• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

Obviously this was many years ago. Yes, Matt and Pearl moved to Cannock. My mom and dad bought a house in the same road as them and my mom still lives there today. I grew up with Matt and Pearls son's, Paul, Ian, Neal and Mathew. Matt sadly dies about 5 years ago and Pearl now lives in a residential home as she has become too frail - their house was only sold last year. June's mom was Lottie Vaux (nee Warrillow) and my nan's name was Doris Webster (nee Warrillow). Lottie and Bernard Vaux did move to Cotterills lane and that is where Joy was born. Joy ended up living in the same road as Pearl and myself with her first husband. I was extremely fond of Joy until we lost touch many years ago. I knew Roy quite well for a short few years and he was a great guy to know. Sadly, he died 2 years ago.

I note that you lived in Burlington Street. Do you have any photos of the street and of the school? My dad (Ronald Webster - born 1940) went there as a lad.

Carl

hi carl..pretty sure that your pic 1 on post 79 is showing the corner of potters lane on the left...if you zoom in and compere that pic with pic 4 of potters lane looking towards the bartons you can see that both buildings on the corner are the same.so are the windows entry and doors and the 2 bill boards are in exactly the same place on both pics...

lyn

hi carl..pretty sure that your pic 1 on post 79 is showing the corner of potters lane on the left...if you zoom in and compere that pic with pic 4 of potters lane looking towards the bartons you can see that both buildings on the corner are the same.so are the windows entry and doors and the 2 bill boards are in exactly the same place on both pics...

lyn

You are absolutely right. Brilliant detective work. Would that make the property on the corner the Shareholders Arms?

happy to help carl...would need a kellys look up as im not sure where the original shareholders was located and ive never seen a photo of it..are you thinking it was on the corner by the bus stop and cars in pic 1 post 79??..if mikejee sees this post he maybe able to help us..

happy to help carl...would need a kellys look up as im not sure where the original shareholders was located and ive never seen a photo of it..are you thinking it was on the corner by the bus stop and cars in pic post 79??..if mikejee sees this post he maybe able to help us..here is a pic of burlington st school..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
happy to help carl...would need a kellys look up as im not sure where the original shareholders was located and ive never seen a photo of it..are you thinking it was on the corner by the bus stop and cars in pic 1 post 79??..if mikejee sees this post he maybe able to help us..

here is a picture looking back (I think anyway) from the same corner - which show the Shareholders Arms/Pub at the top of Potters Hill looking down Park Lane (High Street behind us. Picture is from 1969 I believe and clearly the Shareholders has had some modernisation work done to the outside!

Park Lane 024.jpg

Here is the shareholders arms in red

map_c_1889_showing_shareholders_arms__Park_lane.jpg

Thank you for confirmation. Out of interest how is it possible to obtain images like this from, I believe, 1889? Is there a site to subscribe to? Carl

carl your pic on post 86 is indeed the shareholders pub but its not the original one...my understanding is that it was demolished and the one in your pic was built to replace the original but i dont know if it was on the same spot...oh did you see the pic of burlington st school i posted for you..post 85...thanks for the map mike...

lyn

Last edited:
To my knowledge the Shareholders stands on the same spot as it always have, I believe in the very early 60's the outside was revamped , I do not think it was knocked down and rebuilt, but I cannot say for certain it wasn't, I am surprised that it wasn't taken down when everything else around it was........

Carl...ref post number 79, the photo with the arrow, number 38 was on the other side of the road, the side showing the arrow was odd numbers ....

Thank you for the picture of Burlington School. I have a copy of this and it is an excellent shot. Are there any more pictures of the school out there I wonder? I also have an interest in pictures of Mansfield Road - although this seems even rarer.

Carl

Hi Carl, yes it was in the late 50s and early 60s when we were friendly with Pearl, Matty and Roy. So sorry to hear that Matt has died and that Pearl is now very frail, they were a few years older than me. Time takes its toll unfortunately.

H I Aston lad
orinionaly the small pub was across the road on park lane then they dunaway with it but the built the share holders across the rd
more or less oppersite on the corner of potters hill and barton hill ; the share holders was a small pub when they built it but later in the sixties the rebuilt a larger front moderised it up with large windows and doors and built the extention into a smoke room down the side entrance
on the barton side ; we used to go in there on a sunday lunch time in the sixties and before in the bar for domines and when the smoke room or lounge you want to call it afew of us from midland counties milk men used to play cards for money there was the twins o cathrine street and wainwright street
i lived on the lichfield rd tony jones was my brother inlaw whom became a market trader down the bull ring until he died about ten years ago
whilst i am on here just want to say hello to my oyther dear friend sylvia for the picture of park lane by the cross as it shows a van being loaded that was my grand fathers van and him loading his crockery hire into his van; all the white bits walls you see are also his thre bussiness one one the chippy and the other end of the wall was is boarders rooms and the coffee shop down below and in between was two big huge gateswhere is office and house and a to story ware house for all the proisions of food for all ther out lets hich in detail up to the thirties and fities was thirty three shops incidently he owned the chippienext to the old billard hall as wellwhich was facing the other one that was by his van; but he sols the one next to the billaird hall to little cyri alittle guy i aways waived acros to each other
specialy friday nights and saturdays grand fathers chippie you could eat your fish and chips at a couple of tables he had we was taken down by mother for our teas on saturday nights after the rush ; have your srelf a good day aston lad best wishes Astonian;;;;;;;;

Hi Astonian

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the location of the Shareholders, to my knowledge there wasn't another pub across the road in ParkLane apart from the Black Horse which is just a little further down, there was another two which were a bit of a distance down the lane...... number 25 Parklane from at least 1908 as been the Shareholders Arms, I am not saying that it wasn't knocked down and rebuilt, but I am saying that it has stood on that footprint from whenever it was built...

here is a close up shot of the original shareholders pub corner of park lane and potters lane which was completely demolished and another one built ...if you go to post 79 pic 1 you can see the pub in the distance on the left hand corner
lyn

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn....when was it rebuilt ?, I can only ever remember the frontage being updated and the outdoor added in the early 1960's, I am too young to remember anything before that date.....:)

Back