• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stockland Green

nickcc101

master brummie
Hello jennyann

Reading about the Plaza on Stockland Green can you tell me where abouts it was located in relation to Stockland Garage ? I worked for Stocklands for over 4 years back in the middle sixties and can't remember ever seeing the Plaza, can remember the pub next door where many of our drivers spent their spare time but that's another story :)

The Plaza was on the corner of Marsh Lane and Streetly Road, directly opposite the pub.

Stockland Garage now a Kwik Fit Tyre centre.

Last edited:
Right on Alberta. The Plaza Cinema opened in 1928.(There is a photo on this site: https://www.smallheathcircle.co.uk/brum-cinemas.html
This site has black and white photos of all the Birmingham cinemas we all remember.

niccc101,did you work for the McLoughlans? They owned the Stockland Garage for many years, father and brothers. The Stockland Inn was right next door and is now operating as a Chinese restaurant called "Modern China".
Over the years Stockland Green has changed and is a very busy traffic interchange these days.

Yes I worked for Mr John and Mr Ian, when I started as a PSV mechanic in 1964 they both lived in the houses next door to the garage, still can't for the life of me remember the Plaza must be an age thing. Many happy memmories of Stocklands just a shame Bowens bought them out. Rarely saw Mr Irony (spelling) as he had retired before I started.

Last edited:
plaza.jpg[
picture and details of Plaza Stockland Green

QUOTE=nickcc101;487926]Yes I worked for Mr John and Mr Ian, when I started as a PSV mechanic in 1964 they both lived in the houses next door to the garage, still can't for the life of me remember the Plaza must be an age thing. Many happy memmories of Stocklands just a shame Bowens bought them out. Rarely saw Mr Irony (spelling) as he had retired before I started.[/QUOTE]

View attachment 90612[
picture and details of Plaza Stockland Green

QUOTE=nickcc101;487926]Yes I worked for Mr John and Mr Ian, when I started as a PSV mechanic in 1964 they both lived in the houses next door to the garage, still can't for the life of me remember the Plaza must be an age thing. Many happy memmories of Stocklands just a shame Bowens bought them out. Rarely saw Mr Irony (spelling) as he had retired before I started.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Ray but still can't remember the Plaza. Remember the paper shop opposite Stocklands on Marsh lane and all the aggro we got when we closed the garage entrance once a year so it wasn't classed as a right of way, seems strange when you could walk a few yards up the road and not have to walk through the garage.

The newsagents was Patterson's. My brother had a paper route for them in the l950's. We bought all our papers from Patterson's and I often wsent in to "pay the papers". Patterson's totally rebuilt the front of the building before they opened the shop. They bought two houses and converted them into the shop. Today, you can still see the new brickwork on the front of the shop. They sold toys,stationery, sweets, etc. It was a very nice shop. I used to do my brothers paper rounds when he was ill or late coming from KE Five Ways. He delivered twice a day. The route was off Streetly Road behind the Plaza Cinema.

Can't even make a guess at where this is in Stockland Green. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 78
Can't even make a guess at where this is in Stockland Green. Viv.

Vivienne

What I know about trams you could write on the back of a postage stamp, but as there are no further overhead cables behind the tram I think it's safe to assume that it is a terminus. The photo looks pre 1920's to me and I think the sign behind the tram might be something to do with the Stockland Green Inn that opened in 1924. This photo might indeed be of the same terminus some few years later (on the left of the photo). You will note I use a lot of ifs and might's.

Attachments

• stockland green tram terminus.JPG
    stockland green tram terminus.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 64
This shows the tram lines c 1915 and agrees with you Phil. the road off to the immediate right is Reservoir road, and the map shows Marsh lane curving off to the right past it
The red arrow shows appeox position of photographer

map_c_1915_stockland_green.jpg

Thanks Phil and Mike. Would never have got that one, even though I went to school just around the corner! Viv.

Mike

To me it looks like the photo was taken from Reservoir Road, looking towards March Hill (the bus) and the Stockland Pub, Chinese restaurant, Indian restaurant.... whatever it is now; I think the tram is on Slade Road.

Mortum
There are no tramlines marked on Reservoir road and the lines run towards the photographer

smashing photo viv....cinema still there although has been a bingo hall for many years and whatever that large plinth is on the opposite corner i dont think its there now

lyn

Do you mean the phone box Lyn ? Well I think it’s a phone box with the pointed top (to the right by the signpost) ? Viv.

Back