• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Berners Street, Lozells

Lyn. In the second photo I can see how the house would have been. You are quite right, the house on the extreme left of the photo is grans old house.

There wasn't a front door as such, there was a covered entry which had a door at either end. The front of 215 seems to have been rebuilt, and where the entry was is now the front door, and the flat shop window has been replaced with a bay window, but that is definately grans house. Thank you.

Barrie.

thats great barrie i felt sure the numbering had not changed which means i can post a pic of no 179 where my gt gt grandmother lived in 1901..

oldend3004-1.jpg

Well done Lyn. Glad your G G Grandmother's house is still there. I didn't hold out too much hope for mine:)

Suzanne

most annoying suzanne but i thought the other side of the road had all gone...never mind we may well find some pics of it yet...

lyn

Let's hope so Lyn. Grandad was also at 5 back of 186 Berners Street in 1930 so if your relatives were at 179 I shall have to imagine the courts behind:)

Suzanne

suzanne its just become clear to me why your side of the road was demolished and my side not..if you look at mikes map on post 7 you can see that on your rellies side there was back houses with courts..they had to go...

That explains it then Lyn. I wondered why some of the houses had survived and the others replaced with new houses.

Thanks again
Suzanne

The house to the right of my grans house was where Margaret Banham lived. As a lad I really fancied Margaret, and when I went to work at Abbotts, blow me down if she didn't work there as well. Happy days.

Barrie

hey barrie all your secrets are coming out now lol...im still looking for hunters road pics for you..i have not forgotton..

lyn

That explains it then Lyn. I wondered why some of the houses had survived and the others replaced with new houses.

Thanks again
Suzanne

suzanne the houses that survived would have been built later than the ones on your rellies side of the street i would think...may be lucky one day and come accross some pics..

ever hopeful..

Paul
The basic maps are available from (at least) two sources. The old maps site ( https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html) has a selection over the whole country for various dates and scales, and it is possinle to buy hard copies, though they are not cheap. the Cassini maps site also offers this facility, though the resolution of the map on th ewebsite (as opposed to the purchased map) is poorer. Alan Godfrey ( https://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/ ) offer hard copies of maps at a much more reasonable price, and very good resolution ( the first map in this thread is a scan of one of theirs), though the range of dates and areas is more limited (though virtually all of Birmingham and the Black country is covered for at least one date, and a small but increasing number in colour). Alan godfrey maps also mostly have historical notes covering the area of the map on the back.

hi topsy think i may have seen the 2nd photo but not the first one...its a cracker thanks for posting them

lyn

I wonder if someone can help me out of my state of confusion.
As a child, I definitely lived in either Berners Street, or Wheeler Street around 1960. I have always carried this confusion around with me, but for some reason seem to remember that it was Berners.
As I remember, it was a long sloping road, and somewhere near the bottom of the road on the right was a small park. I see on modern maps that there is a small park situated thus on Wheeler Street, hence my confusion.
Does anyone remember a small park at the bottom of Berners Street at all.
I remember that we lived about half way down on the left, and that there was a shared toilet block and brewhouse, but that could have applied to either street I suppose.
The clincher would be the park.
Many thanks for looking.

uncle albert...berners st..wheeler st and burbury st all ended up by burbury st park which is the park you would remember...if you can give me your parents first and last name i could check the electoral rolls on ancestry for you...they only go up to the year 1955 on ancestry but some members do have access to 1960 and 66

lyn

That`s very kind of you Lyn. It would be great to know for sure.
My parents were called John and Barbara Plumb, but they weren`t married until 1956, and wouldn`t have been in the area before then.Unfortunately I think this may rule out your generous offer. 1960 may stand a good chance, but we had moved by 1966.
Thanks for responding and for trying to help.

Uncle albert, I think the modern map may be the cause of your confusion because from a map of 1956 Berners Street ran down the length of the park not Wheeler Street. Berner Street appears to have been shortened somewhat and the park possibly widened as far as I can see.. hope this helps

berner street then 1956.JPG berner street now.JPG

Wonderful lyn, I`ll keep my fingers crossed that I can re learn my old address, which thanks to lindyloo`s posting I am now sure was in Berners Street.
Spot on with the maps lindyloo. I think I can re-gather my marbles again. I seem to be getting more and more of these "elderly moments", but some of the most obscure things remain quite clear.
Thank you both again for your help.

Berner Street 2.jpguncle albert... you know when you were looking at the photos earlier of the lozells area well did you notice this one taken at the bottom end of berners st..you can clearly see a bit of the park and the railings surrounding it...

lyn

Last edited:
uncle albert we have a result...in 1962 john r plumb and barbara plumb living at 5/106 berners st..they are in tavistock road in 1965...so now we know for sure where you lived..many thanks to mikejee for looking up the later e rolls for me i have also asked him for a map pinpointing where your house was...hope this helps to fit a piece of the jigsaw for you..

lyn

lyn, I must have missed this picture earlier, but looking at it now gives me goosebumps. It`s just as I remember it ! Thank you so much for re-posting it for me.
I`m so grateful also for the confirmation via the e rolls too. Many thanks for taking the trouble, and thanks to your friend. I wonder if my childhood memory serves me well, and it was about half way down on the left. I do remember that the family living in the next house down were called Bailey. I remember their son Tommy pushed me over and broke my collar bone.
Thanks for the memories....

You're welcome uncle albert, glad to have been able to help..
Nice one lyn (Astoness) and mikejee !!

berners st showing 106.jpghi uncle albert...here is a map pinpointing no 106 in red...difficult to say which one at the back of this was no 5 where you lived but at least we have its location...if you click on the map 3 times it will enlarge...

lyn

That`s fantastic Lyn. To get to our door you had to go up the entry, with the house on your left, and we had the ground floor, and first floor. I remember my sister being born upstairs.
You`re quite right when you locate us at Tavistock Road in 1965. We were also at Stonebrook Avenue Weoley Castle before then, and Limekiln Lane Warstock shortly after. We moved around a lot when I was a kid, but my first memories are those at Berner`s Street. Thank you so much for helping to re-ignite them.
Thank you to everyone else who has helped too.
I`ve only been active on the forum for a couple of days, searching initially for any Plumb graves in Brum, but here on this thread, and also in the cemeteries sub-forum, people have bowled me over with their kindness and generous efforts to help.
There is such a profound sense of warmth here that I feel a definite glow. I`m so glad I joined.:encouragement:

View attachment 92080hi folks just to update this thread a bit as so many of us seem to have had rellies in this street at sometime..

posting 2 photos of the new inns pub...first one taken in 1904 second one taken prob in the 40s or 50s when the pub looks to be in a sorry state..

also many thanks to mike for supplying me with a map marking out no 186 where suzannes rellie lived..suzanne mike thinks 5 /186 was directly behind 186..also showing berners terrace for you..

my gt gt grandmother lived at no 179 on the 1901 census and that house is still standing..it was opposite the new inns pub so who knows maybe she nipped in there for a jug of ale...

lyn

Attachments

• Berners%20St%20drays%20copy.jpg
    Berners%20St%20drays%20copy.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back