• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inkerman St Vauxhall

Hi we also lived in Ruben Place, My older Brother David Stamps ,Mom, Vera & Dad Arthur in 60's.. my brother usto go to the Railway club.

I used to go to the Railway Club too. I even used to serve behind the bar for some time. Think (if I remember right) the stewards were Colin & Babs. We used to have some good nights there. Still remember cabaret shows that featured The Bobcats. I thought they were pretty good for their age.

I have only just seen a couple of the last messages on this thread, Susan I'm sorry I have only a vague recollection of the name Stamps. What number did you live at, we lived at number 1.

BazzM I spent many enjoyable night at the Railway Club, I used to go to all the dances on Saturday nights and usually played snooker whilst the girlfriend played Bingo on Friday Nights. We drank there many a night until the early hours of the morning, wasn't there something about the licensing house on BR property being different? I think the last time I was in there Was New Years Eve 1971/72 when I went to see some old friends.

Hi Phil. If I remember right, the committee had to apply for an extension for the bar to stay open late, but we used to have quite a few late nights. I mentioned earlier that the stewards were Colin & Babs. Well they were great to work for. They ensured that after every shift you did with them, that there was food & drink laid on for the staff. They never missed a night. I remember the bingo of course, and the snooker room. (Spent many an hour in there). I also used to take some of my 45s to play over the tannoy, so the members had something to listen to. It was a great little club, full of great members, staff & committee. Will never forget my times there.

BazzM, All I remember is spending many a night in the club until 3 or 4 in the morning and we were never bothered by the police, oddly enough the Railway Club in Small Heath was the same. I was told it was because the club stood on Government land (British Rail before privatisation) that normal licensing laws didn't apply. Perhaps they were pulling my leg, but its what I have believed all my life.

Phil
Maybe it was because members of the constabulary used it. When I lived in Birmingham I was told by a colleague whose family were in the pub trade (though I never visited) that there was a pub just round the corner from Digbeth Police Station that had similar opening hours, and was never raided for that reason.

Mike, How very true I have often spent many after hours in various pubs throughout Birmingham with various on duty and off duty policemen.

Hi my name was Pat Sheasby i lived at 160 inkerman street in the early 60s i lived with my aunt my parents lived in dollman street i went to guides with brenda waldron who had a siter sheila

Hi
I remember you from Loxton Street School. Brenda Waldron lived next door to my grandparents in Inkerman Street; I lived in Francis Street. Now resident in Cyprus - a far cry from those old days!

Don't know if you remember me - Graham Spencer. Ronnie Porter lived in the house behind us in Francis Street, and Brenda Broome lived next door but one. My other Francis St mates were Peter Lewis and Brian Tomlinson.

All the best
Graham

Hi Inkerman Street wallers, I to was born in Inkerman St. at number 141 opposite Mrs Penzers shop. I to remember the Waldens Sheila, Brenda, they had a brother called Bob, and their parents were jim and Kate.
Also the brittania where the publican s were the Bedford family in the 1940/50s they had a son called Jeffrey. there were also the sherbons, the Dixons the boot menders
Mrs Weston, the faulkners, the Gunns,the James's, Laura Nicholls,

there is quite a bit I remember I lived there for 26 years till 1966

Does anyone remember Alma Crecsent which ran across Inkerman St.There used to be a Sweet shop on the corner.I lived at 27 Alma Crecsent and went to Loxton st school.When I was 11yrs old 1938,we moved to Kingstanding into a posh new house with a bathroom. Would love to see a photo of Alma Crecsent back then.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Sorry Wally

I can't go back to 1938 but I have a couple of photos from the 60's. One shows Alma Crescent from Galton St to Inkerman St and another shows the junction of Alma Crescent looking along Dollman Street. I also include a map that I think I begged off Mikejee so that you can see just where the photos were taken from.

Attachments

• Nechells Alma Cres ---Galton St.jpg
    Nechells Alma Cres ---Galton St.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 67
  • s Cafe.jpg
    s Cafe.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 64
  • map c1910  alma crescent.jpg
    map c1910 alma crescent.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 66
My Nan was Laura Nichols she passed away in 2008 she moved to Chattaway St then into a nursing home in Ward End.

Hi Irene, I Don't recall the name FLOYD at 145, perhaps they moved in there when Mrs Hitchen died and the son Ray moved out
regards Bas

Hi Bas.Do you remember the Beswicks Family they lived next door to us and the other side the Chapman Family.I also remember the Kinkaids which we still see,the Cowans and the Moores.Irene

Back