• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Anybody remember the springhill ice rink was usually the last rsort if we didnt have much money ? :courage:

used to love brum nightlife mainly the clubs owned by the fewtrells namley, Rebbecas in severn street, Cedar club, Barbarellas,Abigails,used to know Bomber Fewtrell, Chris and Mark Cox on the door at Rebeccas.
regards boff

I cant remember where Rebeccas was or Barbarellas but do remember them there were a few good clubs in Solihull too anyone remember the Snooty Fox or Davy Jones Locker ??

was there a snoopys club my husband knew most of those but the rum runner was his main club late 60s early 70s goes by the name of tippy

My friend Sandra and I used to go to the Rum Runner most Fridays nights and the Opposite Lock on Saturday. Getting ready to go I used to put my hair piece in the over, then all those bouffant curls were placed on the top of my head, then the false eyelashes, what a gib I must have cut.
I don't remember what they were called but I do remember buying a jacket that came with shorts in, of all colours, yellow, ooh thats my hang my head in sheer embarrassment.

Not at all Carol no embarrassment. Your post sounds like me getting ready to go out..ha ha! My jacket and shorts were dusty pink weren't they called bomber jackets?

There was a night club at the bottom of Bradford street , Digbeth , it was called ye old moat house club . It was owned by rob pryke , who was also know in the market as the banana king due to him being the biggest importer of bananas in the city . His trait was that he always wore a bowler hat and a carnation in his button hole . My dad worked there in the 60's as a cloakroon attendant on a fri , sat and sunday night . I used to help him but then got a job in the kitchen , I also worked there fri sat and sun night , i was there for around 3 yrs , but left 6 months before i left harry lucas school in 1965

Hello Jean Ann. There was a club called Sloopys in Corporation St maybe you meant that. It was near the road that now leads to the Law Courts.

Johnpress - I used to go regularly to the Moat House in the early 60s. I always thought it was in Moat Lane, so I have learned something from you! Mind you Moat Lane does lead into Bradford Street doesn't it? I remember a lot of the Aston Villa and Birmingham City footballers used to use it as well and I knew a lot them. You are the first person that I have seen on the Forum that knows about it. I had forgotten the name Rob Pryke till you mentioned him.

Judy

Johnpress - I used to go regularly to the Moat House in the early 60s. I always thought it was in Moat Lane, so I have learned something from you! Mind you Moat Lane does lead into Bradford Street doesn't it? I remember a lot of the Aston Villa and Birmingham City footballers used to use it as well and I knew a lot them. You are the first person that I have seen on the Forum that knows about it. I had forgotten the name Rob Pryke till you mentioned him.

Judy

Ahem Jayell....teehee....https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29245&highlight=Denny+Laine...been there, done that...sorry...lol...

This will astound you judy ........ Well , it may do ............ I actually remember the phone number of the moat house club , it was V.I.C 2176 , V.I.C meant Victoria which was how phone numbers were formatted in the days before numerical numbers

Hi I do remember a place called Sloopys cant remember where it was don't really remember the rum runner my nightclub years were from 78 to 81 after that I came to Australia

Oop - apologies Dennis! I must have missed that. Maybe we bumped into each other once or twice hee hee!

I must have seen Johnpress's dad a few times as well. Funny how some telephone numbers stick in your head John. I can still remember our old phone number in Handsworth when I was growing up - NOR 0769.

Judy

I was thinking there used to be a night club close to the Oasis market in the late 70s also remember a place called the Buccaneer don't know if it was a pub or a club?? also used to have some great nights at the Mackadown down by Tile Cross in the days of posers who loved Roxy Music and Spandau Ballet oh those where the days!!

I just posted a long winded reply to you all , then lost it , so here goes again . The moat house was definitely at the bottom of Bradford st and was 200 yards down from the castaways club . it was next to a pub called the drovers and opposite was a very imposing pub called the Birmingham arms which had its own coaching entrance , the club was also opposite a massive slaughter house . when I was waiting for the club to open on a sunday night , I often saw a bullock running around the street . The club owner (rob pryke ) also had a betting shop on the ground floor of the 3 story building , the clubroom was at the top of a long flight of stairs and was frequented by well know people , the one that springs to mind was the Birmingham boxer Johnny Prescott

And just for the record , I even remember the phone number in 1963 ..... it was Victoria 2176 , but YOU dialled V.I.C 2176 , I bet im the only person in existence that remembers that !

Ye Old Moat House Club was situated at 342 Bradford St above the Bookies as stated and with a butchers shop on either side.

Back