• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Dairies

That's a nice article, Mike. My wife was receptionist at Handsworth Dairies on Island Road, from about 1969 until we went abroad in 1977. She enjoyed her time there. It closed down maybe 15 years ago, and the last time I drove past was derelict. It's probably been demolished now.

When I was a kid the Co-Op milkman's poor old horse collapsed and died near our house - I was totally gutted.

Big Gee

My wife Barbara, worked in accounts around 1975-6 and is still in contact with a couple of her ex-workmates from 35-36 years ago.

That's a nice article, Mike. My wife was receptionist at Handsworth Dairies on Island Road, from about 1969 until we went abroad in 1977. She enjoyed her time there. It closed down maybe 15 years ago, and the last time I drove past was derelict. It's probably been demolished now.

When I was a kid the Co-Op milkman's poor old horse collapsed and died near our house - I was totally gutted.

Big Gee

The site has been developed with high end housing.

Hi big Gee and Dave;
i worked at the handsworth dairies many years ago and not long after they introduced the long life and carton milk
and after getting first hand viewing of the milk production it put me off ever buying carton milk never ever bought carton
milk since and i never ever will ; after seing guys strolling around in the surrounding baths that catch all the milk
which is gallons of it when the carton machines jammed up and they have to stopp the machines and released the the said cartons that jammed the machine and reload it with cartons to get the machines restarted and start filling those cartons in wellingtons
and sucking it all back into the machine and putting back into cartons and into storage anddeep freeze
and there long life milk was roduced and pakaged up to nine months in advance and kept instorage for when ever
i certainly would not buy or drink it never
i had previosly worked for midland dairyies on the rounds of handsworth delivering to houses and shops
but they had none of that stuff in fact the whole dairy was abit of a mes it was a scruffy place apart fromthe offices
top of the morning to you all and do not forget to shake your cream up on top of the bottle; did any of you buy the gold top cream milk
best wishes alan ; astonian

Made redundant in 2001 after 10 years of what was the best Job I ever had, going to Perry Pont after doing General Haulage that job was great. Delivered to all regional depots with an Artic, not a horse.

Big Gee

when I was a lad both the milkman and baker had a horse, we kids would feed them grass and bread an much to the drivers annoyance when older I used to help both for a small payment and would be allowed to drive for short distances. One of the horses wore a straw hat in summer and a sort of balaclava in winter.
paul

HI PAUL
I Found that a very intresting story and tryed to visualize the pictureof the horse standing there
with his straw hat on and it made me smile in fact i am laughing even thou about this visual in my head with you and the horse
thanks for making us smile have a good day paul ; best wishes alan ;;

Hi alan, glad you enjoyed that little memory, yes they were slower happier days never a lot of money but when I look back we kids were always laughing. you have a nice day too.
regards paul.

My friend John Stevenson lived there, he was married at St Andrews Church, Small Heath then we went by private Corporation bus to the reception at Handsworth Daries, his Mother Mrs Stevenson RIP was the Caretaker of the dariy circa 1953?. Len

Last edited:
I lived at the top end of Sandwell rd in the 60's and I am sure the owners of the daires used to live on the opposite side of the rd from us, the were friends of my hubby's parents and we used to drink at the Garden Gate with their son Tim, but I cant just think of their last name. Was it Higgs???

Patty,

my wife says the family who owned Handsworth Dairies when she worked there was called White. We used the Garden Gate on occasion, too. Nice pub back then, haven't been in for years and years.

Dave Bath,

weird, but my wife doesn't recognise either of the two names you mention!!

Big Gee

My mother grew up in a house at 62 Island Road, Handsworth. My grandfather worked at The Carriage Words as a cabinet maker. Do you know if the houses are still there?

My mother grew up in a house at 62 Island Road, Handsworth. My grandfather worked at The Carriage Words as a cabinet maker. Do you know if the houses are still there?

Hi Have just joined again, and found your message. I lived in Lawnswood Grove from 1939 to 1958 which is opposite to No 62 Island Rd. what was your mothers name I may have known her. if you put no 62 Island Rd Handsworth Birmingham into google a picture of the road and house will come up. when I was little I could watch the milk being loaded onto the horse and carts from my bedroom window. I used to go round to the dairy shop and buy 6d of icecream in a cup. look forward to hearing from you. my name is Valerie

I was at school with Elizabeth White the daughter in 1947 to 1949 at woodville school Holyhead rd
valeriee brimmedvaleriee brimmed

Hi. Have loved reading all these. When I was little I could watch them unload the carts from my bedroom window.
I used to go to the shop and fetch 6d worth of ice cream.
Does anyone remember Beryl Stokes who. used to help with the horses in the 1950's she had her own horse as we'll kept in Park Lane. I was also at school with Elizabeth White.
Look forward to your replies.

Valeriee rummageValeriee rummage

Hi. I have just joined this forum and found this particular topic very relevant as my grandfathers cousins Carleton and Percy White founded Handsworth Dairies sometime between 1901 and 1911 when they moved from Charlton Kings, near Cheltenham to Handsworth with their older sister Jane.

Does anyone know the history of Handsworth Dairies, or if any of the family are still alive, such as Elizabeth White that Valerie mentioned? I have only managed to work down one more generation from from Carleton and Percy.

Looking forward to your replies

Chas

Back