• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apparently wore leggings when I was little as the pic below shows ! I used to catch the No 8 several times a week at Park St/High St to go to the Ice Rink. The footpath in Park St was very narrow.
View attachment 86746

smashing photo phil..looks like you were were born to be on wheels lol...phil wasnt it park lane not park st that had the narrow pavement..used to have to breath in...

lyn

This photo looks a bit weird to me. The bloke in sunglasses seems to be holding an 'A3' sign and the people near the bus seem to be emerging from the bus engine.Parts of their bodies seem lost! Has the #160 bus travelling up Corporation St been superimposed? Has the 'A3'' man in sunglasses escaped from a Monty Python sketch. Is it me or ............ I sense this photo has been 'fiddled with'. Viv.

It looks to me like the 'A3' is attached to the downpipe on the building... a group of people on the 'zebra' crossing in front of the standing bus, also the patiently waiting scooter rider (is that a Vespa) and of course... look at that smart E-Type

smashing photo phil..looks like you were were born to be on wheels lol...phil wasnt it park lane not park st that had the narrow pavement..used to have to breath in...

lyn
Hi Lyn, Yes I thought it didn't look right when I typed it - happy memories of the times I caught the No 8 for a fun night out at the rink. It's strange how comments about an old pic brings back memories, I now remember girls walking home from school with those covered baskets, I think the boys had woodwork lessons and usually made something not worth taking home. I still wonder about the pic and what its purpose was. The photographer must have been standing in the road, and I get the impression that the bus is rather full.
Phil

morning phil...i used to be one of those girls with the cookery baskets..remember them so well..if you look at the pic on post 276 of my old school i can tell you than when our mom was there in the 1940s the building on the left and out buildings were used for house wifery so it could be that cookery was part of the learning process...the bus stop was just up from there...

lyn

It looks to me like the 'A3' is attached to the downpipe on the building... a group of people on the 'zebra' crossing in front of the standing bus, also the patiently waiting scooter rider (is that a Vespa) and of course... look at that smart E-Type
I hadn't noticed the waiting Vespa in #41, but the Jag has either parked on the zebra crossing or driven across while people are on the crossing, and there are theories in other posts that the man is running from the Jag. One guy on the extreme right seems to be looking at the photographer. The pic given us a bit of fun thinking about it and seeing the running man in other pics ! Maybe we will never know why the photo was taken...:courage:

View attachment 86751 Can,t make out if the two little boys are having a wee or looking at something.
Hi Topsy - They look mighty suspicious and up to something and they have stopped by the boarded up shop. I notice there are two more youngsters looking at the picture adverts on the front of the Hippodrome!!
That van parked by them has a very tall pole with an X shaped aerial on top and a cable going towards the Hippodrome. I can't read the words on the side of the van but I think I can see a crown...wonder what it was doing ?

Hi Topsy - They look mighty suspicious and up to something and they have stopped by the boarded up shop. I notice there are two more youngsters looking at the picture adverts on the front of the Hippodrome!!
That van parked by them has a very tall pole with an X shaped aerial on top and a cable going towards the Hippodrome. I can't read the words on the side of the van but I think I can see a crown...wonder what it was doing ?

Looks like 'Post Office' on the side of the vehicle. It must have stopped off at the Burlington Restaurant. Often wondered what the place was before it was the Elbow Room. Remember the great big red weighing scales in Woolworths? There's one in the window. Viv.

Lyn, l too was one of the " basket girls" l attended Burlington st snr girls school , and we had to go all the way to albert road sch to do our home making lessons...l did learn a lot mostly about cooking as mom had me do everything but cook....l do remember we did'nt have electric irons and we had to use the old iron irons and they had to be heated on the stove....l thought how antiquated as we had the electric irons at home, but it really made us realize how modern we were and how hard it must have been for the housewife years before...l remember mom saying there was was nothing good about the good old days as regards the housewife it was all hard work and going by todays standards of electrical appliances etc, it really was....Brenda.

hi brenda i went to lozells girls school but had to go accross to burlington st school for cookery..needlework and pottery...loved pottery because we had such fun making a mess lol..when we lived in my nans back to back she only ever had a flat iron..no tv just a little radio..no doubt about it though..back in the day the housewifes job was not an easy one..

topsy ive looked at the pic so many times but until you pointed it out i never twigged that the the elbow room used to be the burlington restaurant so thanks for bringing it up...

lyn

mystery solved..the girls with the baskets were standing next to the home organisation house which tought the girls the delights of bed making..floor sweeping..wash clothes and cookery..they are a with with their teacher and are off for a picnic in the park as part of their domestic science course...this pic is also in the book and show the girls training at the back of the home organisation house...
there are some great pics in the inner circle 8 book including one of my back garden in villa st which i treasure..

SCHOOL 029.JPG

Last edited:
mystery solved..the girls with the baskets were standing next to the home organisation house
View attachment 86752
Super pic Lyn, I like that little rocking horse and that small toy mangle, and the girl starting the training at a young age !
It is interesting how those covered baskets and memories of school cookery classes finally led to the solving of the mystery, and some of us have also owned up to wearing leggings when we were little !

its a cracking pic phil...im sure ive got a photo of me in leggings...must hunt it out...

A bit of info on the GPO licence. Didn't t know licence detection was around in the 1950s. Viv.

"As part of the Post Office campaign to track down users of unlicenced sets, the first TV detector van was constructed in 1952. The detection equipment in the van had been developed at the radio experimental laboratories of the Post Office in Dollis Hill, London. The van was then demonstrated in front of then Postmaster General, Lord De La Warr and Assistant Postmaster General Mr Gammans. In articles covering the demonstration, the Postmaster General was quoted as saying: “The equipment, which is suitable for fitting in a standard Post Office Radio Interference van, enables the majority of working television receivers on both sides of the road to be detected, and the houses containing the receivers to be located, as the vans move along the road”. Viv.

Talking of leggins, I seem to remember my sisters wearing them, did they require a sort of hook to do them up with?

Nick

Looking at Terrypin's video he seems to have got a pic of a newspaper seller using a mobile phone in 1938 !
Apologies Terry - see what happens when you put a video on here !!...:rolleyes:
mobile_28Medium29.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back