• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Two Hands, The Packhorse, The Cheshire Cat and The Harlequin - Shard End!

I used to use the Cheshire Cat a lot. Its now sheltered accommodation for the elderly, but as a nice touch they have kept the old pub sign, and its called 'Cheshire Court'
My late mother in law worked for many years as a cleaner at The Harlequin. When it was demolished to build the new doctors surgery, they found a huge unexploded WW2 bomb on the site.

I have a few memories back in the day when it was the two hands!! I was about 5 yrs old when I moved in with my Parents back in 73/74. Sid and Daphne were the landlords back in the day with Jimmy as the head barman. Does anyone recall them..

F.A.O. Bluebrummie.
Your father would'nt be Frank Parker would it? who use to play darts in the Two Hands, if it is I knew him quite well.

Terry

Forgive me Terry for the late reply! :) I did not know this was here and I haven't been on for a long while now! Yes and I do believe you are the same Terry I spoke to on the Shard End group on Facebook! ;-)

hmm so did i go there for the cb club, what was ur handle mine was the model lol, wonders if we remember each other
Forgive me for the late reply! :) I did not know this was here and I haven't been on for a long while now! Oh my gosh! I remember you! I was blue 6. :-D

Thats right Frank, we spoke the other day. I am now posting some rare pics. One of the Packhorse and the other of The Chesire Cat. Courtesy of the Shard End forum on F/Book.

Attachments

• 1559453_10200457506678972_1617692729_o.jpg
    1559453_10200457506678972_1617692729_o.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 1537467_10200457508199010_329080511_o.jpg
    1537467_10200457508199010_329080511_o.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 90
I lived in shard end early 60,s.Married Tony Coley ( deceased)....I had my wedding reception at the Cat pub .1965....I remember Valerie and Harry Dougard and their daughter ...also Rene Hall and family.Anyone remember Albert and Liz Coley from Pencroft Road.....??

Hi I remember all these pubs, I had my stag night in the Harlequin , we used to almost live in there' ,the lads still meet up in the white horse Curdworth 6 times a year .

I lived in shard end early 60,s.Married Tony Coley ( deceased)....I had my wedding reception at the Cat pub .1965....I remember Valerie and Harry Dougard and their daughter ...also Rene Hall and family.Anyone remember Albert and Liz Coley from Pencroft Road.....??
Hi I remember the Susan sutcliffe and the Worths , the griffins all from pen croft

Only just spotted this as haven't been on for a while. I used to live next door to Mrs Hall and family.
My sister also had a part time job at the Harlequin around 1965/66 to save for her Italian holidays. I went in the Harlequin a couple of times but wasn't really interested in drinking pubs as loved dancing particularly at the Hunters Moon disco in 1967 when I was still at school before we graduated to Carlton club then town. Happy days.

I will take this opportunity to post pics of the 3 remaining pubs left in Shard End. The Brookmeadow, The Trident and the Heathway, though now under a different name. There is one missing of which I have been unable to find a picture of, and that is the Woodside, which was actually on the Yorkswood estate although I think most people would regard it as Shard End. I would love to find a pic of it so if anyone has one could you please post it, I would be most grateful.

Attachments

• The Heathway heathway shard end.jpg
    The Heathway heathway shard end.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 80
  • The Trident timberley lane shard end 3.jpg
    The Trident timberley lane shard end 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • The Brookmeadow old forest way shard end 2.jpg
    The Brookmeadow old forest way shard end 2.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 78
Does anyone have any memories of these pubs from Shard End. Like many other pubs these days they have now disappeared! :(

The Two Hands.
The Packhorse.
The Cheshire Cat.
The Harlequin.

My apologies if they already have been talked about. :)

Aware I am ridiculously late to this party but... I used to live in The Cheshire.. My mum & dad ran it for about 2 years round about 1987.
I have vcr somewhere of Christmas night staff party/lock in.

Used to go with my mom to the outdoor at the Harlequin, we lived in the maisonettes in packington Avenue. I left to join the Navy in 74but used to go to the Packhorse and Harlequin during leave.

I have a vague recollection of drinking in the Cheshire Cat with a girl from Shard End. We met in a club that was opposite the Timberley P.H. on the Chester Rd. but I can't remember the name of the club. I used to frequent the Hunters Moon especially Sunday lunchtimes but after I was married it was the cabaret nights only!

Hi,

Used to go to the Packhorse for the CB Club in the early 80's.
I think the gaffer's name there was Pete, and he left there to go to the
Eagle in Nechells
My handle was Skyking.

Kind regards
Dave

Back