• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro Cammell Saltley

My father died recently and I have just discovered that he worked for Metro Weyman before the mid sixties. What did Weyman make?

Metro-Cammell-Weymann, at that time situated in a former bomber factory at Elmdon, were motor bus body builders.

Here is the works yard in the mid 50s, with buses for Birmingham, London, Midland Red, Jamaica, Cuba and South America awaiting delivery.

Thanks for your replies and the picture. Still not sure whether it was buses or railway carriages though, as unfortunately I don't know the dates he worked there. I think it would be between the mid fifties to mid sixties.

But Elmdon rings a bell, so possibly it was there. I seem to remember he had some sort of connection with that area and mentioning it.

Thanks for your replies and the picture. Still not sure whether it was buses or railway carriages though, as unfortunately I don't know the dates he worked there. I think it would be between the mid fifties to mid sixties.

But Elmdon rings a bell, so possibly it was there. I seem to remember he had some sort of connection with that area and mentioning it.

Hi Modgee,

Metro-Cammell Weymann was based in Elmdon up to the 1960's ( ithink it was the end of the 60's)
and at this point the Elmdon works was closed and transferred to to the Metro-Cammell Midland
Works at Common Lane Washwood Heath. As at Elmdon, the production was bus body building,
and they were allocated A and B shops at the Midland Works. There was also a foray into
Taxi cab production, but this never really took off. You may remember this was called the Metro-Cab.
This offshoot was sold to Reliant at Tamworth.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Dave

Thanks. Judging by the dates, that does seem to confirm he must have worked at Elmdon, as I do know he'd moved on to a different job by about 1964-1965.

I have memories of working at Metro-Cammell Saltley. I started my apprentiship as a wood machinist in 1951 anyone else have memories of this great place. I'll sort some photo's out and post them. Wonderful site. Albert Wayne

Do you remember Norman Handley who worked at Metro Cammell Saltley late 50s/early 60s as a finisher on the coaches - in particular the Blue Pullman?

My father was also a wood machinist at the Met during the fifties, one of his best friends was Dennis Whale who worked in the print shop, he was in the railway part not the buses, he was a member of the social for many years after leaving there and going to work at Jaguar, he also played bowls for the met, his name was arthur Hopkins

Does your father remember Norman Handley who worked at the Saltley factory in the late 50s/early 60s on the Blue Pullman carriages?

My dad (Norman) worked for Metro Cammell, Saltley in the late 50s/early 60s as a carpenter. I am trying to locate people who may remember the factory and others who worked there at that time. He was a finisher on the train coaches, in particular the Blue Pullman, a high class coach. Anyone have any pictures of the factory or the coaches? Thank you so much.

My grand father was a gate keeper at the Met in the late 50's I also remember taking his lunch to him when I was very young.He looked after the gate in Arley Road in those days

My dad worked for Metro Cammell late 50s early 60s at their Saltley factory as a carpenter. They manufactured trains. The Blue Pullman at that time - a high class coach with French polished wood panelling. Would you mind me asking if you know which factory your relative worked at and when?

My Father worked at 'The Met' in Common Lane all through the war until the 60s., his name was Albert Turner and he lived in Aston Church Road. He was a Blacksmith. Sorry i dont have any pics.

My dad worked in the finishing shed mainly on the blue Pullmans from about 1958 to 60. Did your dad live to a healthy old age?

Pam...if you type in Metro Cammell ( Saltley ) on Google,you will find plenty of information on the 'Met' including photos of rolling stock,I worked at the Common Lane ' Met ' for twenty odd years and just about remember the Pullman.

Many thanks, I have done that, seen plenty of photos but not what I am looking for which is a picture of the factory itself, inside or out. Some of the items do not make very good reading eg: asbestos.

Many of my old workmates have passed on through Asbestosis,one of the most terrible of diseases from our industrial past.

My dad has mesothelioma. Lung cancer caused by asbestos. He is 76. Do you happen to know anyone that worked at this factory when my dad was there? And yes, it is terrible. My dad was such a fine strong man.

Any of you remember Frank Tregenza who worked at Metro-cammell?

Hello, I know the above post is quite old, but my dad's best friend Derek Tresadern worked at Metro with him in the late 1950's on the double-decker bus frames. I know Derek had a brother, too. My dad is looking for his old friend Derek Tresadern, if anyone knows his whereabouts. He would be about 76 years old now.
Kevin

Last edited:
My father in law Bob Mutlow worked at metro in the early 50's as a coach trimmer. We found this picture just after he passed away earlier this year.

Bob is far right front row.Unfortunately we don't know who any of the others are.
CCF240613_00005.jpg

Back