• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

The Gullet started at the junction of James Watt St/Stafford St/Coleshill St. At the eastern end of Dale End. It's the narrow alley just to the left of Stafford St. Probably the upper end was cleared during the Corporation St. construction but it seems that the lower end remained including the buildings in the photo. The map is 1890. The print on the lane says The Gullet but it is not very discernable. There are better maps that show the print better and others pre this one that show the further extent northwards. The No.10 tram past that corner going both ways but I can't remember if it was still there in the late 40s or early 50s. Must have past it so many times. Lnk below. This has all been on here before bu probably erased.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=2524&oy=474&zm=1&czm=1&x=333&y=243

Thank's, did part of Lawrence Street disappear and become Ryder Street?.

You know I seem to have looked at this before and I believe that the name of Lawrence St. did change at the jog but can't remember if the latter name is right.

I think the 5th picture of Alum Rock shows "Stannards" which I think was a stationers. As a schoolboy I remember buying fountain pens there. It was always a ritual - having selected your pen it was pumped up with ink using the little lever on the side, followed by a few words of copperplate - then wrapped in tissue. Service ....what ever happened to it?

Paul

img604.jpgpretty ive not seen this one before...great shot of the bartons arms and the hippodrome dated 1972....high st to the left of the bartons and potters hill to the right...barton st first right just past the hip (white car) potters hill then running up over park lane and up to victoria road...what i love about this one is we can still some of the old buildings at the top end of potters hill...

lyn

Great photo Lyn. It's like the remaining buildings are waiting their turn to be demolished, but I know the Barton's is still there. Is the Elbow Room? Lurched out of there many Saturday nights and stood opposite waiting for a cab. Had some great times. Viv.

hi viv...yes i dont think the remaining buildings would have been up much longer...elbow room and the building on the corner still there..viv thats the first time ive ever heard of anyone lurching out of a night club lol...never went in it myself...

lyn

hi viv...yes i dont think the remaining buildings would have been up much longer...elbow room and the building on the corner still there..viv thats the first time ive ever heard of anyone lurching out of a night club lol...never went in it myself...

lyn

'Lurching' is a special skill Lyn which can only to be achieved under the influence of many rum and blacks, a barley wine or two and a good blast of fresh air on exiting the building!

Thanks Ell. Don't really know what to make of the drums! The Elbow Room always looked out of place next to the Hipp but oddly now blends in a little more. Viv.

vi.back in the day i used to drink barley wines..not much in the bottles but boy when one stepped outside the world started to spin...now i know remember what lurching was...lol

vi.back in the day i used to drink barley wines..not much in the bottles but boy when one stepped outside the world started to spin...now i know remember what lurching was...lol

You can get the same effect with real farmhouse cider (scrumpy). I think cider is the cheaper of the two and you get it in pints.:tranquillity:

A 10 oz striploin Julia ou jou bedecked with mushrooms with mashed and brocoli and a nice bottle of cabernet. Yeah I can see that....Scottie...beam it here.

Interesting video, there's the Potters Hill one here also. For Blue noses some old shots of St Andrews...
[video=youtube;Q6zi8xCqtE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zi8xCqtE0[/video]

What an amazing interior the Red Lion has Brumgum. Let's hope it re-opens as a restaurant and they can retain this.

What a great collection of pictures.

Post No. 10 I remember the Victory Cafe was a bit further from town than Snowhill. I used it when I worked at Cannings and the cafe was dead opposite, where Livery Street runs into Gt. Hampton Row. I believe there's a nursery on that site now.

Last edited:
Yes it was a fantastic gloriuos pub i always finished my milk rund of handsworth there in the sixtys and we used it as a passing through pubwhen we and my mates done the pub crawl from spring hill to the brook ; [hockley ] right up to the boundry of west bromwich at the old star and garter
and end up at the monticala club on soho rd after closing time and spent the night until sixx in the morning drinking barli wines and getting sober for work
unfortunealate it was let down by management and later was taken over by an asian family manament and the windows never got cleaned as well as the interior
so the regular custers dived across the road to the barrell pub a little quaint pub ; then it was closed down after looseing its trade of customers ;
best wishes Astonian;;

One for the Ghost Sign thread. Times change...what happens to all of the beer now...less barrel and more bottle? Less drinking out and more at home or less drinking totally.

One for the Ghost Sign thread. Times change...what happens to all of the beer now...less barrel and more bottle? Less drinking out and more at home or less drinking totally.
All these but for this pub it would be population change also, Handsworth is now very multi cultural but so is the area around the Bartons and the Black Eagle is just down the road and both these are very successful so it could work if the right owner took possession.
https://www.theblackeaglepub.co.uk/

Re: THE BULL RING

I just found this old postcard dated 1954 i thought i share it with you.View attachment 86412

And here is exactly the same view from the tragic war years, dated 6 May 1941. From the Daily Mirror archive, most recent additions on their website
00465673.jpg

https://www.mirrorpix.com/webgate/preview.php?UURL=b57609715ad1e1c1076b6358b9c40b99&IMGID=00465673

Back