• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

Carl as Lyn said no need for apologies - just glad to have the photos.

Bernard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

wonderful pics carl thanks for sharing them with us....maybe one day that lad in one of the photos will come forward...

look forward to seeing more when time permits...ps i agree with you about the blocks of flats they are proper eye sores...

lyn

Carl and all, Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photo's. I have never seen the Park Lane looking just like I remember it. I often thought of taking up drawing lessons to try and capture my memory of the old street but you lot have brought it to life again today. See Dr O Massey's surgery in the photo. He was our family doctor in Aston and later he and his son Paul was our family doctor up to the 1970's. Paul became the physio for the villa team I heard. He was also the company doctor for the Birmingham Post & Mail Group. Dr Ogilivy's practice moved to Hawthorn Rd Erdington / Kingstanding border when Park Lane was knocked down.
Your photos show my old house No 100 its the one where the person is sitting on the step i think? Everything looks smaller though. As a kid Park lane seemed to go on forever. Of course there were so many more houses up the entry's. Up to 5 or 6 houses were set at right angles to the street and went up the hill till they backed on to the yards in the next street. I knew the Pinkertons especially Wendy. She was a friend of my friend Patsy. Wendy and Patsy were a couple of years older than me but that was very important when your 9 and they were 12 or so.

Just a quick reply to post No 14, the photo taken from the top of Park Lane with Dr Massey on the corner of Whitehead Road, was taken around 1935, due to the advertisement for the Orient ...Dr Socrates ... which was released in 1935......Not seen that photo before, nor the one showing the corner of Potters Hill and Park Lane, the others I have, posted some myself, but it always better to have more than one copy......Kath I must have walked pass your house 1000's of times during my time living in that area, what school did you attend ?, Wendy was a year or two older than me as well, so if you attended Burlington Street we may have been in the same year .....

Carl thanks for posting and evoking happy memories of Park Lane. The vacant site on the corner of Park Lane and Potters Hill was thanks to Herr Hitler. It was always a bomb site when I was growing up. I don't know whether there was just one raid on Park Lane but there was a lot of damage from Aston Cross right up to Potters Hill. The church corner of Yates/Thomas Street was badly damaged, and opposite in Thomas Street a lot of houses were flattened, then further up Park Lane just before Sutton Street, there was another bomb site, shops were destroyed and a vivid memory for me was the butchers shop still standing but derelict with the tiles still on the inside walls with insets of lambs, cattle and pigs, it wasn't cleared until I was an adult probably late 50s. Further up almost facing Barton Street was an entry leading up to back houses they backed onto Tower Road, I had a friend June Vaux who lived at the very top of that entry but it was a big bomb site in front of their house.

Here are some more photo's of Park Lane given to me by John Houghton and others whom I cannot recall (sorry).....they are taken at different era's and shows almost the complete lane itself......

Park Lane Garage Aston 31-7-1950z.jpg773698_10151420221113377_1372498769_o.jpg774936_10151420224083377_21367674_o.jpg740032_10151420217488377_1357017179_o.jpg774674_10151420223543377_273568057_o.jpg

Brilliant! the last pics post 71 they looked proper tidy sturdy houses, typical Brum character.

Wow Sylvia. June Vaux is my cousin (as are all the Vaux family of course). June's mom was my nan's sister. It has been quite a few years since I was in contact with them but you may remember her older sister Pearl, younger sister Joy maybe? her brother Roy.....If you want anymore information please ask. Carl

Park Lane 012.jpgThe caption I obtained with this image says that the arrow is pointing at number 38 Park Lane but I' not sure about this. Does anyone know the road further down on the left in the picture?
Park Lane 020.jpgA really old one this - this shows the old turnpike at Aston Cross looking up Park Hall Lane later to be called Park Lane. The photo shows the gate across Park Lane at the time when the walls surrounding the grounds of Aston Hall adjoined Park Lane. The gates were removed about 1862 when the name Aston Cross was generally adopted.
Park Lane 021 Potters Lane.jpg1902 - although not Park Lane I love this picture. It shows High Street to the left and Potters Lane to the right - which of course leads to Park Lane itself.
Park Lane 022 Potters Lane 3-10-1969.jpgThis is Potters Lane looking down towards the back of the Barton's Arms (3-10-1969)
Park Lane 023 Black Horse Pub.jpgThe Black Horse Pub - Park Lane

Carl, it's a small world isn't it? I don't remember the younger sister Joy, but remember Pearl who married Matty Morris out of Parliament Street, my ex husband and I were friendly with them when we were young, they had a little back house up that entry then moved out to Cannock I think. Also my husband was a big friend of Roy he had a large old Rolls Royce I think it was and we went out in at a few times, and he was often at our house in Burlington Street, I know the Vaux family went to live in either Burney Lane or Cotterills Lane, Stechford. BTW thank you and John Colin for the photos of Park Lane.

Back