• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler Street lozells

great pic of charlie lee mike..now i wonder where he was in that pic...thanks for the other link will have a look in a bit...

lyn

Hi Lyn,The picture may have been taken in The Star & Garter on Gt Hampton Row as that was his favourite watering hole.moss

mike i was just thinking that its no wonder that the crowds got a tad hot under the collar waiting for charlie to open up and start giving free meat away...in those days something like that must have seemed like their their christmases had come all at once..as said earlier when i next visit our dad i will ask him what he recalls of it...

lyn

Assuming I've got the right event concerning the aforesaid butcher pools winner
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/joints-on-the-house/query/Birmingham

My great grandfather george arthur joyce was living at 1 back 20
wheeler Street in the 1890s he was a police constable

the photo of The Rose and Crown pub - the last house you can see at the end of the row is where I lived from 1959 till 1969- they knocked down the rest of the houses to build the Midland bank---

wow topsy what a great bit of history...crikey an oak bed..2 mattresses and pillows and a bolster for just under 6 quid..couldnt get a decent pillow for that these days lol...

lyn

charlie lee.jpg The crowd outside Charlie Lees butchers awaiting the arrivel of the pools winner.

Attachments

• charli lee.jpg
    charli lee.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 67
wow topsy what a great bit of history...crikey an oak bed..2 mattresses and pillows and a bolster for just under 6 quid..couldnt get a decent pillow for that these days lol...

lyn

If you notice that Mr.Taylor is registered as a piano and gramophone emporium rather than bedroom supplies outfitter.
Something to do with 'If music be the food of love........'?

(I daren't mention Mr.Taylor's other registered trading activities.....)

Does anyone remember Bert Steel who had a butchers shop in Wheeler St.? his wife managed it in the late 1940s and 1950s.Although I was his butcher's boy,at his other shop in Upper Sutton St.I used to run errands between the two shops.
Can't remember which corner it was on.
my grandad Bert had the butchers on wheeler street and my dad Darrell worked there.Sadly my dad has passed away but i shall ask my auntie and get back to you.My nan who managed the shop was called Marion.

what a shock.Bert was my grandad and his wife was Marion.My dad Darrel worked there too.Sadly my dad has passed away but i shall ask my aunt which corner the butchers was on.I was born in 4 back 54 wheeler street.

Darrel worked on the corner of Wheeler St and Bridge St West. My mom and Nan always got our meat from him, he was lovely ( I used to go there with my Mom). Meat was cheap in the 50's, Leg of Pork, Veal, Lamb, h bone of beef, tripe, liver kidneys. Funny how you can remember a name after 53 years.

I am 51 now so have no memory of wheeler street,as we moved when i was a toddler but still have family in Birmingham.Yes Darrel was a lovely man,the best.

Hi everyone. My dad was born at the Dudley St hospital in 1943 under sad circumstances as his mother had to give him up to be adopted. the reason for this is his father was Indian. It must have be shocking in the day to have a child out of wedlock which was considered bad enough but to have one with an 'alien' father, as they were called, must have been a double shocker. Anyway, they were together as a family for a time at an address on Wheeler St, no 294. We never knew his dad's side of the family and mostly it wasn't discussed on his mothers side. We are trying to do some research so i would love to hear any comments people may have,. We have only scant information taken from my dad's birth certificate. The other thing was, his mothers occupation was listed as Spring Works Storekeeper. I wonder if this was a store called by the same name locally?, a factory that made springs etc no leads on that so far but these were the war years so many factories did many different things for the war effort. We believe they met at work so hoping to find them both and place them in the same place, but at the moment only have an address. we met dad's mother before she died but would like to track his fathers side of things. I am guessing a 20 year old woman with a baby would be unlikely to be able to go out and rent herself and her baby a flat or something in the 1940's, so any rental records i think would have to have been in his name, which we don't have fully, only a nikc name from an ailing aunt! We also don't live near so we don't even know if the flat/house still exists. Any help/memories would be very much appreciated.

The 1943 Kellys does list :
Springs A. P. Ltd. spring mfrs. Reddings la. Greet 11.T A " Arpen, B'ham; " Acock's Green 2236 & 2237, though this is a bit far from Wheeler St, but I gather it was not uncommon for people to have to travel a fair distance to work in the war. No 294 is shown in red on the map below of the top of wheeler st around 1938. It is demolished now and , on Google seems to be a bit of waste ground between the road an a football pitch

map_c_1938_top_Wheeler_st_showing_no_294.jpg

wow thank you mikejee. Do you know if 294 was near any shops, it looks like about half way up. There may be old pics of shops showing houses too that i could look at...certainly seems like a thriving street. I expect after my nan had my dad she didn't return to work. I don't know where she lived before she had him but later he remembers staying at his grans in Saltley when he was about 3. I wonder if they were renting privately or today's equivalent of state housing. I will look into the Sring works, see if i can track down employees, thanks.

The 1943 Kellys does list :
Springs A. P. Ltd. spring mfrs. Reddings la. Greet 11.T A " Arpen, B'ham; " Acock's Green 2236 & 2237, though this is a bit far from Wheeler St, but I gather it was not uncommon for people to have to travel a fair distance to work in the war. No 294 is shown in red on the map below of the top of wheeler st around 1938. It is demolished now and , on Google seems to be a bit of waste ground between the road an a football pitch

map_c_1938_top_Wheeler_st_showing_no_294.jpg

Back