• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
war plaque.jpghi folks...to cut a long story short..an aquaintance of mine ken stowe who was working on the JCB s in 1970/71 was ordered to a demolished building on monument road ladywood and told to shovel up all the rubble and dispose of it..he spotted a lovely marble tablet dedicated to 7 local postmen who gave their lives for this country..feeling that it was not right to do this he kept the tablet and its been with him for over 40 years..he didnt really know just what to do with it but knew it had to be kept safe...as you know this year will be 100 years since the outbreak of the great war and im sure you will all agree that now is the time for it to be placed once again on an appropriate building somewhere in the ladywood area..these men must not be forgotton and its so sad to think that they nearly were...i am now contacting people who maybe able to help me get the tablet put back where it rightfully belongs so that these men will never be forgotton again..if any of our members are related to these men or can offer me any help or advise please feel free to contact me..

lyn

Last edited:
Fantastic Lyn! So good that your friend rescued it. And such a lovely marble tablet. Hopefully it will find a good home. Would the Post Office be able to help find an appropriate home? Maybe you've already tried that. Viv.

Fantastic Lyn! So good that your friend rescued it. And such a lovely marble tablet. Hopefully it will find a good home. Would the Post Office be able to help find an appropriate home? Maybe you've already tried that. Viv.

yes viv ive got the post office on my list of people to bombard i really cant let this rest i feel very strongly about it...all it needs is a little clean up...2 bolts...an appropriate place to reinstate and above all someone who cares enough about these men to step up to the mark and do something about it..

lyn

Last edited:
hi astoness
looking at the plaque i noticed the name concannon my mothers maidon name is concannon
i am wondering if there is a conection i have not come across the initial F in my family search but will be intresting to find out and to help get the plague put back
josie

viv thanks for the link to the post office archives site i have not heard of it...i think this could be of use to us..will get in touch with them and of course i will keep everyone updated with any news i have...

josie i did think that concannon was an unusual name so if you do find a link to your family please let me know...

cheers

lyn

Just had a look at the site that vivienne14 kindly posted. Put Birmingham in the search box and you come up with a few results, including this one.

Attachments

• dserve.jpg
    dserve.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 102
thanks terry ive already seen that one in the flesh when i was very kindly given a guided tour of the inside of hockley hill post office a couple of years back..

lyn

Morning Lyn. In case you don't have this info, here are two records for Alexander Leadbeater and F. Concannon. If the Alex Leadbeater record is our man, his wife lived in Erdington. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392974544.690049.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392974559.623778.jpg

thanks viv and dwilly..i have just received a reply from the postal heritage site who requested a photo of the tablet..just sent if off so will wait for them to get back to me..:encouragement:

Two more records Lyn; Meredith and Holmes. Would love to know more about these men. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392975231.252813.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392975246.896358.jpg

this is excellent viv...i am hoping that the names will be recognised by someone...my grandad lived in prescott st ladywood when he joined up for the RFA so may well have known these men...

lyn

Haven't found any definite records for Bull or Sharp yet. Was wondering if anyone knows if the Labour Corps and Medical Corps would have been attached to a named regiment? Sorry, don't know much about how these were organised. (As an example there's an A E Sharp (Devonshire Regiment) buried at St. Barnabas in Erdington - but this could be a red herring of course). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392978486.405714.jpg

On Ancestry, Alexander Leadbeater comes up as Leadbetter on both Medal Roll Card and Ireland Casulaties of WW!.

Colin

Back