• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Logging in, logging off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen0002002

master brummie
Sorry to raise a negative thread in this brilliant forum and apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

But the site log's you out automaticaly now very quickly - so by the time you've caught up and read a thread and replied - the system has logged you out - and you loose what you wrote, so each time you are having to sign in again and again. Ive just been on 30 mins and had to log in about 10 times. And its even logged me out while writing this.

Could I please respectfully request that someone would raise this issue because it is upseting an otherwise brilliant site.

Sorry to raise a negative thread in this brilliant forum and apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

But the site log's you out automaticaly now very quickly - so by the time you've caught up and read a thread and replied - the system has logged you out - and you loose what you wrote, so each time you are having to sign in again and again. Ive just been on 30 mins and had to log in about 10 times. And its even logged me out while writing this.

Could I please respectfully request that someone would raise this issue because it is upseting an otherwise brilliant site.

For me, if I tick/cross the 'remember me box' when logging in, then it does keep you logged in much longer than if you don't, certainly long enough to reply, tho' I've never checked how long one actually stays logged in!

I'm on an ipad and been on 15 mins while I've looked at other stuff and it's still going. Maybe if you touch the forum outside the edit box occasionally it will keep you on. I always log off when I'm finished.
ps. If you are on a laptop click on the forum outside the edit box occasionally while you are typing and it will keep you on.

pps. I've now been on 30 mins, maybe iPads have special privileges..:friendly_wink:

I've just tried this test with my laptop taking more than 15 minutes to type this one character every now and then and it has apparently submitted, but occasionally I clicked the forum outside the edit box which seems to keep me in touch with the forum, unless something else is keeping me in touch. I've never ever clicked 'remember me'.

Warren has run checks at this end and there are no problems so it seems its at the members end, he suggests refreshing cookies etc.
Thanks

Try what I suggested earlier. When you are typing in the edit box or anything else you might be doing there, occasionally click on the forum page outside the edit box. This refreshes the cookie which keep you logged in.
This post was typed in 'Notes' on an iPad, copied and pasted into the edit box. It seems to be the settings in our computers, I tried tests earlier, my iPad stayed logged on for 30 mins and Windows for at least 15 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would appear that 46 members have viewed this thread and only a handful of members have reported any problems so it's not affecting everyone, as Jim suggests it must be down to members computer settings.

Colin

Colin, Something I have always wondered about, perhaps you have the answer. Is it 46 members that have viewed the thread or could it be 23 members that has viewed it twice? I think I have looked at it 3 times.

Terry

Tried a test this morning in my iPad and in Windows, I logged in and while logged in I cleared the cookies. The result was an immediate log out even though the forum was on screen. It could be that some computers hang on to cookies longer than others.

Re: Problems getting & staying on Forum???

Hi Betty - I don't know about your log in problem but an easy method of quickly posting a longish message can be seen in a forum post here.
oldmohawk

Every now and then I have to re log on, presumed this was a normal security measure, the same happens on my BT email which they say is a security precaution. Eric

Thanks, oldMohawk. Sounds as though checking the Remember Me box could be the answer to some members' problems re automatic logging out. After doing that, those members will also find themselves automatically logged in as well, whenever they next visit. A real pain, I should have thought, having to put in your details each time, whenever you want to do anything within the Forum, rather than just read.

Or is there still a flaw in this? Does any member who gets logged on automatically STILL have the problem of being logged out after a while?

Chris

Hi Chris - I had never ever clicked the 'Remember Me' until yesterday ! I think some of the problems arise because we all use different computers and different browsers and our set-ups vary. Even though I have checked the 'RM' box I find I am not automatically logged in on the next visit but that is because my Chrome browser is set to always clear the cookies etc when I close it. I suppose I'm old fashioned and prefer to log in and out myself.
oldmohawk

I have always used the remember me box ever since joining the forum, I have never been logged out. Perhaps because I tend to look in at least once every day. The only time I get logged out is when I clean out my browser cache and the sites cookies are removed. I do this about once a week. Even then I can choose to not have the cookies for this site removed along with the rest if I so wish.

Last night I spent a couple of hours (and a couple of beers) with a friend who's an IT Systems Manager hoping to get a final answer on this forum problem, and find OldMohawk just beat me, the problems is defiantly down to cookies, operating systems and computer settings. I intend to produce a post which in layman's terms will explain all the different reasons why this happens.

Colin

I have always used the remember me box ever since joining the forum, I have never been logged out. Perhaps because I tend to look in at least once every day. The only time I get logged out is when I clean out my browser cache and the sites cookies are removed. I do this about once a week. Even then I can choose to not have the cookies for this site removed along with the rest if I so wish.
Hi Phil - If you are never logged out what happens if you log in from another computer while you are still logged in from the first computer. Although I have a Windows laptop and desktop computer in the house, I mainly use an iPad and log into the forum from that - don't know what would happen if I logged in from the iPad if I was permanently logged-in on a Windows computer ... I'll have to test it some time ! ..:friendly_wink:

Not sure if this has any connection to other people's problems. Hav enever had any trouble ever before, but a couple of days ago i foun that, although 'inhad thye "always stay on" button ticked, every time I came back i had to log in. Not a problem, but then today when I tried to log on It told me I couldn't log on unless I accepted cookies, but there was nowhere to accept them. First time I then tried again and got on, but found that if I ticked the box saying "always stay on", then I got the message about cookies again, but if I didn't tick it then got on OK !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back