• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

Image623.jpg

wonderful pic tospsy...great to see HP in it...topsy could you keep yours eyes open for any of potters hill please...

thanks

lyn

Hi All,

It is no secret that I am a retired police officer. Whenever I see Park Lane mentioned it reminds me of an incident in Park Lane which I think I will now share. It is absolutely true

It was about 2.30am and I was walking my beat down Park Lane when suddenly the quiet of the night was disturbed by shouts for help from one of the back houses. I went up the entry and saw a woman and her son and daughter shouting from an upstairs window. I also saw immediately that the house was on fire downstairs and it was too dangerous to enter. Knowing that a ladder was kept in the next entry I went to collect it after asking a neighbour to ring 999 for the Fire Brigade from the telephone box near Aston Cross. (This was before the police carried radios)

I placed the ladder in position and climbed up to help the young lady down. I returned and helped the young man down. I then went back for the mother who was holding a mongrel dog. She refused to come down without the dog (who had alerted them to the fire by barking downstairs) I had no option but to carry the dog down before going back to help the mother.

The Fire Brigade arrived and extinguished the blaze but the house was uninhabitable. Neighbours looked after the family until they could be rehoused the next day. A couple of days later the Chief Superintendent sent for me. He said, "That was good work you did the other night Beresford but I cannot recommend you for an award as you never put yourself into danger. You did not rnter the burning building" I replied "That is true gaffer but have you ever been licked by a grateful dog whilst climbing down a rickety ladder?" I still did not get an award.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Last edited:
Great story Chris...nowadays a policeman doing such a brave act,would be cautioned, for putting himself at risk...and not being "ladder trained".

wonderful story chris well done you...i know its a bit late but here is your much deserved award for bravery..

lyn

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story Chris well done you. I wonder if neigbours today would look after a family who had lost their house....mmmm

Hi All.

In my account of that night I was not trying to suggest that what I did was brave. The Chief Superintendent was right. He laughed when I told him about the grateful dog. I was simply trying to amuse you folk and adding a little history of Park Lane Nevertheless, Lyn. I will treasure my award and, Wendy, I hope that there is still a little goodwill left in the world.

Chris Beresford

Thank God for the family that you were walking your Beat that night Chris. Your Superintendent must have been Barking mad (lol) not to give you an award for this act of bravery. You could have also been bitten by dog but thankfully they all ended safe thanks to you.

Well done Chris and what a great story. Beyond the line of duty I would say!. Never could remember the person you were on about that lived above the paper shop by the park I am afraid. Jean.

Its been fascinating reading this thread, my grandfather and great grandfather, Joseph & Henry Underhill (with other family members) lived at 142 Park Lane in 1891 and I believe there were other Underhill's living at various houses in Park Lane throughout the years.

Hello to all you old Park Laners and their off spring. So happy to see your photos. I lived a 100 in 1960's that was right opposite LLoyds Garage. As a kid, I remember Mr Lloyd as a kind gentleman. (Not that we had a car). We had homemade 'mokes' and skate boards and flew down the entry's into Park Lane making a sharp turn as you immerged into the daylight of the street. October mornings when the air is misty always reminds me of walking to school ( St Chads Catholic School in Newtown and City centre.). Your old photos capture the atmosphere to a 'T'. thanks again x

Re: Park Lane, Aston

It's been a while since I uploaded any images on here so bear with me if I get it wrong....

The photo is of Park Lane taken on the 29-9-1952 looking in the directionPark Lane 29-9-52.jpg of the Bartons Arms

Re: Park Lane, Aston

Here is another one! This picture taken September 1969 this is the
same view as previous – just slightly further up. Dad’s alley is just visible on
the far right of the picture. The whole road had only months left before it was
bull dozed to the ground…
I wonder who the boy is on the left of the picture?

Park Lane September 1969.jpg The previous picture was taken on a Monday if the date is correct, so presumably dad was at school! It’s hard to imagine the picture was taken when dad was 12.

Hi Kathleen......I lived just around the corner from Park Lane in Clarendon Street, it was the street facing the big Policeman feet on the shoe menders wall which was further down the lane from where you lived, my best friend lived facing Lloyds Garage during the 1960's as well, number 92, Steven Pinkerton, do you recall them....Alan the eldest sadly no longer with us, Wendy, Steven and then Julie....I was born and bred in that part of Aston and I miss it badly at times, looking back at those days now they were great, but didn't feel great at the time.....a good web site to visit is www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk .....

great pics of park lane carl...thanks for posting them

lyn
Sorry if I caused confusion with 2 threads of Park Lane....

What with the loss of many pictures due to the hacking I am going to post all my Park Lane pictures on here. Hopefully people will enjoy those not seen before (although I'm sure they will have). It would also be nice for those who remember Park Lane to share all of their memories. Here goes then....Park Lane 001.jpgPark Lane 002.jpgPark Lane 003 8-8-1969.jpgThe first picture is quite common I believe - top of Park Lane looking towards the High St. The second picture shows the same right hand corner in the 50s or 60s and the third picture is the same corner again, with the camera angled further to the right - looking up Potters Hill from Park Lane - taken 8th August 1069.

hi carl please dont apologise as sometimes we do have more than one thread for the same location...we have quite a few members who lived in park lane and many more of us who remember it so please keep on posting your photos as they will bring back so many memories to us and dont worry if they may have been posted before as its far better to have them twice that not at all...pic 1 i have seen before..not too sure about pic 2 until i check my files and pic 3 i definately have not seen before..wonderful...

lyn

hi carl please dont apologise as sometimes we do have more than one thread for the same location...we have quite a few members who lived in park lane and many more of us who remember it so please keep on posting your photos as they will bring back so many memories to us and dont worry if they may have been posted before as its far better to have them twice that not at all...pic 1 i have seen before..not too sure about pic 2 until i check my files and pic 3 i definately have not seen before..wonderful...

lyn

OK - here are some more!
Park Lane 005 8-9-1969.jpgThe photo to the left was taken on 8[SUP]th [/SUP]September 1969. Number 2 Potter’s Hill has been demolished
(when?) - but surrounding houses are still almost identical to 50 years earlier. My interest in this corner plot is that it used to be a butchers and my great grandfather (Joseph Webster) was the butcher there in 1901. Notice the block of flats in the background – a terrible sign of things to come…

Park Lane 004.jpgPark Lane 006 21-8-1957.jpgPark Lane 008.jpg

Next picture is looking down Park Lane in the 1920’s (with the butcher’s shop behind the camera to the left). Although 20 years before my dad’s birth his house would be about 250-300 yards on the left (lost in the smog!)

The middle picture was 'apparently' taken on the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] August 1957 and shows Potters Hill of to the left and looking down Park Lane to the right – dad’s house would have been 400-500 yards on the left.

Third picture (High Street and the Barton’s Arms behind us) – my dad’s entry to house on the left - just where the row of houses sit back (the outdoor just visible) – taken in the 1950s

More will follow next week.............

Back