• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My granddad's, John Sheldon, birth certificate.

Graham

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
In the past I’ve had great help from forum members in finding my past family, especially when I went on a quest to find my long lost half brothers. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10357&highlight=long+lost+half+brothers

Now from the Birmingham Council Register Office I’ve bought quite a few birth certificates and marriage licences. But even with the help of John Yates I can’t get hold of my granddad’s John Sheldon, birth certificate. It is possible that he was born outside of
Birmingham and John Yates advises me to use UK Document Services. All well and good but they need a birth date and all I have to go on is his 25 November, 1905, marriage licence that states that he was then 23 years old making his birth year 1882, and his father was a Joseph Sheldon. Some time ago forum members posted that his father, Joseph Sheldon, was born in 1841 and that the wife of Joseph was a Jane, no maiden name, born 1845. But I’m not sure of his parent’s names John Yates can’t find a John Sheldon with these parent’s names.

My granddad, John Sheldon, died in WW I and no one in the family knows anything about him and I would also like to get hold of a copy of his death certificate but I think I need to know his birth date and place before I can go on with this request.
Can anyone help me please? Thanks, Graham.

there are army records for a john sheldon dated 15 jul 1902 when he was recorded as being aged 18 yrs and 11 months.

kings royal rifles. no. 4581 born walsall, staffs

says his father is joseph of 39 little london, walsall staffs. and brothers joseph, mathew and alfred.

marriage to florence helen butler on 26 nov 1905 st. gabriels, bham. and children elizabeth , florence may, lily, dorothy rose, and beatrice mary jane. inc, their birthdates.

this soldier did die in the war.

There is a Joseph (aged 50)and Jane Sheldon(aged 46) with a son,John aged 9 living at 29 Langley Green Rd in 1891.
Other children are William 21, Joseph 15, Thomas 13 and Harriet aged 6.The younger children were born Langley Green which may have come under West Bromwich Registration district?
Joseph and Jane are still at 29 Langley Green Rd in 1911 and state they have been married 44 years.
Joseph Sheldon may have married Jane Markwick Sept 1867 Dudley 6C 79 ?
There is a birth of a John Sheldon registered in June 1882 West Bromwich 6b 821

in 1901 census at 29 langley green rd. oldbury, worc

joseph sheldon 60 labourer at chemical works b. oldbury worc
jane sheldon 56 b. oldbury
joseph e 25, samuel 13, arthur 9. and john sheldon 18 colliery stoker. b. oldbury, worc

Shera, that looks just about spot on as after long searching I did find John had died a POW at Hamburg in December 1918. https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/902646/SHELDON, J And if you saw my posting on St Gabriel's Church you'll see that the marriage on 26 Nov to florence is spot on too, Lily Sheldon was my mother born 17 Sept 1910 at Greet.

Thanks to Ladylinda that all looks right and I'll work out his birth date from that and I'm now sure of his parent's names so that I can ask for a birth cert copy at UK Document Services.

Many thanks, Graham.

Hello Graham, It appears by your post that we are cousins. My G. Grandparents are Joseph and Jane Markwick. My Grandfather is Arthur and the brother of John. Please feel free to contact me, we can share info. I have photos of Joseph and Jane to share.
Cheers,
Darrell Sheldon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Graham, attached (hopefully) are pictures of Joseph Sheldon and Jane Markwick Sheldon. I have been struggling to piece together My SHeldon family tree for nearly 10 years, I've made some headway-it has been easier to trace the Markwick side -that I have some going back to the 1400's. I'll take any help you have on the Sheldons that you find-I can also maybe fill in some of your blanks as well. Of course any documentation is welcome too. So you are a 'Webb"? I work with two Webb's here one who came here from england- you'll have to give me details on that side as well.Joseph Sheldon pic.jpgJane Markwick Sheldon pic.jpg

hi sheldon
Would you know whether or not you had relatives living in aston ; [ lichfield rd in fact ;we lived in cromwell terace next to thompsons; the pork butchers i cannot remember the two girls name they had ;
but mr sheldon organised the queens coronation along with the cradocks in 1953
they organised gifts for every body and the street party on lichfield rd
and they lived next door to the seabournes
I was wondeing whether or not they are part of your tree the name harriot sounded posh to me as i think one was called that and the other girl i cannot think of her name , but in general they was a posh family considering the rest of the familys up the top of the terrace ; just a thought
best wishes Astonian;

Astonian, I don't think that the Sheldon family you mention are on my family tree, it seems to be quite a frequent name. Maybe more luck with Darrell, Graham.

Hey Graham, attached (hopefully) are pictures of Joseph Sheldon and Jane Markwick Sheldon. I have been struggling to piece together My SHeldon family tree for nearly 10 years, I've made some headway-it has been easier to trace the Markwick side -that I have some going back to the 1400's. I'll take any help you have on the Sheldons that you find-I can also maybe fill in some of your blanks as well. Of course any documentation is welcome too. So you are a 'Webb"? I work with two Webb's here one who came here from england- you'll have to give me details on that side as well.View attachment 87214View attachment 87215

Thanks again Darrell and thanks to Shera who had posted me these photos from Ancestry, I've dated them at about 1880. I'll be in touch via email and send you details of the Webb side of our family, Graham.

my grandad John Sheldon was born 1882/3, according to the 1911 census he was born in Walsall. He married my grandmother Florence Ellen Butler in 1905. There were three children on the census at that time, my father William Arthur Sheldon was not born yet the address for the family was in Greet Birmingham. He was a nib maker and my grandmother worked from home making parts for riffles., I have been told he died in the 2nd world war. My grandmother later remarried. The post regarding your request for help which was answered in 2008 from the Perry Barr district ties in with what I know.

Regards Rose

Daughter of William Arthur Sheldon born 04/04/1918

Hi Rose & Welcome to site,

Your Father William A Sheldon born 4/4/1918 (mother maiden name Butler) married Gillespie , register B,ham December 1943 6d page 45
You mentioned killed in WW2 ? not finding any details for him on CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission )
Do you have further information on him to assist folks on site to track him with you ?, cheers JohnY

Just re-read your post,, oops its your Grandad died in WW1,, somebody find him eh! gone for half a shandy to clear zee leetle grey cells,,

Last edited:
Hi John,
thank you for getting back to me so quickly, my granddad was a POW and died in Germany. I do have some info about him now.

Kind Regards
Rose

Hi,
my aunty was Lily Sheldon who later became Mrs Webb.

Regards Rose

Hi Rose, sorry for any delay but I've only just seen your posting.

Lily was my mother and we lived in Leamington Road at 2/66 you must then be my cousin! Did you have sisters Jean and Patsy?View attachment 89051 Having trouble with photo but I'll try again; you must have lived at N° 11 (11/64) Grafton Grove, Leamington Road?

Last edited:
here is a copy of John's will from Ancestry

Sheldon John of 14 Beech Road, Springvale, Miles Street, Birmingham. Rifleman 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Kings Royal Rifle Corps died 23 December 1918 at Parchim Germany. Administration Birmingham 19 September to Florence Helen Sheldon widow. Effects £120.13s.3d.

Yet another great success story for me thanks to BHF & its members! 'sprayra' is my long lost cousin Rose and I'm looking forward to catching up on all the news; there were 7 of them! :adoration:

Graham.

Hi Graham and Rose,
Graham I have been talking to Pat and she said there were 8 children, Another girl born after we had moved on.

Hi Freddy,
yes there was another little girl, her name is Julie she was born in 1965. Pat has put a photo on FB when all the family were together after many years of not seeing each other. Julie is on the left standing next to me. She unfortunately never met all the aunts , uncles and cousins but she knows about them. She is on FB that's how we all keep in touch, because we don't live by each other it can be some time before we all meet up. its lovely to hear from you, I am slowly piecing together our family tree if I can help you with anything let me know.

Bye for now Rose

Yes Fred & Rose, great to have found them after all this time, once again thanks to this forum and its wonderful members. Uncle 'Bill' & Anna were very productive, great pitty that we didn't all stay growing up together because they are a wonderful lot, not to mention their good looks too!

Fred I know you're as happy as I am with this outcome. Take care, love Graham. x

Hi Graham & Freddy, finding you both so quickly was amazing I just googled grandad's name and year of birth and I went straight to this web site. I've told a lot of people about the site. I don't think I could have given Pat happier news when I told her I had been in contact. All the aunt's, uncle's & cousin's and people from Sparkbrook have been talked about for years wondering where everyone ended up, but so far its all good news. I should be getting Grandad & Nan's birth certificates tomorrow I will mail you a copy.

Bye for now
love Rose

Rose, good thing you knew granddad's name as it took me a long time to find him. Looking forward to seeing the birth certs, Graham x.

Interesting (and successful) thread!

Has anyone done any work on exploring the earlier Sheldon generation(s), i.e. the Walsall connection which has been mentioned?

Chris

Interesting (and successful) thread!

Has anyone done any work on exploring the earlier Sheldon generation(s), i.e. the Walsall connection which has been mentioned?

Chris

Thanks for the positive comments Chris and no we know little or nothing of the Walsall connection; I wouldn't know where to start!

Thanks to Shera I now know quite a bit about John Sheldon's army life, how he was taken POW in WWI and ended up at Parchim camp where he died on 23 Dec 1918. I'm only guessing that he died of the Spanish flu, a terrible end when you think what he must have been through to survive all those years as a POW. But as I've said I'm only guessing.

Hey Graham, attached (hopefully) are pictures of Joseph Sheldon and Jane Markwick Sheldon. I have been struggling to piece together My SHeldon family tree for nearly 10 years, I've made some headway-it has been easier to trace the Markwick side -that I have some going back to the 1400's. I'll take any help you have on the Sheldons that you find-I can also maybe fill in some of your blanks as well. Of course any documentation is welcome too. So you are a 'Webb"? I work with two Webb's here one who came here from england- you'll have to give me details on that side as well.View attachment 87214View attachment 87215
I'm messaging on the off chance you will see this since it was written 8 years ago. I'm 25 years old. My Grandfather was called Norman Sheldon, his dad was called Arthur Sheldon and Arthur had a brother called John. I think we might be distant relatives? If so, it would be very cool. I've been trying to trace my family tree.

Welcome to the Forum, Holliesheldon.

Unfortunately, from the note under his avatar, it looks as though Graham is thought to have passed away. But let's hope that the revival of this thread will bring forth other members with an interest in the Sheldon family name and that you might be able to make some progress. I remain interested myself, but only in Walsall connections.

Chris

Welcome Holliesheldon.
Graham, sadly died on May 21st 2017 in Ghent, Belgium where he lived most of his life.
He was Graham Webb,a World Champion, British cyclist, he never got the honours he deserved in Britain but was honoured by the king of Belgium.

Alberta.

Last edited:
Back