• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Wood

Hi Jennie - post away as photographs always spark off comments and memories.

You are right - that's my mother's hand I recognise the watch. The baby is my little sister and I suspect mum was trying to get her to look at the camera. I can sort of remember this, but not as well as I remember the Coronation. That's me in the front showing my knickers (I promise you I don't do that these days!).

My auntie lives in Cleeve Road, they moved in there after the war and she still lives there now at the grand age of 90.
Sue

Hi John,
I dont suppose you have anymore photos do you? This shop was owned by my husbands grandfather who sold it to hayes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Happy Valley' I remember going there on our bikes, an having a trip in a canoe on the canal.

Nick

Nick if you search for Happy Valley you should find a number of posts about it. Here is the thread for "Happy Valley Pleasure Grounds".

I believe it was in Warstock not Yardley Wood though - I notice one site I found [that has photos of it] places the location incorrectly as where the Bus depot stands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no year given for the older photo but I wonder if the films listed on the poster would give us a clue. I wonder if the cinema advertised would've been the Tudor ?

One of the films on the poster looks like "Undercover Girl".
Having "Googled" it I see that the year of that movie was 1950.
(Not bad, I'd guessed that the photo was taken in the 40s !).

Hi Tommy - It is Denaby Grove off Ravenshill Road. Hopefully someone will recall memories. My first in laws lived at the opposite side of that development. Ravenshill was fun when affected by black ice.

hi..my mother in-law was in the billseley arcadians back in the late 40s early 50s..did you ever get any more information on them..her name was regina whittaker,also her sisters betty and joy..they lived in haven grove,yardleywood..if you have any info please let me know..many thanks.

Does anyone know Sandmere Grove? I don't know how old it is as roads go but I have relatives there. Love Shortie's photos.

Nico, Sandmere Grove is off Sandmere Road B14 If youy Google -"Sandmere Grove,Birmingham" you can take a walk down the street

I did Jennyann. thank you.They look like they could be well preserved 1940's houses maybe. I see it's between Maypole and Moseley. I have not been yet. My cousin used to be a Tricklebank but I don't know how long they have been there. The dad died young though but he was about 7 feet tall. I have a photo but I would't put it on.

The houses were built in the 1920's to 30's Nico. How do I know? Well my in laws lived further along in Riversdale Road and then moved to Riley Road. They spent the war years there. The houses in Riversdale and adjacent roads, were built for private letting and were owned originally by Bulpitts the owners of Swan Brand products. Interestingly the style was very similar to the municipal housing on the rest of the estate but I seem to recall the specification was slightly lower.

Location of Yardley Wood I would say as a local is more that it is bounded by Warstock/Hall Green/Shirley. After I left home the Birmingham district boundaries were tweaked and my parents old house was designated as being in Moseley but that was a couple of miles to the North.

They look good. Well maintained. They look like posh council houses. Cousins old me never to confuse Yardley with Yardley Wood. Strange how they tweak boundaries and some get swallowed up. When I tell people (Brummies) that I was born in Raddlebarn they look blank. Dad liked to buy Swan products as they were locally manufactured and good. Wasn't there a Billesley Manor? Don't know why I know that. Maybe they used to advertise.

The Billesly Manor you remember is probably the one out near Alcester not local to Brum. Not sure what is meant by the term posh but they are fairly standard design (for the period) Birmingham council houses as can be seen around Brum.

Yardley used to indeed stretch out to Yardley Wood. Here is a link to Bill Dargue's site with a description of Yardley. And another link to a Birmingham City site about the history of Yardley.

I used to classify and store lots of things at work so my brain is still full of 'stuff; still. Very interesting thanks on the Yardley history. As to posh Bernard, if you ever watched Mrs Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances. They filmed Onslow and Daisy's house on location in Stoke Aldermoor, in Coventry. They were/are pre war council houses and 'their' house was not posh.
So your Yardley Wood ones in comparison, are. Mrs Bucket's house was filmed in Binley Woods. Cov.

Thanks also for the link Bernard, I am now able to see where my birth family lived after I was born. Nostalgic for them as they are overseas I will send it on. Nico:encouragement:

I used to classify and store lots of things at work so my brain is still full of 'stuff; still. Very interesting thanks on the Yardley history. As to posh Bernard, if you ever watched Mrs Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances. They filmed Onslow and Daisy's house on location in Stoke Aldermoor, in Coventry. They were/are pre war council houses and 'their' house was not posh.
So your Yardley Wood ones in comparison, are. Mrs Bucket's house was filmed in Binley Woods. Cov.
Fascinating snippet of information - never knew that it was filmed in Cov. Worked at The Standard on The Fletch for nigh on 20 years.

i am trying to find some old memories for my mother in-law,her name is regina whittaker [maiden name] also sisters,linda,barbara,pat,betty and joy,she lived at haven grove off clifton road,yardley wood, back in the 40s to early 50s,she went to yardley wood secondary school [girls],and was also in the billesley arcadians.anyone with any info or photo's would be really appreciated..thanks

This thread is driving me potty!!!!!
There are so many bells ringing but I cannot pinpoint just where
they are. I am suffering from severe frustration. Think I need a
map???? Where would I find one please ??
Betty

Will this one do you Betty?

Yardley Wood Map.jpg

Note: This Map is dated 1949.

Worked at The Standard on The Fletch for nigh on 20 years.

Hi Bernard,

Did you know Bob Barrass by any chance? He came from Durham and worked at Standard for many years until he died of a heart attack several years ago. He was married to my wifes cousin Betty. We attended Bettys' funeral only yesterday.

I realise that this is off topic but it is the way the cookie crumbles.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Back