• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Samuel Garbett

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
Not much to go on this but Dad has always informed me there was a large photo on his parents wall of a Samuel Garbett possibly there was also a Leopold in his full name. Always took this with a pinch of salt as there's no one in my tree with that surname.
Some kind person has printed me out an electoral roll of the Rotton Park Ward and at 276 King Edwards Rd he appears with my Gt Gran and my Grandad:05.18-flustered:. There's no date on the print out but as Grandfather was still at home it must be from about 1900 until the early twenties.
Any way of finding some more info on him I'd be grateful:friendly_wink:
Just realized women didn't get the vote until 1918 and Gt Gran was on the form so electoral roll must be after that and I've not found him living with my family in any census so far:05.18-flustered:

in 1912 3 ct 2 king edwards rd. samuel garbett
in 1920 3 ct 2 king edwards rd. samuel garbett, elizabeth garbett, charles garbett
in 1922 as above
in 1925 276 king edwards rd. carrie maney, george allan maney and samuel garbett
in 1927 276 king edwards rd. carrie garbett, george allan maney and samuel garbett
in 1930 276 king edwards rd. carrie maney, reeves carter, ivy carter and samuel garbett

thats the lot. i dont know why carrie is listed as garbett in 1927??

in the 1911 census for 3 bk 240 king edwards rd.

samuel garbett 51 foundry labourer b. staffordshire
elizabeth garbett 51 b. staffordshire
harriett garbett 17 press worker b. dudley
charles w. garbett 14 fitter b. bham
joseph garbett 9 b. bham

married 31 years. had had 13 children but 4 had died.

in 1920 3 ct 2 king edwards rd. samuel garbett, elizabeth garbett, charles garbett
in 1922 as above
in 1925 276 king edwards rd. carrie maney, george allan maney and samuel garbett
in 1927 276 king edwards rd. carrie garbett, george allan maney and samuel garbett
in 1930 276 king edwards rd. carrie maney, reeves carter, ivy carter and samuel garbett

joseph garbett 9 b. bham

Wow! that's them thank's, carries husband died in 1922 possibly this was more than a lodger:biggrin:thank's ever so much.

glad to have solved a family mystery. no sign of a leopold in the name though!

all the best, shera

just a little more info about samuel garbett. in 1901 he was a maltster living winson green rd.

samuel and elizabeth garbett were born kingswinford. they were married 1880 in stourbridge and elizabeths maiden name was NEW.

Hello brumgum, probably a red herring but thought I should pass it on because you never know do you?
Living in Digby street were two very elderly ladies. The house was in a sort of yard and I think at one time there must have been a cart if not a horse.
One of them was named Mrs. Gregg and the other was Mrs. Garbett. Sorry I do not know anything about either of them but fingers crossed. They were there when we were bombed out which was 1940 I think?
Betty.

Hello brumgum, probably a red herring but thought I should pass it on because you never know do you?
Living in Digby street were two very elderly ladies. The house was in a sort of yard and I think at one time there must have been a cart if not a horse.
One of them was named Mrs. Gregg and the other was Mrs. Garbett. Sorry I do not know anything about either of them but fingers crossed. They were there when we were bombed out which was 1940 I think?
Betty.
Thank's Betty, this was the side of the family in Ladywood not the Digby Street lot:biggrin:

in 1922 as above

joseph garbett 9 b. bham

A bit of a mystery also is Reeve Carter married to my Gt Aunt Ivy, I've found their marriage in 1929 i think but no one has ever heard of him and i can't find a death. Any help on this would be much appreciated. i think it may be Reeve Carter and not Reeves, an unusual name:abnormal:and a mystery.

Does this help?
1911 at 6 /39 Burbury St Birmingham
Frederick Carter,aged 35 born 1876 Carrick Fergus Ireland, Milkman
Elizabeth Wife aged 30 born 1881 Birmingham
Ernest Son aged 8 born 1903 Birmingham
Elizabeth Daughter aged 7 born 1904 Birmingham
Reeve Son aged 3 born 1908
Birmingham Warrickshire
Bernard Son aged 2 born 1909 Birmingham
George Son aged 1 born 1910 Birmingham
George Boarder aged 24 born 1887 born Burton on Trent, Window Cleaner
Married 9 years
Death registration
Name: Reeve CARTER,
Registration district:Solihull County:Warwickshire
Year of registration:1982 Quarter of registration:Apr-May-Jun
Date of Birth:7 November 1907
Volume no:34 Page no:0141

Does this help?
1911 at 6 /39 Burbury St Birmingham
Frederick Carter,aged 35 born 1876 Carrick Fergus Ireland, Milkman
Elizabeth Wife aged 30 born 1881 Birmingham
Ernest Son aged 8 born 1903 Birmingham
Elizabeth Daughter aged 7 born 1904 Birmingham
Reeve Son aged 3 born 1908
Birmingham Warrickshire
Bernard Son aged 2 born 1909 Birmingham
George Son aged 1 born 1910 Birmingham
George Boarder aged 24 born 1887 born Burton on Trent, Window Cleaner
Married 9 years
Death registration
Name: Reeve CARTER,
Registration district:Solihull County:Warwickshire
Year of registration:1982 Quarter of registration:Apr-May-Jun
Date of Birth:7 November 1907
Volume no:34 Page no:0141
That looks like him, strange but my father who knew his Aunt Ivy well and visted often never knew about him or the marriage, thank's.

Not much to go on this but Dad has always informed me there was a large photo on his parents wall of a Samuel Garbett possibly there was also a Leopold in his full name. Always took this with a pinch of salt as there's no one in my tree with that surname.
Some kind person has printed me out an electoral roll of the Rotton Park Ward and at 276 King Edwards Rd he appears with my Gt Gran and my Grandad:05.18-flustered:. There's no date on the print out but as Grandfather was still at home it must be from about 1900 until the early twenties.
Any way of finding some more info on him I'd be grateful:friendly_wink:
Just realized women didn't get the vote until 1918 and Gt Gran was on the form so electoral roll must be after that and I've not found him living with my family in any census so far:05.18-flustered:

Back