• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cutler Family Bartley Green-schools-

Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family

We have a photo of Athol Farm (Kirk's) taken I think (without looking through our files) in the 1930s. Thanks Phil for giving an approximate position of the entrance and also your 'scrumping' memories. Done that myself in my youth although this was in Turves Green.

Hi, I would love to be able to open this photo. It contains my mother in law, Shirley Marshall. Her parents Fred and Peggy Marshall lived on Jiggins Lane. My maternal family are the famous Broadbents who resided at Adams Hill (Alan, John, Joy, Graham, Keith - the older members (Joy is my mom) and the younger clan, Annette, Janine & Paul. One member of the family still lives at Adams Hill as well as my nan, Nancy. My grandfather Albert Broadbent, was one of the founder members of the Bartley Green Social Club, where he was Secretary for years and years ...... I think his photo still hangs in the bar there with the football club! My paternal family were the Jones' that resided initially at Woodcock Lane and then Penrith Croft. As you can see I have lots of family connections with Bartley green including now my In-laws. I would love to be able to open the above photo? any tips?

Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family .

Hi, I would love to be able to open this photo. It contains my mother in law, Shirley Marshall. Her parents Fred and Peggy Marshall lived on Jiggins Lane. My maternal family are the famous Broadbents who resided at Adams Hill (Alan, John, Joy, Graham, Keith - the older members (Joy is my mom) and the younger clan, Annette, Janine & Paul. One member of the family still lives at Adams Hill as well as my nan, Nancy. My grandfather Albert Broadbent, was one of the founder members of the Bartley Green Social Club, where he was Secretary for years and years ...... I think his photo still hangs in the bar there with the football club! My paternal family were the Jones' that resided initially at Woodcock Lane and then Penrith Croft. As you can see I have lots of family connections with Bartley green including now my In-laws. I would love to be able to open the above photo? any tips?

If you send me your e.mail address I will send you the picture.Mine is [email protected].

hi my family are related cousins way back to the cutlers my great great great grandmothers sister harriet guest married a cutler any info on either family would be warmly recieved regards kay x would you know of anyone in the bartley green area reasearching the guests please ?

It's been a while since I signed in but was intrigued to read your memories Paul of the Tower Shop in Field Lane and the house next door. Do you recall if the house faced the road or was sideways facing up Field Lane. The old photo of the 30s shows the school on the corner, then the teacher's house, followed by another house sideways to the road and then the water tower. I've often wondered if the Tower Stores was in one of these houses or another building.
Regards Maureen

I've often wondered if the Tower Stores was in one of these houses or another building.
Regards Maureen
The Tower Stores were situated in the Water Tower. There is a block of flats on the site now. I believe the tower was the old fire station.

Thanks Phil. That answers one of my queries. Do you recall if the house that stood sideways to the road was still in existence when the store was open?

Hi Maureen, sorry only just seen your note, as far as I remember, there were 3 large detached Victorian houses, the end one with the tower shop, all were parallel with the road facing the church and old St Michaels school and playground, the first house was called "Field House", I believe, and the old Lady who lived there was called Field, the next house was St Michaels annex, the next being the tower shop. I still have a scar from a rabbit bite from the tower shop, as he sold many things including pets. When old Miss Field died the house was left derelict, and we called it the haunted house, we went scrumping in the old garden which had apple, pear. and gooseberry's, but were too frit to go in the house. This was I believe around 56/57, it would have been just before or after the New St Michaels was opened. I hope that my memory serves me right. The big slabs along the side of the church yard, along field lane my dad put there when the road was widened. paul, I have a photo of me with a St Michaels badge aged about 7, but cannot attach to this email for some reason.

Thanks Paul for your 'memories'. Mrs Field, I believe, was Constance Field who used to be a teacher at the old St. Michaels, I will have to check my records. I have heard of an annex before but for some reason thought it was in Genners Lane. I know the Beard family ran the Tower Stores - I wonder if anyone knows there whereabouts. This all helps to build up a 'picture' of that particular corner of Field Lane. I'm grateful for any photos that people have of the area, let's hope you manage to upload one. Again, many thanks. Maureen

Maureen, there was an annex, next to Mr Gurneys Vicarage, in Genners Lane, this was a sort of Nissan hut where we went to see Father Christmas , had parties, and had some sort of dancing, those sort of lessons, the one across the road was a class room for teaching, etc. Paul

I think I should start a TOPIC for Bartley Green so that people who want to know or ask about the area can find it easily :fat: I'm uploading a photo of Field Lane and wonder if you could identify which building was used for the school annex, or indeed pass on any other information that comes to mind. Maureenham Hist.Forum.jpg

Yes Maureen, if I remember right, the first was the school classroom annex, the second was Miss Fields House, and in my day the tower house was a shop. It really is quite strange to see it again, after 61, years , it is nearly as I remember it. although the photo is much older than that. Thank you for posting. paul

Hi Phil, Do you remember Gillian's surname by any chance. Chris Facer and I went to school with her but I can't remember her surname. Our family moved to Bartley Green in 1957. I went to Woodgate junior school for one term before going to Adams Hill. My wife and I were married in the old St Michaels church in 1966. The rev Houghton was the vicar at the time.

We (B.Green History Group) are adding wedding photos from St Michaels to our archives, any chance we could get a copy or two?

hi carol
i was just wondering whether or not was there any sibbling involved in the gambling world of bookies
may be not but as soon as i seen cutlers name i emeiately thought of the bussiness venture of cutler and prescot bookies as they was on the old six ways aston
next to the school as i used to used them in my younger days prescott and cutlers eventualy parted and cutlers was on there own for awhile
this in the fiftys and very early sixty one period i last heard of then when they went down and finished prescott was the boxer
i thought i would add that to your research ;it was jut afer there break that johny prescott openend up a steel stockist bussnes just further downthe rd on victoria rd aston ;best of luck in your research best wishes Astonian;;;;;;

Hi Phil, Gillian was the girl who owned Gillians Hairdressers in the village. I believe the hairdressers was in the corner beside Hudsons.

pix as requested. (I hope) March 5th 1966. Just celebrated our 48th anniversary.
FRH

Last edited:
Back