• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A B row Aston-Birmingham

Rupert

I haven't got a date, but it doesn't look long after the trams stopped running, it's certainly after the war because if you look down the left hand side of the fork to Ashted Row, Holbrooks has gone and it looks like J Saville Gordon has already moved into the old Gosta Green Market and I don't think that happened much before the early 60's.

I'm still at a loss where this park was, perhaps someone could indicate it's location on this map.

Attachments

• C1902.jpg
    C1902.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 64
It was between duke Street and Brueton Street. as far as I know there was no entrance and no exit, just a tiny piece of grass fenced off with metal railings. no one ever went in there. I passed it every day on my from Curzon Street over Coleshill Street on the way to Bishop Ryder School in Gem Street

Good news Guilbert53 About the Moby Dick (was Eagle&Ball) do you know whats happening to the Lock Keepers house just up the road?

As far as I know the lock keepers cottage is staying.

There are plans to built some buildings (office or flats cant remember) around there, alongside the ring road and near the canal.

The site near AB Row and Belmont Row Works will be the next part of the Birmingham City University Eastside Campus

Seen from Jennens Road in August 2013.

Interesting stuff here.

This from my ever expanding pile of references for the area, firstly from William Hutton's Perambulations:

"We now cross the Lichfield road, down Duke-street, then the Coleshill road at the A B house. From thence down the meadows, to Cooper's mill; up the river to the foot of Deritend bridge; and then turn sharp to the right, keeping the course of a drain in the form of a sickle, through John a Dean's hole, into Digbeth"

(
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/13926/13926-h/13926-h.htm)

His route around Brum largely following the then Birmingham boundary.

This allegedly from Pevsner:

"1675, Of about that date were A-B House (Aston and Birmingham) beside the bridge, raised on piles above the floods, and two Dutch-gabled houses:"

The latter referring to Cooper's Farm and Ravenhurst House

Phil, just had a rethink and asked Mom about the smallest park, after looking at the map again and remembering my walk to school, , I used to come up Princess street and the grass was to the left of Duke Street, not down toward Brueton Street, as I said it was in the last Post.

I'm sorry St evenlucy, but I still can't remember it. So you are saying it was on Prospect Row then, well these are all the photos I have of that road and I don't see it on any of them. Could it just have been a bomb site that was left or grassed over? Or was it an official City of Birmingham Park?

Attachments

• Nechells Prospect Row.JPG
    Nechells Prospect Row.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Coleshill St - Prospect Row 1940.jpg
    Coleshill St - Prospect Row 1940.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 59
  • Coleshill St 1914.jpg
    Coleshill St 1914.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 55
  • s.jpg
    s.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 52
Heres an overhead shot 1945 I can't see a park anywhere.

A B Row 1945.jpg

forget the roads names on the overlay they are running out of line.

Love these pictures. on the third one, if middle right is Princess Street, the shoe repairers was on the corner and on the opposite side would be Duke street with a wool shop on the corner, then where the bay window juts out, could that be low wall with metal railings round the small piece of grass, ( next to Venns junk shop) that we were always told was the smallest Park in Brum. I vaguely remember an article about it in a local paper possibly the Mercury. Wish we could clarify this , maybe Brumgums Dad will remember more about it. I hope so .

Love these pictures. on the third one, if middle right is Princess Street, the shoe repairers was on the corner and on the opposite side would be Duke street with a wool shop on the corner, then where the bay window juts out, could that be low wall with metal railings round the small piece of grass, ( next to Venns junk shop) that we were always told was the smallest Park in Brum. I vaguely remember an article about it in a local paper possibly the Mercury. Wish we could clarify this , maybe Brumgums Dad will remember more about it. I hope so .

Dad says the wool shop was Dixons and Sadlers was the shoe repairs and the park was as you say at the start of AB row next to the junk shop.

Thanks brumgum, I feel a bit better now I know I'm not imagining it. Best wishes to your Dad. Saw uncle Maurice today and Doug goes to see him every Saturday and a few of them play cards.

Hi Phil. The smallest park was as st. evenlucy described,next to Venn's,Re:- your reply No.58 map.Past Duke St.,after the second house.

These photo's were on here before but have not seen them lately. Anyway one shows the plaque but am not able to determine which corner house it is. One picture shows the opposite side of Coleshill St. or whatever it is. I think the plaque must be on the east corner of Princess St., that seems to be where the boundary line is. Actually. if you follow the boundary line, it seems to meander all over the place and suggest that it follows leats and tailraces of old mills; and rivers. I think that was the procedure. Maybe more permanent markers than anything else. Sad to see it all wiped clean is it not. Just old worn out buildings but they anchored our lives for many years. Now just the plaque remaining and the little girls would be about 88 now.

Attachments

• A B Row.jpg
    A B Row.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 54
  • A%20B%20Row%20(2)_.jpg
    A%20B%20Row%20(2)_.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Image8__A_B_Row_1932_Marking_Boundrary.jpg
    Image8__A_B_Row_1932_Marking_Boundrary.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 53

Dad sends his regards to all the Alberici clan and went on to say it was Princes's Row and not Princess Street!

Re: AB Row

brumgum,

See the map post #63 It was Prince's St from Hicks Square until Prince's St did a left turn up toward Prospect Row. The road then continued on as Prince's Row to Howe St.

Re: AB Row

brumgum,

See the map post #63 It was Prince's St from Hicks Square until Prince's St did a left turn up toward Prospect Row. The road then continued on as Prince's Row to Howe St.
Oh yes, must have confused the postman a bit!.

Back