• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nico I think you are confusing breweries in Cheshire with Cheshire's Brewery in Smethwick. Understandable because that is why it took me a time to track down the Smethwick Brewery.
As for Smithwick's Brewery in Ireland, I have been to the one in Kilkenny.
No I know what I am on about though Nobody else usually does.
I could also be imagining that I have seen the Cheshire Brewery logo on something in colour. I have something in my head of an orangey coloured windmill on a blue background.
I have had Kilkenny beer in France and Killians but it was fizzy.

No I( think its Ok. The A3 sign is Road number (A34??). Those pedestrians are all on a crossing.
I wondered whether it was a road sign for the A34, but Corporation Street was one way in 1964 (see where the Midland Red bus is) and the sign would have been been pointing the wrong way. From my memories only the trams went against the one way as in the forum pic dated 1938 as shown below.
I must admit I can't see why he would carry a sign on a stick - so it remains a mystery...
index.php

Last edited:
Great to see those old cars.... and you could choose any colour as long as it was black !
Great to see running man still there always in a hurry... I wonder what his name was ?

I don't think anyone's been fast enough to catch him up to ask him.:courage:
Makes one wonder if he was in a newspaper photo of a special event and it might be in a newspaper archive ... anyway there have been plenty of theories lately about what he was actually doing ...even some about whether he was actually there !

Great to see those old cars.... and you could choose any colour as long as it was black !
Great to see running man still there always in a hurry... I wonder what his name was ?
Well mum had 2 grey cars when I was small, (dad never drove,) and not at the same time of course and only because grandad got them for her for a song and they both lay under them tinkering for hours, mum still in her skirt, till they were any good. And that was the one time he could get away from Nan although she would come poking around.
One was a Standard 8 or 10 a really dull grey and one a I think was a Standard Tourer. It had sort of a grey tartan soft top and rubbery plastic windows that were hard to see out of. Some nights she would jump up and say "I have forgot to put the parking light on!" which operated on a wire from a battery I think, inside. One dark night the 'nice' neighbours grassed us up to a Bobby on his bike and he knocked to say we hadn't got a parking light on. We had a hard sandy verge dotted with trees but no one ever parked on it, unless there was a football match and then it was strangers, we kids played on it. Now they are smothered with cars and they are all parked on what was the front garden, people who would have moaned if their house didn't have a front garden. Rant over! Thanks for the nstalgia.

If the date on the the photo is correct it was a Thursday morning, and the young girl in the centre of the pic may have spent Wednesday night in the family Anderson shelter but she's more interested in trying out a roller skate ... wearing only one stopped you falling over !
The adults in the pic are probably hoping the bombers go somewhere else tonight ....
Image2_Rookery_Road_Bomb_Damage_1942.jpg

Not paying attention I notice I had already posted this with different comments way back in the thread !! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wonder what was going on here? Other than it was 1912 in Great Charles Street, I have no idea! Viv.

eqy5upy9.jpg

look like tram employee's, or prison service warders, only a few with military medals though, so maybe before WW1, .paul

The bloke on the left of the front rank has come on parade with a button missing ... not good !
I still think they might be postmen but Googling has not yielded any conclusive results.
Most in the photo are looking at the Officer out front, but the tall one third from left has spotted someone down the road.
Most of the NCO types out front have white gloves so they must be 'management'.
The photo is dated 1912 so most of them will be wearing different uniforms in their near future.....

I think you have found it Viv and you were right Paul. They look like the motormen in the linked photo below from the site Viv found.
index.php

b0027ham_arthurstdepot_davidsmithcrop.jpg

Last edited:
I spotted the missing button as well. What I noticed was that the "officers" did not have the metal buttons and looking at the link that Viv posted, I can't tell from the inspectors photo how the jacket fastened.

At this time in Britain we were very Militaristic, every pastime or job which involved wearing a uniform of any sort was run on military lines, with similar chains of command and this included paradesand such like, also this was I suspect regarded as very good employment within the status structure of the period. paul

When I was young every man who wore a uniform, including postmen and bus conductors had a row of medal ribbons.

If these were tram men and I agree the uniforms look like it who was driving the trams that day? And why not line up in a street with tram cars behind them like Navigation Street?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back