• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first looked at this photo, I thought is it a pic of a special No 8 Inner Circle bus, or about window cleaner's carts parked by bus stops, or is there someone famous in that bus queue ? The footpath looks rather narrow for a bus queue, the youngster by the bus stop doesn't look too happy in his hat, and his twin looks down at his leggings and shoes .... it is a mystery pic !
Image1turning_From_Gerrard_St__bus_stop_in_Nursery_Rd.jpg

Last edited:
The bus stop looks to me like it's been added to the original image. Its position looks very close to the wall and is probably too high. In magnification you can see the marks of cloning i.e a slight halo effect around the sign. Viv.

Hi Viv - I've had a look at the bus stop and it looks ok to me, and one of our members has stood there waiting for a bus as she mentioned below....
#89 Smashing picture at the No 8 bus stop . Stood there many of time waiting for the bus to take us to The Roller Rink Spring Hill. The Union pub is at the back of the bus (not literaly)

That would have been late forties or early fifties I think. The bus looks a bit run down and remember well those old busses leaning a bit in the corners or just from the camber of the road. I think I would be a bit grumpy about being dressed in leggings...the horror of it.

hi viv ;
thats the bus stop just before potters hill i can recall that bus with out no messing
and across the other side of the rd was the little or lower bartons bank which took you down to the hippo;
and the barton arms pub ;and more or less it was the same as it was like the bus stop next to the wall only across the rd there was no foot pathe for the public when headingto the old six ways which was nly yards around that corner of a bend
the number eight bus was so close you could touch the printing company windows as it was pasing almost scraping the wall and the turning was close to the second hand dealers windows as it pulled around the corner stopping at thje jellied heels shop of the well known people whom is momentry slipping from my mind as i am in a hurry to travel back down to brum ;
have a nice day every body Astonian;

Rupert, I had an outfit just like that,, leggings and all!! Must try and find the photo.

Judy

The caption on the original post was
Turning from Gerrard Street to Nursery Rd
bus stop

Bus stop were like that in many places. There is still one on a narrow pavement in Harborne High Street and another stop right on a corner so that modern front entrance buses stop across a side road.

Hi Viv - I've had a look at the bus stop and it looks ok to me, and one of our members has stood there waiting for a bus as she mentioned below....

Thanks all, although it still looks odd to me. The photographer's focus was definitely the people. They're very well dressed and one woman's basket has something she's prepared in it, hence the tea towel cover. Wonder where they were off to? Where did the #8 go to from here? Wonder if they were off for a day out somewhere and maybe a picnic? Viv.

I reckon they were all saying thank goodness for that, the bus has arrive at last. the children look fed up and the adults not much better!
Sue

I thought the girls with the baskets were going home from school after cookery classes. The No.8 bus would be heading towards Hockley from that stop.

Sylvia great minds think alike, thats exactly what I thought. Mind you it didnt stop the stew splashing up your legs when the bus jolted.:encouragement:

Carolin and Sylvia, that idea takes me back to one of my first senior school cookery lessons, we had to have the wicker baskets with the covers and had made Angel Delight - mom was disgusted anyway at making packet mixes instead of cooking - and mine would not set, we'd had the milk amount checked, all of us whisked away, everyone elses thickened beautifully, mine was like chocolate milk, even after the afternoon in the freezer, it still wasn't set, you can guess what a state I got home in lol.
Sue

I also had an outfit with leggings - have a photo of it - don't know the colour. This is a very interesting thread.
Sheri

The Bus stop was a little way past the Caretakers house belonging to Lozells Girls school near to the corner of Berners St .

I apparently wore leggings when I was little as the pic below shows ! I used to catch the No 8 several times a week at Park St/High St to go to the Ice Rink. The footpath in Park St was very narrow.
On Bike Perry Common.jpg

Old Mowhawk and Sheri - I found the photo of me in my leggings. I didn't look too pleased about them either! Loved your photo Old Mowhawk and your tricycle.

Leggings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back