• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

George

I just took a look and as far as I can see it is still there. Its been tarted up a little, but its still the same building. Its a big T shaped building. on Richard St, Adams St. It no longer has the checkered sides

Try birds eye view on

https://maps.live.com/

It lets you see the sides of the building and not just the roofs. I find it better when looking for a building.

Phil

THe Flated Factory is now a listed Building.Can anyone remember the checkered front wall on Dartmouth St collapsing into the street one night,I think it may have been early 80s.Dek

Can anyone shed any light on the company T.S. Element please? I think my grandfather worked for them in Birmingham. I can't seem to find anything on them on the web but I see they are mentioned in this thread connected to the canals. Many thanks for any info.

Re: Congratulations!

Hi

The only TS Element that I can recall were quarry owners, suppliers of sands and gravels, and haulage contractors. I used to see their vehicles around Birmingham a lot at one time. Though it's been a long time since I last saw one, I suppose they have been taken over by one of the larger companies like ARC or Tarmac.

Phil

Phil is correct in saying T.S. Element tipper lorries were to be seen all over the place at one time.

ts had a boat company,located at salford junction. they took coal etc.to the power station.all along the canal in nechells were there boats. at the gas works saltley was a small lake were they were kept when not in use.
as kids we would play in the boats. there is input on the www.i have had a look.to find what happend to the boats when they closed the com down. comet was found. it was converted to a pleasure boat.

From 1973 Kellys:
ELEMENT T. & S. LTD
transport contractors, fuel distributors, sand & gravel & road material suppliers;registered office, Salford Bridge wharf, Gravelly hill, -Erdington B24 8NW ((Tel 021-327 1685) & 77 Halesowen street, Oldbu.ry. Tel 021-515122
They were at the Salford road site from the 1940s, and also some other aites in and around the city. In 1932 it was Thomas & Samuel element . motor contractors with the head office at 7 St Clement's road, Nechells. In 1921 they were Steerers, contractors & slag quarry owbers. again in St Clements Road . Anyone know what "Steerers" were, or maybe it was a missprint ?

T&S Element are known probably by many as being concerned with road haulage. But before that they were heavily involved in canal movements.

One commodity, also carried by Claytons, was tar. Although the link I post is primarily concerned with models there is, you will find, a great deal of information about UK canals aka The Cut .

https://models.bipolar4all.co.uk/Elements.htm

HI RADIO;
Mike is correct in what he has stated about T;S and there main office during the 40 ;50 ;years was the cannals aggrrvate
andthere yard as on the salford cannals yard gates on the tyburn bridge ; during the sixtys my brother inlaw drove a wagon for them
he used to live down devonshire sreet of lodge rd bythe devonshire arms across the rd facing the little shop ; and my nan lived
right next door to the little shop in devonshire street and she died there
i certainly remember there yard as well myself i used to watch them turn the trams artound down there my pals and myself daily
you could look in there yard even rom the bridge you would see there wagons it was abit later years they done road haulage ;
around the same time as betts haulage ; which was started by one man ; up park rd aston; i still the guy and his family ;
his daughter used to work for us at our bussiness he used to park his lorrys up by kent st north by snelgroves i think it was he started with one lorrry and built it up to a couple as he got older he sold his bussiness now its world wide ; best wishes astonian

Seems very reasonable to me for an occupation, Sylvia, but not sure I would expect it to be listed as one of the things a firm did, when they are already listed as quarry owners & contractors

couple of nice pics here for the gosta members...

gosta green.

img752.jpg

gosta green rag market..

img753.jpg

Dad said that his sister used to go to get old coats from that market in Gosta Green to make the boys trousers with.

Any one help me with a bit of research I'm doing on the Ash Family....it begins thus...In 1841 Thomas Ash, a 40 year old Burton man, then living in Prospect Row, Birmingham, was the owner and developer of a metal business - Thomas Ash and Son (don’t know where this was….anyone?). Coating iron or steel in molten zinc to form a rust proof, ‘galvanised’ alloy, had only been discovered around 1831 in France, and Thomas must have been fairly quick off the starting blocks, by working towards putting this process into commercial use by his company. Being the son of a chemist, must have helped and inspired him greatly.

I know the 1841 Kelly's lists the company, but am too mean to purchase the whole shebang for one snippet...?

Last edited:
Jim

I can't tell you how happy I am to see my favourite thread back open once again, thanks so much.

Dennis

I know nothing of the company whilst Thomas Ash was living at Prospect Row, but we did business with them whilst they were at Rea Street South that would be some 8 years ago and they were expanding then so I would imagine they are still there.

Dennis

I think you mean the 1841 Pigot's directory. this shows Thomas Ash , zinc worker at Hen & chickens Yard, High St. This was presumably the yard behind where the Hen & Chickens had been before it moved to New St, somewhere I believe around where M & S is.
I don't know if they have any connection with the following:
1823 Ash J. and H. copper smiths, braziers, and tin and iron plate workers, 86, Dale-end
1829 Ash Henry, coppersmith, brazier, tin and iron plate worker, 86, Dale-end
1833 Ash Henry, coppersmith, brazier, tin and iron plate worker, 1, Dale-end
1839 Ash and Morris, copper smiths, braziers, tin plate workers, and fender
makers, 1, Dale end

after 1841:
1845(PO directory) Ash Thomas, zinc manufacturer, 3 Peck Lane
1845 (PO directory) Ash Thomas, zinc & galvanized iron worker 119½ New St
1849 Ash Thomas & Son, galvanized iron & zinc workers, manufacturers
of sash bars & bell [tubing, &c. & inventors of the patent stair rods, 119 New street, 3 Peck lane, & Ashted row.

The mention of Ashted Row hints to me that there may be a family connection with this person, though I wouldn't think it was the same Thomas:
1823 Ash Thomas, druggist, grocer, and oil and colour man, 38, Stafford-street, and 56, Lichfield-street
1829 Ash Thomas, grocer, tea dealer, druggist, and oil & colourman, 65, Coleshill-st
1833 Ash Thomas,grocer, tea dealer, druggist, and oil and colourman, Prospect-row
1839-1841 Ash Thomas, chymist and druggist, 6 Prospect Row
1845 (PO directory) Ash Thomas , chemist & galvanic ring manufacturer & post office receiving house . 167 Ashted Row.

There is also in Whites 1850 directory:
Ash Frederick, iron and steel merchant; house, Selby Oak cottage, Northfield/ who might be connected.
If you want me to go after 1849 , then let me know.

Back