• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Wow! What a story Ivan...the sort that abounded and entranced me when I first joined this site....I never used the place...more of a 'downtown' boozer me...the Cabin and the Temple Bar, the Troc (careful laddie....NO!) and the Windsor, Yates's and a few others...but not the White Hart... a bit posh for us plebs...in fact I can't ever remember it (damn my eyes!) ....but to think you have the actualitee...I feel like bowing to your image Sir....he said attempting to genuflect as much as geriatric hips allow....a million thank you's...It was a Georgian building dating from 1803 according to Joe McKenna, our Pub guy...and latterly gobbling up the next door Roussell Ltd in 1952...and then being sacrificed, along with a few other notable buildings, for the Inner Ring Rd and Library in 1965...plus ca changes....

View attachment 90841Hi Dennis,
Would Joe McKenna know when The White Hart ceased to be designated as an Inn?

Ivan

Many thanks folk. For a moment I thought it was the one my Dad bought but later realised this one is slightly later as Dad's had a slightly smaller rear window. The Reg No I had hoped to see was KOJ 340.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Some lovely old vehicles in that pic. Not sure if the road/street name but I get the impression, by the line in the tarmac, that this had once been a tram route. Interestingly for a busy street there is not a bus insight.

Just having the usual argument with management about 'picture placing' in the hall, and I came across this print we cannot even remember buying, but it was a very long time ago...it says on the back..."Antique print guaranteed to be over 100 years old"...but I've never seen any copy of this posted anywhere...and it's not signed...help???
...so I've numbered the usual suspects 1-12...anyone care to fill in the grid..? I THINK the aspect is from the East...? And I've never seen that 'sunken garden' in ANY similar period print...

View attachment 90966Bham Print no date copy.jpg

Dennis

I think this print has been discussed before on the forum, I think then that I suggested it was the view from Highgate Park at the time it was sketched and I included this modern dame image of the same location today.

Attachments

• Highgate Park 2.jpg
    Highgate Park 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 42
Dennis

I think this print has been discussed before on the forum, I think then that I suggested it was the view from Highgate Park at the time it was sketched and I included this modern dame image of the same location today.

The same steps

Doesn't look anything like the ones in the picture.

There is a skyline view from Highgate Park (seen in 2010)

ellbrown

I think you will find that in about a hundred years things change, staircases get altered and skylines change. Though some of us can still remember over 50 years ago and still picture how these things looked before they went crazy with the demolition hammer and the silly building brigade arrived.

Yeah, it's Highgate Park right enough and if you look on the 1890 OS you will be able to recognise the paths in the park. Perhaps some of the park was cut off by the road bend of New Mosely Road...perhaps a later addition than when the picture was made. So maybe only a single flight of stairs was then required. The problem with these pictures is scale. The foreground can be reasonably accurate but those buildings in the background are 2 miles away and if shown to scale would be a little pin *****. So they cheat. Anyway, be that as it may, the direction of the buildings numbered is not too bad at all. I don't think that this is the picture that we were looking at...hmmm...all those years ago but may be wrong and maybe some of the buildings are not concurrent. Anyway here's a shot :

1. St. Thomas's

2. Maybe Mason Collage

3. Town Hall

4. Christ Church

5. Council House

6. The Tower of the Hippodrome

7. St. Philips with King Edwards in front of it

8. St Martins

9. Looks like a little chapel but there was a police stn. down there

10. Unknown but there is a cross on top..same as above?

11. Highgate Park.

Phil -

Maybe the steps were further down? Also there is a lot of trees in the way now.

Perhaps the old steps were somewhere near the playground or sports pitch?

It also has a hill

Last edited:
ellbrown

What you say is entirely possible, they may have moved the staircase or rebuilt it, I seem to remember the staircase just below the tennis courts and bowling green which are gone now. The lower garden are was all playground when I was a child so the park itself has changed a lot over the years. Though I think this map is from roughly the same time as the sketch, I also think it was entirely possible that the fountain was replaced by the statue of King Edward at sometime.

Attachments

• highgate park.JPG
    highgate park.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 35
Back