• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Muntz George Frederick (1794-1857)

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Re: Some great men of Birmingham..

So, we have James Gillott who revolutionised printing and writing, Rowland Hill who invented postage stamps....so how do we tear them apart...enter George Muntz, who gave us perforations...

George Frederick Muntz (26 November 1794 – 30 July 1857) was an industrialist from Birmingham, England and a Liberal Party Member of Parliament (MP) for the Birmingham constituency from 1840 until his death.
His family came to England during the French revolution.

GF Muntz.jpg

Muntz was a supporter of political reform and a member of the Birmingham Political Union. In his actions that led to the Reform Act of 1832, he was indicted for sedition as he tried to undermine the Duke of Wellington with a run on gold. He also was involved in a riot at Saint Martins in Birmingham in protest against the Church Rates which were levied at around 6d to 9d in the pound. He was sent to trial in 1838, but was acquitted on all but one of 13 charges. Whilst claiming to be a republican, his true character appeared to be that of an egotistical aristocrat. Edwards wrote in 1877 of a conversation about a speech he made:
"They won't be able to print Muntz's speech verbatim." "Why not?" said I. "Why my dear fellow, no printing office in the world would have capital I's enough".

His home was at Umberslade Hall, in Tanworth in Arden. His descendants still live in the area and operate Umberslade Hall Children's Farm
As an industrialist, he developed Muntz Metal.

Umberslade Hall.jpg Muntzs Rolling Mills.jpg

He had seven sons and two daughters. The family business was continued by the eldest son, George Frederick junior together with Philip Albert Muntz, also a Member of Parliament who was created a Baronet in 1902 (see Muntz Baronets). George's brother, Philip Henry Muntz, was also an MP.
The Muntz family are remembered by Muntz Street, a tower block called Muntz House and Muntz Park, all in Birmingham.

Muntz Park 2.jpg

Muntz Park is in Selly Oak, Birmingham and is situated between Umberslade and Gristhorpe Roads, overlooked by houses on three sides. On the fourth side is Raddlebarn Primary School.
Mr Frederick Ernest Muntz gave 3 acres of land to the district council on 20th May 1905 to be used as a park.
Mr F E Muntz was born on 14th June 1845. He grew up and later inherited Umberslade Hall in Tanworth in Arden. This is where Umberslade Road got its name from. The Muntz family still live in the area, at Umberslade children's farm.

The Muntz family was a prominent Birmingham and Warwickshire family. Originally from Lithuania, they moved to Germany and also held land in France. Philippe Frederic Muntz settled in Birmingham after the French Revolution, where he invested in a small commercial business which became Muntz Purden.

The member of the Muntz Family after whom the park is named if Frederick Ernest Muntz, but it is his grandfather, George Frederic, who is more widely known. He invented the yellow metal, Muntz metal, an alloy of copper and zinc which was successfully used to sheathe the wooden hulls of ships, protecting them from worm damage. In 1840 he became one of Birminghamís first Members of Parliament. He campaigned for the greater safety of ships at sea, and was also responsible for putting up the necessary capital to introduce the perforation of postage stamps.

His son, also George Frederick, bought Umberslade Hall near Tanworth in Arden, previously rented by his father. He had built, at his own expense, Umberslade Baptist Church, near Hockley Heath, where he is now buried.

Frederick Ernest Muntz succeeded to the Muntz estates in 1898. He was barrister at law from Cambridge, and like his father a JP and Deputy Lieutenant of Warwickshire. He was Managing Director of Horsley Iron Company, most notable for making the majority of the Midlandsí canal bridges. He tried his hand, unsuccessfully, at politics. He embellished the enlarged Umberslade Hall and its grounds and established a breeding stud of Shire horses. He died in November 1922 and was buried in Tanworth in Arden churchyard.

Now it just so happens that my lad has a house in Umberslade Road dead opposite Muntz Park. The land on which Muntz Park lies was once part of Selly Farm which stood at the corner of Warwards Lane and St Stephenís Road, owned by the Muntz family since the early 19th century but farmed by successive generations of the Worwood family.
However, from the third quarter of the nineteenth century, such areas of farmland, so close to the ever expanding Birmingham were being bought up for new housing. In 1904 approval was given for the construction of two new roads on Mr Muntz’s land, leading off Raddlebarn Road the future Umberslade and Gristhorpe Roads. (Cherington and Rissington were added after 1911). Housing soon followed the creation of these new roads.

Very soon after, on 20th May 1905 Frederick Ernest Muntz gave three acres of land to the district council to be used as a park. In 1907 and 1909 the council bought a further two acres from him, adjacent to their new school, Raddlebarn School, to make the five acres of park.

The park was used from its earliest days for music, dancing and games. In recognition of its use by local people, the Civic Society in 1923 gave a grant of £300 to re-landscape the park extensively. An amphitheatre of sorts was created with a paved central area for dancing, known and The Dell, a raised paved platform, provision for erecting a maypole and a further dais for use as a bandstand. Footpaths and rustic seats were added and the whole area was planted with trees and shrubs to create a charming sylvan setting.

The park has been used over the years for open air concerts and dances.

Muntz Park clip.jpg

The hollow is the remains of a marl pit. Marl pits were common features in the 19th century (and earlier). Marl is a clay deposit particularly rich in calcium carbonate, formed, in this area, from glacial drift deposits. These clay sub soils were dug from deep pits by local farmers and added to light soils in a process known as marling. This increased the cohesion of the soils and in the days before chemical fertilisers, manure and marl were the most used means of improving the fertility of the soil.

I am looking for information on George Frederick Muntz (1794-1857)
With respect to Muntz Metal (60/40 brass)
Some sources say that he patented Muntz Metal. I have copies of his patents 6325,6347 and 11,410. These refer to Sheathing of ships,manufacture of bolts,manufacture of metal plates for sheathing ships. None refer to the patent for Muntz Metal.Can anybody tell me if Muntz Metal was ever patented?
Are there any statues,plaques, buildings in Birmingham which refer to Muntz?
Thanks.

Post 945 at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=31888 states it was patented, as does wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntz_metal). 6347 is described (https://archaeologydataservice.ac.u...062-1/dissemination/pdf/cornwall2-89948_3.pdf) as his second patent, and so 6325 would presumably be his first. As i understand it muntz patented the use of a particular blend of metals for ships purposes. Presumably it could also be use dfor other purposes, but was not patented by him for those.

The 1832 Patents are
6325 Sheathing for Ships, 6347 Manufacture of Bolts and other Ship Fastenings. But nothing about the patent for the composition of the alloy.
Thanks for your help, but Wikipedia cannot always be trusted.

G.F. Muntz M.P. for Birmingham was my gt.gt. grandfather. His metal was patented as well as the nails used. My grandmother told me that the metal was discovered by chance, because the foreman was drunk when mixing the metal and put in the wrong mix. When Prince Albert visited the copper works they rolled out a sheet of Muntz metal for him to walk on instead of the usual red carpet. I will post more when I have checked out some family papers.

Are there any statues,plaques, buildings in Birmingham which refer to Muntz?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
None of the above which I know of but there is a Muntz Street in Small Heath which presumably refers to him.

Old Boy

There was a medallion struck with this inscription on the reverse, " An Honest Man A Sincere Reformer A Faithful Friend. Represented Birmingham from 1840 until his death".

There was a medallion struck with this inscription on the reverse, " An Honest Man A Sincere Reformer A Faithful Friend. Represented Birmingham from 1840 until his death". G.F. Muntz M.P. for Birmingham.jpgG.F.Muntz M.P. for Birmingham medallion.jpg

G.F. Muntz built Ley now called Lea Hall, near Perry Bar, but it was his youngest son P.A. Muntz M.P., who built Dunsmore in 1881 and bred the world famous Dunsmore stud of shire horses. The house is on the market again, however the estate was sold by my grandfather who died circa 1922. He was the last family member to be managing Muntz Metals Ltd., Elliots then took over the company before selling the patents to I.C.I., who in turn made Muntz Plastics which were making goods up till 1970?. I think that the Gas Board bought the works at French Walls later. I can remember seeing the advertisement for Muntz Metal painted along the wall of the canal when travelling on the Pines Express train from Manchester to Bournemouth.

@Webster, I will have to look that up in the family papers, which will have that info, that may take some time, but don't worry!.

Re: Some great men of Birmingham.. Philip Henry Muntz M.P. circa 1860

My great-great grandfather, Philip Henry Muntz (later MP for Birmingham and twice its Mayor) was born at SELLY HALL in the Northfield district of Birmingham - now named St Pauls Convent. I am not sure whether any of the old hall remains as part of the convent. Philip Frederick Muntz, the paternal father of the Muntz family in England, resided at Selly Hall until his death in 1811, the same year as the infant Philip Henry was born. Philip Frederick's first factory, I believe stood in Water Street, Birmingham. From that acorn 'Muntz Metal' seemingly grew. A century later and I recall from an old worker/employee at the West Bromwich works (PH MUNTZ & BARWELL) during the 1920's that folk strived to get work there, owing to both fair wages and fair treatment. Philip Henry's elder brother, George Frederick, was probably the best known member of that family, owing to 'Muntz-Metal' and the plates which adorned the hull of the Cutty Sark and his political stance as a radical reformer. He is mentioned in the Ingoldsby Legends in respect of his huge black beard and being the first member of Parliament to wear a beard. A rather unorthodox man, George was seemingly greatly respected by his workforce, as was demonstrated on his death, when they lined the funeral route in great numbers. As a footnote, I always understood that Philip Frederick, the father, raised George in the 'physical' vein, i.e. developed him body and soul, so that as an adult, reports tend towards making mention of his sheer physical strength and size. Few men, if any, seemed keen to take him on! Colourful times!

Attachments

• img561.jpg
    img561.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 22
Re: Some great men and women of Birmingham..

This is a family album portrait of Philip Henry Muntz, around 1860ish. He lived at Edstone Hall Wooten Wawen (his seat) but purchased Somerset House, Leamington Spa in 1864 and lived there until his death on Christmas Day, 1888. He represented Birmingham for seventeen consecutive years - 1868-85 and was twice Mayor. Educated privately, he then was sent to Shrewsbury School prior to Heidelberg. His father-in-law was at one time, Finance Minister for the Grand Duchy of Baden. I know little about him(Philip Henry) in essence, other than he was considered to a very fair man and judge (magistrate) and conscientious Liberal politician. I only wish that I had been old enough to question my grandmother about him. His elder brother, George of 'Muntz Metal' fame, remains the more prominent member of the family, owing in no small part to his radical views. I think I am correct in saying that during the royal visit to then Muntz works (Prince Albert) it was HENRY who acted as 'host' as George declined that honour. The 'yellow metal' carpet in place of a red one, set down for that occasion, is recorded somewhere in text, but I cannot remember the source.

Hi
I think you will find that was his son Philip Albert who had the house at Clifton, he was made a Baronet and died in 1909.

Hi
I was interested in what you had to say about PH Muntz, He was GF's younger brother and from what I understand he was contracted by GF to make yellow metal for him. However from reading some papers it seems after GF 1sts death he started to claim he had been a business partner and it went to chancery in 1865. Would you have any information on this? Thanks

Hi
very interested to hear you are a descendant and was wondering which line you came from?
Thanks

G.F. Muntz built Ley now called Lea Hall, near Perry Bar, but it was his youngest son P.A. Muntz M.P., who built Dunsmore in 1881 and bred the world famous Dunsmore stud of shire horses. The house is on the market again, however the estate was sold by my grandfather who died circa 1922. He was the last family member to be managing Muntz Metals Ltd., Elliots then took over the company before selling the patents to I.C.I., who in turn made Muntz Plastics which were making goods up till 1970?. I think that the Gas Board bought the works at French Walls later. I can remember seeing the advertisement for Muntz Metal painted along the wall of the canal when travelling on the Pines Express train from Manchester to Bournemouth.

Hi Mr Molyneux,
Do you know anything about what happened to your Great Grandfather's House (Lea Hall) circa 1920 and how it came to be allotments? Many thanks!!

On reading this thread I notice that GF Muntz is labelled a great man. It always interests me as to why many are called great, some just because other people have said so.

Now if you consult Wikipedia concerning George Frederick Muntz (26 November 1794 – 30 July 1857). It says that he was an industrialist from Birmingham, England and a Liberal Party Member of Parliament (MP) for the Birmingham constituency from 1840 until his death.

Fair enough but further on...

...Whilst claiming to be a republican, his true character appeared to be that of an egotistical aristocrat. Edwards wrote in 1877 of a conversation about a speech he made : "They won't be able to print Muntz's speech verbatim." "Why not?" said I. "Why my dear fellow, no printing office in the world would have capital I's enough".

More investigation needed!

Last edited:
Re: Some great men and women of Birmingham..

This is a family album portrait of Philip Henry Muntz, around 1860ish. He lived at Edstone Hall Wooten Wawen (his seat) but purchased Somerset House, Leamington Spa in 1864 and lived there until his death on Christmas Day, 1888. He represented Birmingham for seventeen consecutive years - 1868-85 and was twice Mayor. Educated privately, he then was sent to Shrewsbury School prior to Heidelberg. His father-in-law was at one time, Finance Minister for the Grand Duchy of Baden. I know little about him(Philip Henry) in essence, other than he was considered to a very fair man and judge (magistrate) and conscientious Liberal politician. I only wish that I had been old enough to question my grandmother about him. His elder brother, George of 'Muntz Metal' fame, remains the more prominent member of the family, owing in no small part to his radical views. I think I am correct in saying that during the royal visit to then Muntz works (Prince Albert) it was HENRY who acted as 'host' as George declined that honour. The 'yellow metal' carpet in place of a red one, set down for that occasion, is recorded somewhere in text, but I cannot remember the source.

I don’t think it would be right to say that George Fred Muntz MP declined the honour to act as host during the visit of Prince Albert. He had sent a letter of apology to the Lord Major saying that he had urgent business in London.

Last edited:
George Fredrick Muntz could certainly be regarded as famous, but I am not sure that he can be described as great. There are many references in the Newspaper Archives that help to add further information to the Wikipedia article.

The Birmingham Political Union, of which Muntz was a founder member, was formed in 1829 by Thomas Attwood, and amongst other things called for extending and redistributing suffrage rights to the working class. In 1832 it is reported that 200,000 people attended a meeting of the Union to put pressure on the House of Lords to pass the 1832 Reform Act. However many of the working class members felt “betrayed and frustrated,” as the Act was nowhere near universal suffrage.

There were some that benefited as Birmingham was granted Parliamentary representation by the Reform Act of 1832. with two MPs representing it. Thomas Attwood and Joshua Scholefield both Liberals, were elected as Birmingham's first MP's. On the retirement of Attwood in 1840, Muntz offered himself as candidate and was returned, and he served until his death in 1857.

In 1848 there was a new reform movement, but Muntz was against the call for universal suffrage, saying that at the time it would endanger the attainment of household suffrage.

One young artisan, George Mantle, wrote in response to a speech by Muntz...

“....it rather proves that the capital and credit that you can at all times command enables you to enter the markets when they are dull and heavy, and to carry off (under such pressure) both the raw material and the Labour at (to you) very advantageous terms. This confession of yours, sir, simply proves you to be a shrewd capatalist, whose successful speculations have greatly increased your private fortune and local influence.”

On his death he certainly left his sons something to work on; his son, also a George Fredrick Muntz, died in 1898 and left effects of over £1,000,000.

As indicated above the son of the GF Muntz mentioned, also GF Muntz, left an enormous amount of money. He left money for the Church and schools he had erected around 1877 at Umberslade, southwest of the village of Hockley Heath, Solihull.

The Baptist Church was designated Christ Church and it is said that... “It was built by George Frederick Muntz following his purchase of Umberslade Park. Muntz was a Baptist convert and placed the church between his house and the village to attract further converts to the Baptist cause.”

The Church is now redundant and under the care of The Historic Chapels Trust. It is now a Grade II* Listed Building.

I had passed by this amazing Church on a walk from Hockley Heath in March 2006.
https://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/album/980872

Three views of the Baptist Church can be seen here...

https://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/44820122//in/album/980872
https://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/44820136/in/album/980872
https://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/44820138/in/album/980872

Back