• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The ' Unofficial Truce'. Xmas 1914

Interesting reading your links, Roy.
It seems remarkable that the truce took place only nine days after the German Navy bombarded Hartlepool on the morning of 16th December 1914. Over 1,000 shells were fired during the bombardment causing much devastation to the town and its people. More than 100 people were killed and in excess of 200 were injured. This attack on the British mainland had an enormous effect on the British public confirming to many people that we were fighting a nation of barbarians. One wonders if the troops in the trenches had heard about Hartlepool and if they had, then the truce was certainly remarkable.

The Christmas Truce. 1914 ( WW1 ).
A concise article referring to this unusual event.
www.historicaleye.com/xmastruce.html

I was interested in the map showing the trenches covering the area of the truce,
My father was serving in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at the time, and fought in the battle of Neuve Chappelle.
I don’t ever remembering him talking about the truce.
Do you know if the Worcesters got involved?
Nick

As you say oldMohawk, one wonders if the front line troops where receiving such news from the ' home front ' prior to the
Truce. My guess would be that the ' Trench Lads ' ( on both sides ) where caught up in a totally unusual situation and where reacting purely individualistically.

Interesting reading your links, Roy.
It seems remarkable that the truce took place only nine days after the German Navy bombarded Hartlepool on the morning of 16th December 1914. Over 1,000 shells were fired during the bombardment causing much devastation to the town and its people. More than 100 people were killed and in excess of 200 were injured. This attack on the British mainland had an enormous effect on the British public confirming to many people that we were fighting a nation of barbarians. One wonders if the troops in the trenches had heard about Hartlepool and if they had, then the truce was certainly remarkable.

I'm not sure if mail was censured in WW1 but the mail certainly got there quick, see link.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25934407

Anyone interested in this subject might like to have a look at a Video just put out on ' You Tube '.
Google : Sainsbury's OFFICIAL Christmas 2014 Ad

Back