• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castle Bromwich clubs

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Any one remember the club that use to be on what is now the site of Halfords and Aldi on the Chester Rd, next to Morrisons? it had 2 names if I remember correctly, the Rob Roy and the Chesterfield. This would have been the late 50's and early 60's. I never drank in there as I was too young:cry:. If I'm right, I think the then owner of Redcrofts may have had something to do with it, though I would'nt bet my shirt on it.

Terry

Terry I remember the Chesterfield Club it was quite posh with sofa's and comfortable chairs. Michael and I went a couple of times this would have been early 70's. I think it's been mentioned on the forum before.:)

Any one remember the club that use to be on what is now the site of Halfords and Aldi on the Chester Rd, next to Morrisons? it had 2 names if I remember correctly, the Rob Roy and the Chesterfield. This would have been the late 50's and early 60's. I never drank in there as I was too young:cry:. If I'm right, I think the then owner of Redcrofts may have had something to do with it, though I would'nt bet my shirt on it.

Terry
yes i remember the rob roy when you walked in with a neck tie on they would cut it off and pin it on the wall it was an all male club dont know who owned it called the chesterfield some time after

I used to work at the Chesterfield Club (formerly BelAir). Charlie Phillips of Redcroft Timber owned the place. Can't remember Mrs Phillips' name but can picture her. They had a young son called David, I think, and he was allowed to drive Charlie's jag around the carpark when he was about 10 despite the fact that other cars, including mine, were parked there!!! Precocious little brat if I remember correctly! Mrs Phillips' sister Molly lived above the club with her son Frank who did some decorating for us once!! It was a wonderful place to go in the mid 60's. They used to do dinner dances at weekends and I used to work until about 2 am. Other nights in the weeks were disco nights and closed at 11 pm. I lived in Castle Bromwich, Hodge Hill end. Ashville avenue to be precise. My stomping ground was more Coleshill and Water Orton. Happy days?

You are right on most counts. The owner's name was Dave, not Charlie and I have a way of knowing this as he was my Dad. He was married to my Mom Joan. I'm the precocious little brat you see and at that age I was! More 'spoiled' brat I would say but that's what happens when your parents ran their timber yard from 8:30 in the morning until 6 o'clock at night and then running the club from about 7 until around 2am. Kid's get material things instead hence 'spoiled'. I used to drive his Jag (LOC 100F) and all of the vehicles around the yard and club car park and the only time I came into contact with another car was when someone drove into the car park with the back door of their car wide open and there was no room for me to get out of the way. Yours was always safe.

Molly was my Dad's Sister in Law and she was married to Dad's Brother Jim. They did have a son (my Cousin) Frankie who is still a painter and decorator. He had a Sister named Margaret who moved away to Wales but sadly died some years ago.

Dave, my Dad (not Charlie) died just over 30 years ago and Mom died 3 years ago. He ran Redcroft for 26 years in all and I have worked it for 41 years so far. I try to spoil myself these days.

I remember your name but I can't put a face to you but I'll bet there are plenty who can.

Well done on most counts and don't hesitate to reminisce again. I'll try not to have a tantrum.

The owner of Redcroft took on the club when it was the Rob Roy. He opened it in the 60's under the name Bel-Air and later as the Chesterfield Club. When 2 occupations got too much, he sub let it and it became the Westbank.

David! How amazing to get your reply! I'm deeply embarrassed/ashamed to have referred to you as a precocious brat :( apologies!!! Of course, your mum & dad were Joan & Dave - can still picture you all! If you email me [email protected] I'll send you a picture which may jolt your memory though you were quite small when I worked there c.1966/67/68! I left Brum in 1969 and lived in Swansea for nearly 30 years but have lived with my husband Jim in Colchester for 15 years. I'm also on facebook Ingrid Ransome (Ingrid Martin) only one of me!

Hi Redcroft 286 or should I say Dave, we used to play snooker and drink together at the Castle Bromwich Mens Club back in the late 70's early 80's. You took me back to your house once on the front of Redcrofts where we had a game of snooker and a drink, don't know if you will remember that or me.

Terry

I'm fine thanks Terry. I actually went in the mens club last night for the first time since I paid my subs back in January. A couple of iffy year of bad health sounds bad but please that is behind you. Nice hearing from you and keep in touch. Regards Dave

I'm fine thanks Terry. I actually went in the mens club last night for the first time since I paid my subs back in January. A couple of iffy year of bad health sounds bad but please that is behind you. Nice hearing from you and keep in touch. Regards Dave

You still a member? blimey, I was'nt sure if it was still going, I'll have to pop up to Redcrofts one of the days for a chat, thats if you are there.

Terry

Any one remember the working mans club on kingshurst by the lake was a wooden when it was first put their
Yes, my father was club secretary there at one time. I can recall him and others going round house to house in Kingshurst before it was built signing up new members and collecting subscriptions. I never went there myself even after I was old enough to drink.

Does anyone remember the little club in castle Bromwich? Used to be by Hickory’s (previously the coach and horses?)

Hi Ian, I saw your post while looking up the name of the Bel Air Club. I saw Jasper Carrott there over fifty years ago. I am going to see him again this Sunday in Stratford upon Avon!! His Rock show is supposed to be really good all these years on....
I lived in the houses, on the other side of the main road, almost opposite to you, when a teenager. I don't expect you to remember me, but I do remember going to a party at your house. I hope you are still enjoying yourself, Yvonne.

Hi Ian, I saw your post while looking up the name of the Bel Air Club. I saw Jasper Carrott there over fifty years ago. I am going to see him again this Sunday in Stratford upon Avon!! His Rock show is supposed to be really good all these years on....
I lived in the houses, on the other side of the main road, almost opposite to you, when a teenager. I don't expect you to remember me, but I do remember going to a party at your house. I hope you are still enjoying yourself, Yvonne.
Hi Yvonne,
Nice to hear from you, were you Brenda Price's friend?

Hi Ian - yes that was me. I looked up some dates re Jasper Carrott, and think that club must have been The Chesterfield when he appeared there.
It was very pleasant to receive your reply.

Back