• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth

Here's a couple more at different times, and also one of the banqueting suite.

Attachments

• Handsworth Hollyhead Rd Albion Cinema & New Inns.JPG
    Handsworth Hollyhead Rd Albion Cinema & New Inns.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Handsworth New Inns  .jpg
    Handsworth New Inns .jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Handsworth Hollyhead Rd New Inns.JPG
    Handsworth Hollyhead Rd New Inns.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 61
You are right I can see the entrance now in the middle picture, attended a few functions in the suite,had our wedding reception upstairs,a great pub along with the Farcroft, Red Lion,Uplands and many more in Handsworth just in the wrong place when the area went downhill

hello judy

went to st marys school in wills street in the fifties. had our PE every friday in st francis hall in wrethem road.

What a coincidence Regan! I went to Soho College on Soho Hill, and I think our PE day was on Tuesdays. I can remember walking there from school in a crocodile in the early 50s.

Judy

Hi all: New to the forum...Know the area well. Lived off Bacchus Rd. and used the Soho Rd in the 40s & 50s for 'courting'!!!The cinemas' were plentiful, starting with the 'ALBION' then THE REGAL, THE GRAND, THE ELITE, and finally THE PALLADIUM(Hockley Brook). Different film for almost every night of the week...Oh! and went to Handsworth Tech;(behind the library) and spent many years at the Fire Station in Stafford Rd.

To true: Judy, Just been reading back through all the posts on Handsworth.. and savouring some of the photos. noticed the one of 'Bull Baiting' this was carried out at the junction of Nineveh Rd/Park Rd/Bacchus Rd.....Does anyone remember the 'Nineveh Dance Studio' on the corner of Soho Rd. One of my first recollections of Soho Rd was standing opposite PEACOCKS the morning after it was bombed watching the firemen. Never thought I'd end up being one.

Sparkstopper - I was a regular at The Nineveh when I was a teenager. Wednesdays for ballroom lessons, and Saturdays to meet friends and have fun. I used to go there around 1954. I am in touch with others who used to go in those days, and still have my old card too!

Judy

Yea:! Have been back, don't like it!!...My old road has gone.'Allens Rd.' I frequented the Nineveh Studios on and off between 1952/55 until I did my Nat.Service. Also knew an Alan Fisher....Scouts Boulton Rd School not the same one is it?

The Wellington Road photo, I am guessing that was the top end of the road at the junction with Handsworth Wood Road

Thats me,been a long time since we played scrimmage in the hall, I also had a friend who lived in Allens Road, looking down the road he lived in the far right corner house, (Tony Ives) cannot remember the number though,flattened many a penny on the rail tracks at the bottom of his garden, and the track that ran on the high bank too.
1st Handsworth Wood, 121st Birmingham was our scout group if I remember right.

That's the right group: I believe you were friends with John? Patrick. I knew tony, he lived in 'The Triangle' You may remember me: Derek Weston????.. I also used his garden, but we used 6" nails to make knives....They were good times, also later on the 'Soho'...Hope the world has been treating you well. All the best:Derek.

The Wellington Road photo, I am guessing that was the top end of the road at the junction with Handsworth Wood Road

Yes, I can confirm that.

My parent's house is very near so I can recognise it easily, the white house on the right hand side of the photo is still there.

Great to see all the pics of the New Inns. Our apprenticiship night outs were hosted in the Princess Suite when we had our passing out do's - around 1977. Well remember that big round clock. Also used to attend scouts at Boulton Rd (1966ish).

Hello Steve,Just thought I would mention It was the Princes Suite not the Princess Suite,seem to remember being told the Prince of Wales opened it in the early 1900s,also was the scout group the same as the group I mention earlier on this thread.

The top end of Holly Lane as I remember with the park entrance on the right and a sweet shop on the left.
I lived round the corner in Lansdowne Road, used to walk down Holly Lane every morning to the number 69 bus stop to catch the outer circle bus to Erdington Grammar oh Happy Days!!!!!!!! The houses down the bottom end always seemed very posh to me then.

Most of the housing stock in Heathfield Road/Holly Lane etc seems to be still there Carol. They knew how to build 'em in those days!
Handsworth was posh back in the day, I think that's why my mother wanted to live there.
She had aspirations! (No money, but lots of aspirations):emmersed:

I think Charlie, that nearly all our Moms had, (no money and aspirations), looking back, it was funny how my moms accent would go from dead Brummy, to posh, when speaking to the Vicar, or doctor, or even the tallyman.paul

Hello Shortie

I see that your husband lived in Hutton road at 151 does he remember the Cotons at 153 i still see Terry. I lived at 103 from 1939 till 1963. my brother still lives there.

Hi Shorties better half here -Yes i remember the Cotons -I used to play in the garden with Rita and got sent to bed one day for hitting her with a paling (i was about 4) .

Lads I remember from from our end are David Hook and Peter Howells

I have a photo of me and Rita somewhere which I can dig out if youre interested

Regards

Blimey - I remember Terry Coton! I think he used to play with Alan Faulkener, John Lloyd and Philip Harris, all from Putney Road/Hutton Road in the fifties. We used to go up to the railway line path between Hamstead Road and Wellington Road to play cowboy and indians and Kick The Can at the island by the Robert Road/Church Vale shops.
I know ... I was a bit of a tomboy!

Back