• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Great thread. My Mum was born in a rat infested back-to-back at Hermon Row, off Tomey Rd in Greet. All gone now but I recently found an old map showing where it used to be. My Grandfather spent way too much time at the Wagon & Horses, just recently closed, round the corner on the Warwick Rd. Did anyone else see the Chris Upton piece the Beeb did some time ago on the subject of back-to-back living?
The BCT & NT restored a couple of back-to-back houses on Inge St. Not surprisingly the restorations were a lot nicer than the reality portrayed in the images Lyn posted. Tough times and tough people!

IMG_3474.jpg

Last edited:
hi urtrino i like that saying....tough times tough people...the restored court 11 back to backs at hurst st/inge street are well worth a visit minus the rats of course lol...the tour guides leave you in no doubt just how harsh living conditions were...ive been 4 times now the last time was last chirstmas for the carols in the courtyard..really enjoyed it and birmingham is so lucky to have the houses still in situ..

lyn

Just spent about an hour reading posts in this forum and it is amazing! I have ancestors who lived in Hawkes Street, Greenway Street, Cooksey Road, Arthur Street and Bolton Road from about 1880 to 1935 and I have learnt so much about how the living conditions must of been for them. What amazes me is they look so clean, people seemed to take pride in what they had back then not like now where everyone expects so much more. Thank you so much for the contributions and hopefully you'll like mine. This is, I believe my Great Great Great Uncle Harry Bown, he was born in 3 Laburnum Terrace Hawkes Street, Small Heath. Not sure if the photo was taken there but I hope you like it all the same.

Harry Bown.jpg

what a lovely picture, old wooden tubs you couldnt let dry out, dollies and the old mangle, had my fingers pinched in them a few times
luckily mom always took off the tension

hi bernie oxford terrace and primrose place are new to me hope you dont mind if i save them...the one of hanley st has always been one of my favourites but i think it got lost due to the hacking so thanks for re posting it...such a typical scene of the day...

lyn

thanks bernie..i reckon i must have posted at least 4000 pics before we lost them all..most i have saved but some not and i am slowly trying to get them back on here again..always good to see new ones though

cheers

lyn

I came across this picture on the computer the other day,the caption read Betty Burden,Shopgirl Birmingham 1951.
I wonder if anyone recognises either of the subjects?

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 172
what a delightful pic moss so if any of betty burdens rellies are out there we would love to hear from lyn

They're coming back very slowly Lyn I keep them then I can't remember where they were from and you don't want to keep duplicating them but there are some really good pics on here now even after the hacking , probably hundreds still missing though .Bernie

They're coming back very slowly Lyn I keep them then I can't remember where they were from and you don't want to keep duplicating them but there are some really good pics on here now even after the hacking , probably hundreds still missing though .Bernie

same thing here bernie its just not always possable to recall where we have posted every single one before the hacking but i always think its better to duplicate than to not have them at all...hoping to get a few more of mine on next week..

lyn

ahh so thats what its all about richie..smashing pic of betty and her friend...if only we knew what street or road it was taken in...

thanks richie

Back