and Theresa Small at the back.

Cant remember the names of anyone else.

Hi, it's been a long time since your question but I have only just discovered this thread. My Dad Fred Hartland(Hawton) worked with Keith Jenney. Wasn't he the chap who played ice hockey? I remember going to watch and being allowed to go on the ice either in the interval or after the game.

Just seen these Photos Wow how I remember so many names & faces .just love it.
View attachment 86973View attachment 86974View attachment 86975

I found these three pictures of when I worked at GEC LRPD Wages Office around 1966-1968.

In the first pic I am on far left, then Moira Jennings, and Margaret (Peggy) Wilkinson in the middle on her retirement day.

Second photo from left. Mr Thompson (head of wages office) Herbert Albinson, Theresa Small, Peggy Wilkinson, Moira Jennings, Terry Doidge and myself.

Third photo is Mr Rooke (head of LRPD accounts office) with Peggy Wilkinson and Theresa Small at the back.

Cant remember the names of anyone else.

Hi wiltslizzie Your Brother helped me fit my extra BT phone points. Nice to hear from you,always had great respect for your dad Regards Keith jenney
Hi, it's been a long time since your question but I have only just discovered this thread. My Dad Fred Hartland(Hawton) worked with Keith Jenney. Wasn't he the chap who played ice hockey? I remember going to watch and being allowed to go on the ice either in the interval or after the game.

Has anyone ever heard of a factory named Miller, my mother who sadly has dementia now keeps talking about when she worked there during the war (2nd) years. We have never heard her talk about this before so we are intriqued. We've tried googling for Miller but can't find anything. She lived in Lozells and we do know she worked at various times in Witton as well as Lozells and Handsworth.

hello scarlet..do you know the address in lozells where your mom lived or what type of work she did...i cant think of a miller factory at the moment...

lyn

Millers made a number of parts for motor vehicles. I seem to recall they became part of Butlers and they in turn became part of Joseph Lucas.

• Appreciate
Reactions: A-J
From 1943 Kellys:
Miller H. & Co. Ltd. motor lamp mfrs. 205 Aston Brook st 6. T A " Monarch; " Aston Cross 1575

• Appreciate
During my days on PO Telephones/BT from 1956 onwards I began on the Aston area and I am positive Millers was still going then in Aston Brook St I used to maintain their switchboard, also nearby Nortons and Phillips. Eric

• Appreciate
hello scarlet..do you know the address in lozells where your mom lived or what type of work she did...i cant think of a miller factory at the moment...

lyn

Hi Lyn, mom lived in Mayfield Road but said she walked to Witton, not sure how far that would be. She claims to have been making something that was to do with bombs, said they had a lot of gunpowder there that they were not allowed to speak of. It seems odd that its only now she has dementia that she is speaking about this and seems very sure of herself, but of course it may all be nothing.

Thanks to the rest of you for the suggestions, I'll follow up on the info you've given and see what more I can find :)

Millers made a number of parts for motor vehicles. I seem to recall they became part of Butlers and they in turn became part of Joseph Lucas.

I seem to remember we use to go to Christmas Parties held for families at Lucas, so maybe that is a connection.

Hi Lyn, mom lived in Mayfield Road but said she walked to Witton, not sure how far that would be. She claims to have been making something that was to do with bombs, said they had a lot of gunpowder there that they were not allowed to speak of. It seems odd that its only now she has dementia that she is speaking about this and seems very sure of herself, but of course it may all be nothing.

Thanks to the rest of you for the suggestions, I'll follow up on the info you've given and see what more I can find :)

hi scarlet... it must be very difficult for you to get a true story from your mom but if you do find out anything more please let us know...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Great Clip brings back a LOST time of a GREAT FACTORY & BRITISH INDUSTRY AT IT BEST.Did any one go to the open days ,I will never forget the flash test between those two balls as seen in the clip.Remember that visit well I had been with the GEC for just one year, working as an EDO Apprentice.

Attached is a map of the GEC site for visitors to the Family Day in 1951 including where to see the High Voltage Demonstrations.

Attachments

• Open Day.jpg
    Open Day.jpg
    974.4 KB · Views: 61
yes a tony simpson did go to hams hall, but he didn,t work there, also mick cartner he didn,t work there either,!!! ray cope, THATS ME, i worked there, cyril batch also worked there. we all left parson,s 1973ish. 6 people left parsons lrpd one friday, poor jack meggett was walking round holding his head. mick payne, a lad called tony and someone else can,t remember who. other names i can recall, jim footman went to live in bristol,kenny hart went to australia working at kwinana p.station there,s a name. the 2 brothers who did all the drilling ken and bob, colin webb, despatch, we use to sell t bags ,deodarant, pots and pans you name it, we sold it from that bench. happy days, made some good friends, had some brill. nights out with the people who worked in lrpd, remember going to penns hall, very posh back in the day, also the crown aldridge, we had a sit down meal, then cabaret,this artist? had about a dozen white doves flying round the room, well after a while these doves decided they had had enough of being told what to do, they went berserk and started flying round the room and sh-----g all over the place. all good fun till the entertainments committee got the cleaning bill. threads 291,299 GEC SCOTT.

Last edited:
Ray
I think your talking about Turbo shop, I left 1963 to work at Hams Hall there was myself Ray Griffiths, Terry Law, Ray Domney, & John Porter, Terry and myself was the only ones to see our time out with CEGB, Powergen I finished at Ham Hall Workshops 1992,Terry finished soon after myself from Hams Hall C.

Jack Megget worked nights with Cyril Batch and Jackie Wilde, day foreman was Wal Colley and Stan Jacques, Jack Megget had a bad accident damaging his eyesight a hydraulic pipe come adrift whilst pushing fitted bolts into stator joint links on Kincarding 200 mw

Where did you work at Hams Hall, I remember Billy Hughes ex GEC coming out for Parsons I remember Cyril Batch coming out.

regard Ray Griiffiths

I worked in Transformer winding till 1968.Won the JJ Grace cricket trophy in 1960 beating Admin.

Paddy Ryan was there captain.Great days.

hi ray, started at turbo shop october 1967, left feb. 1973, had 18 months car works, drews lane, hams hall c june 1974, mick cartner a few months before that, tony simpson came about 2 years later cyril batch shortly after. i left hams dec.1978. jack meggett was asst. foreman when i started at parsons ,stan jacques foreman. arthur woodward superintendant lovely man. colin tasker, graham ellis, reg marlow, eric golder,two top blokes, ken russell referee, albert sabin,dave doidge, keith slade, dave keith, percy grimsley, jim cooper, gerry ? irish lad, gordon blackwell, keith chester, johnny smith top car mechanic, john and bob simner, ?? riley crane driver fettler, noel crane driver, jack? slinger, plus the one and only mike shiny boots brown overalls immaculately dressed bond!!! i still keep in touch with mick payne through our love of crown green bowls, we are both captain,s of our respective over 60,s teams. tony simpson keeps in touch we go out for a bite to eat a few times a year, he treats me at the local chippie, i treat him at his favourite restaurant!!! nothing changed there then. i know a few have gone to the big turbo shop in the sky but so many good memories, ray c.

Last edited:
Back