• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Brian you are a mine of information on the cemeteries. Such a shame about the photo's. I will never understand why people want to keep historical info and pictures to themselves, it should be for all to share. I will have to make the effort to come and find the exact spot where my gt gt grandparents are John and Margaret McKnight H 1156 and H 1177 good old Brummy name...ha ha. Les helped me once but I need a spot like your folder.

Well they cannot have been sealed in the 1950's Brian, as the photos (colour) were taken in the 1970's. I know Barry and are you sure he is not on a little leg-pull there? I will email you.

Rosie, I think yours are safe - Your Gt Gt Grandad is probably leaning against the back wall, Either having a fag, or waiting for some little old lady to walk by.......?
As you go uphill, you will see there is a space between the back wall of Publics and the Wall of the Mint - good place to put the surplus soil, compost covering the walls of the Publics - treat it as a ground level window box!!!!!
You can probably just scrape around the surface with a spade, or work your way down from further up where the walls are showing and just follow the back one down.

Dunno what the area looked like between 1920-1950 - Grass or flower Beds? Most of the trees date from late 1950's, early '60's when the Council had finished and just left the disturbed soil to sprout madly. As you say looking much better now, would be nicer if the people converting the Mint tidied up the brickwork on top of the retaining wall. they have done work up near the compost area, but stopped after a few yards.

WEndy, the hard parts are 1) Finding a grave or 2 with numbers on to start counting down and across to locate your grave in first instance, and b) Remembering to pick your folder up afterwards with all your info in!

I have left 3 behind over time and only found 1 of them when I remembered and returned! Having to print out all the sections plans and pics is a pain!

When answering requests for locating graves, I try and take pics from several directions so they can find the space again. I also have a smakll supply of 2 x 2 timber which I use as Markers if they are visiting soon after to have a look.
Be careful on Section H - some nasty sunken graves there - more candidates for surplus soil from off the Publics.!!!!!!!!!

Brian

I do enjoy reading your posts Brian as I have a mental picture of you searching for lost folders! I will take care in section H but won't be the first time I have fallen into a sunken grave, the leaves always hide them. I am amused by my McKnight ansestors some in Key Hill and some in Warstone Lane maybe they couldn't decide what religion they were...ha ha.

Hi Wendy,

I always remember my folders when I get home - but they disappear before I get back to the Cemeteries! My current KH folderstill has a damp & waterlogged cover because it rained in the night before I went back for it last occasion!
Pherhaps the McKnights were canny and having a foot in each camp??
Brian

Hello Rosie, like you we have been wondering if there is a edge were reene is resting, Brian as been fantastic with all the help he as given us from when we found out reene was at warston lane, mind you if it had not been for brian and other folk on the forum we would never of found where reene was, we are hoping to do some cleaning up round by where reene is just need to speak to brian , pam x

Hi Pam, I've been waiting for fine weather for another visit, last time the bulbs weren't showing but it has snowed since! I would like to look for edging...health permitting, one of my walking sticks is a walking pole with a spike and it might come in handy for investigating.

Brian, when "Mr rosie" last saw his Nan's grave when he was a small child (70 yrs ago!!!) he just remembers grass and graves, and that "Huge Angel" which turned out to be about 3' feet high. It's liyng down broken and headless now but when he went to fetch water for his Mum for the flowers, he had to go by the Catacombs and was frightened by it!!

rosie.

Hi Rosie,
Lots of bulbs showing through now, and many daffs in bloom! Pity Mr Rosie never had his pic taken whilst visiting - be great to see what it looked like!
The 'Huge Angel' was presumably a little more uphill of where it now lies? Lost the power of flight!

Pam, You have to remember that the Council owns the cemetery, which is Grade 2 listed, so although we assist by 'tidying up', we have to be careful to try and put the place into the good order it was, and keep everything still in keeping witht the age and the reverence required for the occupants.
Hopefully the brick outlines can be found and gently scraped clear similar to that exposed in the Key Hill Publics behind the War memorial in Section L.

There is a grave in Key Hill which someone has partially surrounded by old bricks - If Bereavement Services thought it had been done by the 'Friends' we would lose all credibility and and good working relationship with them. Softly, softley, scrapee, scrapee for the moment, please!!!!

Brian

Hi Brian,
Had another look today, the roots from the self-seeded trees are intertwined just there but further up the walls are visible. A huge gust of wind came up and it started to hail....had to give up!
The good news is that I found Gt. Gt. Grandmother's grave (Selina Yapp) but the bad news is that it was forfeited twice and the gravestone is for the Lawley family! B1684. The kerbs are a bit sunken but intact.
I wish the weather would improve!!
rosie.

Hi Rosie,
Very cold and blustery here today with showers. Brave of you to tackle WL - braver than me anyway!!!!
B 1684
John Napper 1861
Selina Yapp 1899
Mary Jane Lawley 1919
George Lawley 1928
Alfred Walker 1929

After WW1 they appear to be reclaiming and reselling graves all over the cemetery - obviously realised they were running out of new plots.
At least you know where she is now and there is a visible grave. Will try and have a look on Tuesday - been trying to map out parts of Section A, so I was in the area last Tuesday!
ps Any relation to Stan Yapp that was?

Brian

Hi Brian,
Yes we didn't stay long! She's close to the Druid's Grave, about nine rows in from the road and nine from the far wall I think.
We didn't know there were parking permits required just there by the Lodge.
We will catch up with you one day!
No unfortunately she's not related to the famous Yapps as far as I know, but she was a bigamist and also taken to court for receiving stolen silks! She was let off though. She's along way away from her husband too!
rosie.

reading the thread on warstone and keyhill took me back to when i was 11/12 years old in the fifties being the eldest girl i had to take my younger siblings out and living not far from both ( winson green ) i used to take them to the key hill and warstone cemetry and if we saw graves with lots of flowers on we would take some of and put them on graves that didnt have any on mainly putting them on children graves.
one day mom asked me where we had been and my sister told her and what we had done
she gave me a hiding i have never forgot to this day meny years later we where talking and i told my mom that i wasnt stealing them i was sharing them as a 11/12 year old i thought i was being kind i never went back to the cemetries up untill 3 years ago while looking for twin girls who died in 1948( my brother inlaws sister ) who are buried in warstone cemertry

What a lovely story josietrue, sad you got a hiding. The action I think was typical of children in those days we were taught to share. I also think the older generation then felt very strongly about cemeteries and graveyards being very sacred, maybe this made your Mom cross. I am sure like me many children would never step on a gravestone or a grave. I have to now when I do my research especially at Key Hill because the graves are so close.I still feel uncomfortable doing it though!

i agree wendy but it taught me to let my children explain what they were doing before taking action i understand now why my mom did what she did
while trying to find the twins grave i had a look around for the grave of a little girl who was buried in the 1900 i used to put flower on her grave every time we went down but as the years have passed i cant remember what cemetery it was if i saw it i would remember it i would have loved to put some flower on for her josie

Been To Warstone Lane Today To Visit Our Sister Renee Resting Place.Didn't Do Any Tidying Up Has We Was Going To Witton Cemetery To Visit Our Mom n Dad's Grave.When We Have A Free W/End We Will Go And Do Some Tidying Up Can't Believe The Way The Seedlings Are All Coming Back.Irene

Hi Irene, we went last week and pulled some seedlings out, it's amazing how fast that Mare's-tail weed is growing. I wanted to go back this week to take some weedkiller but events have taken over! (My crown came off and the tooth is broken, have to go back tomorrow to have it out!!) Up on the catacombs the ivy is growing again and there are some large thistle-type things.
rosie.

It's never ending sadly we don't seem to have the organisation to get people together to have a good clear out, especially the catacombs. So much work was done to clear the area by Brian, Leslam and others. It would be a shame for this to become overgrown again. The problem as always is volunteers.

We have been to Warstone Lane today.And cut some of the big branches from by Renee's Resting Place and dragged the branches up to where Brian has the fire.We are hopeing to go very soon to do some more.Every little helps.

i have two memoral card for albert john wakeling died feb the 8th 1902 age 5 months and ( the first name looks like edna ) wakeling died may 20th 1913 age 1 year and a 11months both buried in warstone lane cemetery.
would like to know if they were buried in the same grave and what plot would be gratul for any help
josie

Josie

Albert John Wakeling buried 1902 section O grave 01088

Edna Wakeling buried 1913 section P grave 1967.

wendy
thank you so they are not buried in a family grave by the look of it would you know if their father is buried in warstone lane his name is albert wakeling and died 1916 i know his wife is buried at handsworth with her second husband thomas yates
also if you have a map of where the about the graves are i intend to go to the cemetery in the next few weeks
meny thanks josie

There is an Albert J Wakeling buried 1915 in section P grave no 1714. I am not to familiar with Warstone Lane but I do know a lot of memorials are missing including public graves. I am sorry I can't help more. Here is a map.

Warstone2520Lane2520Cemetery2520Map_edit.jpg

thank you wendy at least i have a good idea now were the graves are and that albert is there thank you for all you help most gratful
josie

josie, if you look at my post #253 I am working on grave O 1048 Eliza Pressdee, I think that O 1088 would be two rows back by the wall where the tree is, and about three rows to the left of the photo.
I hope that makes sense!
rosie.

I always pick litter up when i visit:05.18-flustered: What date is the next clean up:excitement:?

Clean up sessions, from 11am prior to tour, second Sunday in the month.
Next Guided tour is--
Sunday 8 September 2013

Warstone Lane- 12-noon
Key Hill – 2pm

Cost :-
£3.00 per person, per cemetery
£5.00 per person , per cemetery
Accompanied children under 16 –Free

Members Free.

Volunteers needed, also members to join the committee.

Free Event
Heritage Open day-
Saturday 14 September 2013

Self Guided tours in both Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries.

Note:- They will not be any toilet facilities in Cemetery this year.

Last edited:
wendy couldnt we start some sort of fund to get railings round warston lane ? as irene as said we have spent time tidying up, and we dont mind ,we would love to take down those self seeded trees if we could, pam x

With reference to railing being removed a lot of this was done during the war with the belief that they would help the war effort. Sadly it transpired many years later that the metal had little value with regards to the war effort.

Back