• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats correct bernard they later moved to the bottom end down by the steel house end
and it later became brownies and girl guides uniforms as well ; but many later years later in the latter part of the sixties it changed to a works inform and overals shop
it had double windows one half on he corporation street side and the front door was almost facing the central fire stationand the other window was in steel house lane side as you took the corner to walk up the lane and eventualy it turned into a coffee shop ; and years later into a wine bar best wishes astonian;

Remember the Girl Guide and overall stuff too Alan. But my favourite was the tent displays, don't know why, maybe as a child it seemed marvellous that they'd put tents up indoors!

Phil, when the new Taylor's/Owen, Owen was built (when it was re-built it was still called Taylor's) they left the victorian building on either side. Just up from Taylor's was a cafe on the corner of Harrison Road. Spent many, many hours in there with a frothy coffee! Think it was called the Griddle Inn in the 60s/70s. Viv.

hi david
the place you are on about is dyson hall park street it was oppersite church lane and by the vine pub and my aunt and cousins lived at number ten
i lived and born at 5/92 lichfield road and i myself enrolled with the life bouys it was great fun but also the 1 st company of the boys brigade of birmingham
was also was in there it was run by capt; roberts whom lived in albert rd next to the bag wash shop down thee next to aston park
my tw older brothers was in the brigade my oldest brother ron whom is in his mid seventys now was lead drummer and the second oldest died two years ago he was lead bugler and thee friend and still family friend was john Lloyed whom also still alive and they are still in touch john lived in white house street aston next to our nans old house
and neibour to the chinns when he was a kid ;best wishes alan astonian;;;;
What a small world we live in Alan, we surely must have crossed paths all those years ago and now in old age still sharing the little stories about when we nippers. I think our parents would have been quietly proud that we hadn't forgotten our roots. Kind regards old friend and keep up the gentle reminders, David.

Its strange how many of us wanted to wear uniforms back in those days. Looking at the little boy in the photo he possibly served in the armed forces in WW2. I was in the boy scouts and remember how eager I was to earn my badges and sew them on to my uniform. I seem to remember a 'Scouts Shop' in the city but can't remember exactly where it was. I've had a search on the forum and can find plenty of scouts but no 'Scouts Shop'. The Boy's Brigade had the best street marching band in our district.

John Ball's Birmingham memories website refers to a Scout Shop in Dale End. The section where it is referred to is in Walk No.5

I remember the scout/guide shop in Dale End. I went there about 1983 when I was Tawny Owl to buy badges for the Brownie pack I helped out with in Studley. Facing the law courts it was along that road to the right.

I visit the scout shop a few times in the 50's when I spent about 6 months in the scouts. The scout shop was in Dale End and it was as near as I can make out the shop on the left hand side of this photo with the window shade open.

Attachments

• City Dale End 1958 .jpg
    City Dale End 1958 .jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 441
I visit the scout shop a few times in the 50's when I spent about 6 months in the scouts. The scout shop was in Dale End and it was as near as I can make out the shop on the left hand side of this photo with the window shade open.
Thanks for reminding me Dale End seems to be where I visited the scout shop. Thinking back about the uniforms we wore, I had a cubs uniform, then a scouts uniform, an Air Training Corps uniform, before I eventually wore an RAF uniform. I then went many years without a uniform until the company I worked for decided everyone in the organisation should wear a uniform with the company logo and each persons name on it. I've still got it hanging in the garage !!

Gosh! That's pretty much how I remember Dale End and every time I see these photo's now I yearn for how it was. A place of no distinction now. I probably rode on that 56 bus and before that the trams...another yearning.
One of the key places in Birmingham along with the Bull Ring and Victoria Square and The Old Square and Temple Row. Dale End was in there, vying for equality. Trying not to be in the second division so to speak. The widening out of the roadway was no doubt because of the space needed for the market there. Presided over by the Welch Cross and The Lamb House. Later there was a tram shelter down the middle of the road made in Victorian style with cast iron decorated posts. That part of the road was called Broadway at one time...not to be confused with the road on the opposite side of town. There was a church further down the road on the right...can't remember the name and none of us would have seen it anyway. Similarly we would not have seen the tram shelter. Down the road to the immediate right were meeting houses and the place had human vibrancy. It's all built over now...a new form of being derelict. Oh! for a rewind.

Gosh! That's pretty much how I remember Dale End and every time I see these photo's now I yearn for how it was. A place of no distinction now. I probably rode on that 56 bus and before that the trams...another yearning.
One of the key places in Birmingham along with the Bull Ring and Victoria Square and The Old Square and Temple Row. Dale End was in there, vying for equality. Trying not to be in the second division so to speak. The widening out of the roadway was no doubt because of the space needed for the market there. Presided over by the Welch Cross and The Lamb House. Later there was a tram shelter down the middle of the road made in Victorian style with cast iron decorated posts. That part of the road was called Broadway at one time...not to be confused with the road on the opposite side of town. There was a church further down the road on the right...can't remember the name and none of us would have seen it anyway. Similarly we would not have seen the tram shelter. Down the road to the immediate right were meeting houses and the place had human vibrancy. It's all built over now...a new form of being derelict. Oh! for a rewind.

The buildings on the far right were still there up until about 1990 i think, there was a decent chip shop there. I think that row of buildings to the right were called Kings parade or something like that. Most of Dale End was to be redeveloped a few years ago but the economic climate has held it up, it's dire at the moment...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martineau_Galleries

I suppose there is an easy answer, but why Dale End ? why wasn't it called Dale Street ?
I can't immediately think of another thoroughfare in Birmingham called an 'end'.

Carl Chinn states (Streets of Brum pt 1) that Dale end was at the end of a dale leading to Coleshill. There is also deritend, though i am not sure what a Derit (Deryt) was

Phil, thankyou for posting the photo in post #903, I have been looking for a photo of that end of Lichfield road for ages, it shows Moon's paper shop and as stated Banning's prior to the last chance café opening, it brings back lots of memories.

Carl Chinn states (Streets of Brum pt 1) that Dale end was at the end of a dale leading to Coleshill. There is also deritend, though i am not sure what a Derit (Deryt) was

Think 'Derit' came from 'Dirty' Mike. So was the dirty end of town, 'cos of all those stinking tanners! Viv

Sorry to bring this healthy discussion back to serious basics but I cant see the lady in the short skirt on that other balustrade pic. :)

Hi Stephen. As you're interested, from a .... ahem ... historical point, here she is pushing a pram. Looks like the sort of getup I wore, but in the late 60s. Brazen hussey, as we'd jokingly say!Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389792571.675278.jpg

Thanks Viv - I'm glad someone else spotted her, I was trying to think how I could answer Stephen's request about getting back to basics.
She was well ahead of her time when others in the pic are wearing dull gaberdine macs and head scarfs.
Phil

Thanks Mike - I will have to have a look at Carl Chinn's book because I'm starting to wonder about other street names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back