• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Heath

castalla

master brummie
I have found out that my Grandfather lived in Adrain Cottage Kings Heath 1901 Census, has anybody any idea where this was obvisually not there anymore

Hi Castalla,

It's not showing up on the address list, so a road or the name of the person would help please.

Maurice

Adrian cottages were located just off the High Street opposite the Baptist Church, and were demolished in the 80's when the area was rebuilt. The Safeway store is now Asda

Colin

Attachments

• AdrianCott.jpg
    AdrianCott.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 44
Lots of Breakwells in 1901, but I can't find any for Kings Heath. In 1911 there's one family in Grange Road and another in Addison Road. Forename please?

EDIT: Never mind, Colin's come up with the answer!

Maurice

Thanks Colin B for the info, Sospiri i have all info for the Breakwells same people inn Grange road and moved from Adrians Cottage

Adrian cottages were located just off the High Street opposite the Baptist Church, and were demolished in the 80's when the area was rebuilt. The Safeway store is now Asda

Colin

That Baptist Chapel was a school annexe when I was at Wheelers Lane school.
Surely it's not still standing !

My Grat Aunt and Uncle Florrie and Bill Finch (he had a big lump on his back from polio when young) lived at 54 Highbury road i know it´s a long road but did you ever know them, also seeing a old photo on here, do you know if they were related to the shop on the corner of Silver street Finch´s was any relation by any chance, sorry to trouble you if you didi not know them.

Hi Castalla, yes I do remember them ,they worked at Caburys ,as I and my mother Phyllis did.WIe lived at 99 Highbury Rd. I think that shop was on the corner of Silver St and Fairfield Rd , I do not know if there was any relationship .

Hi NormaCook, Yes thats right both worked there, just not sure if the shop was any relation, doing family tree and though it´s a long way off as yet can´t wait until the 1921 census is out to see if Florries sister Gladys who was married in 1917 was living with her husband there, or had moved to Penden Road yardley wood where my mom was born, who you probally did not know as she was born before ypu in 1926, but thank you it´s nice to know somebody who remember them.

Forgot to say went down Highbury Road 2 years ago to show daughter where family came from and 54 has the same front door and has not been painted since i remember it back in the 60´s, wanted to take her around the back but side alley leading to Gardens was closed off, wondered if they still had a outside loo.

Hi Castalla
Have just come back on ,thank you for your reply. I do remember another lady either staying at Florrie and Bill's.(Somewhere in my mind says Pat-?) or visiting regularly Bearing in mind I was about 16 ,I just used to say hello.I would guess she was about 30 ish.
My husband is keen on geneaology and has done my family tree on Ancestry.com.I know he is frustrated that the 1921 census has been delayed ,but he has promised to see if he can unravel any more on your side.
I well remember the outside loo. I still have my mom's rent books ,don't ask me why.I think that a lot of houses around there were rented from George Fishers of Harbourne
I am sorry that I can't help you more

Thank you for that, i have done a lot of Geneaolgy, on the Finch´s, but so far not come across a Pat, however there may well of been a relative some where down the line.Why they don´t publish census less then 100 years is beyond me espically when you can get Electrol Rolls. I have been doing my dads side and being irish thats worse 1) a lot of documents were destroyed in the wars 1920´s or they never kept records at all and owing to the wars no 1921 census was taken so the next one is 1926 i.e 2026, hope they did a 1931 ? who knows . did not know about houses rented from Fishers can´t say i have ever heard of them

Hi Castalla, Thank you for your reply, as I said I'm not 100% sure that the lady's name was Pat ,that is just something that I in mind. As you may have gathered I was going back 50 odd years. I understand the problems regarding tracing your dad's side of the family ,I have had the same problems tracing my grandfather's Irish

Back